Profile for Mr. T. White > Reviews

Content by Mr. T. White
Top Reviewer Ranking: 289

Mr. T. White (London, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Why Beautiful People Have More Daughters: From Dating, Shopping, and Praying to Going to War and Becoming a Billionaire - Two Evolutionary Psychologis
by Alan S. Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book & Learn Something about How the Social World We Know Is Not Exactly The World We Think We Know. & Moreover - Why!?, 28 July 2015
An unbelievably interesting book. And firstly may I just say - the "....wit" who gave this one star obviously doesn't know his elbow from his wrist.

Anybody who is capable of thinking will revel in the many, many wonders exposed by both Miller and the late Satoshi Kanazawa's most impressive work on evolutionary psychology. Actually, just writing that term, evolutionary psychology, will sound alarm bells in some, but it really shouldn't: you are here in for an instantly fascinating, and always easily accessible read. There are no generalizations here, because this book is very carefully footnoted with extensive referencing throughout.

Yet it's still a book for everyone of the few of we who enjoy thinking for thinking's sake (and I'm sure you know what I mean in saying that!).

Buy this book and learn something about how the world we know is not exactly the world we think we know. And more importantly, why!?
Because this is one of the most interesting psychology books I've ever read, I most surely give it an unquestionable 5/5

PS if you want to believe anyone who gave it less than 5/5, just read their other reviews for all the reasons why they're so very blissfully mistaken. 'Nuff said...

Samsung Extra Spare Replacement Battery Kit for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - White
Samsung Extra Spare Replacement Battery Kit for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - White
Offered by Zeto UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth paying a bit extra for the peace of mind - as it's definitely a genuine Samsung battery (..cough) not always easy to find!, 12 July 2015
This is a one hundred percent genuine Samsung battery, together with a mini USB charging case of sorts. It doesn't come with any micro USB wire, but I've been successfully charging mine with a solar charger over the summer, and just by using free sunlight and solar charging kit, I'm managing to charge mine within 4-5 hours. YMMV.

The ultra magnificent benefit to buying this particular battery (i.e., nevermind its case, which isn't too shabby either) is the fact that you are most definitely buying a genuine battry cell from Samsung. Believe me, there are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many fakes around, that it actually makes sense to pay a little more simply for the guarantee that you are here buying an absolutely authentic Samsung battery. Those wretched fakers obviously can't be bothered to manufacture the so called "kit" surrounding this battery, and that fact in and of itself make it well worth your while to buy one which is guaranteed to be Samsung OEM.

As for performance, mine's honestly working noticeably better than that which was supplied with the Note 4. Now that's saying something!

The only negative I can think of is that, even when charging from the mains, it actually works faster just charging the battery directly from within your phone as opposed to if you're using this kit - as it somehow charges slower when in the kit. Or at least that's been my honest experience. I'm just so pleased to be able to buy a genuine Samsung battery, without any worries about fakery, that that fact matters nothing to me. And nor should it matter to you! In other words - buy this and you won't regret it. 5/5

Galaxy Note 4 Case, Caseology [Bumper Frame] Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Case [Carbon Fiber Black] Slim Fit Skin Cover [Shock Absorbent] TPU Bumper Galaxy Note 4 Case [Made in Korea] (for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 AT&T Sprint, T-mobile, Unlocked)
Offered by MODN Mall

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Case But Simply Not Tough Enuogh - Crack In Corner Showed After Only First Drop!!, 22 May 2015
Mine's in Carbon Fibre, and it's certainly a very smart looking case. The pictures for it are accurate. However...

My problem with it is this: on the day I received it, I fitted the case (which was very easy) and a few hours later, accidentally my N4 dropped to the ground from where I was sitting. I then couldn't believe my eyes - when I noticed that the case had already, with just that one drop, cracked! Yes, cracked! Where it hit the ground, from my seated position, the corner of the case immediately cracked, and that's just not good enough. I can only imagine that the other reviewers have yet to drop their phones, before reviewing so highly, but mine cracked too easily, and far too soon.

Hence 3/5 is a fair score.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 4G SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 4G SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Offered by RAY STEP

4.0 out of 5 stars Attention Samsung. Attention Writers - why does the Note 4 force updates onto everyone regardless of phone settings??, 19 May 2015
The Samsung Note 4 running Kitkat 4.4.4 is a work of near perfection, as far as I'm concerned. In fact I actually bought my Note 4 because I thought I was buying it to use with Kitkat Android 4.4.4., with the choice to keep Kitkat if I so chose. But no!

No matter how I much I attempt to deactivate update, no matter how many times I have to factory reset my phone, once the huge secretly downloaded update inevitably appears, the same thing happens every time - my choice as to which operating system I wish to keep on my phone is removed against my will: Lollipop downloads in the background, without my permission, and then I get repeated demands to install it.

This is wrong. Period. Wrong!

We the people should have the real choice, not the false choice, as to whether we actually want to update our Samsung Note 4's. But from my repeated & recent experiences, I have now learned that the update option on the phone is a complete sham: everyone is actually forced to update to Lollipop no matter how much you like Kitkat, and this is plain wrong.

Why should I, and everyone else, who is completely happy with Kitkat 4.4.4. (the operating system which we understood we were buying the phone to use) be disallowed from exercsing the choice to keep Kitkat and not to update? I don't want Lollipop. But Samsung fool people into thinking that updating is a choice. It isn't a choice. Anyone is welcome to test this for himself if I'm not believed.

Simply get a new Note 4, and untick any update settings you can find on the phone. Switch on wi-fi and simply use the phone for four or five days, innocently thinking that you've prevented your operating system from changing. You'll see, after several days, exactly what I've discovered too: that the phone stealthily downloads nearly a gigabyte of data, on your wireless connection and without even a single tick of your acceptance in advance.

Utterly disgraceful Samsung!!!

I give the phone 4/5 stars with Kitkat 4.4.4. only for this reason. Other than that, it's a brilliant piece of hardware, with the best camera I've ever experienced on a phone, and even most recent prosumer cameras are bested by its camera. Sound quality and screen are class leading too. But the utterly disgraceful forced updates should not be tolerated by anybody, and I can only hope more people pick up on the forced operating system update issue - so that Samsung can soon be held to account for same.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2015 6:56 AM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiio X3 2nd Gen versus Fiio X3 1st Gen - The Old Versus The new!, 26 April 2015
Test setup: Audio Technica ATH A900X "Art" Monitor headphones (professional monitor class) Fiio X3 Generation 2, FW version 1.0. Fiio X3 generation 1 FW version 3.0 (frankly, as some say, and I'd agree, from FW version 3.4 onwards, when the graphic equalizer was introduced, the SQ of the 1st gen Fiio was IMO 'changed' too, so I use FW up to version 3.0 of the 1st gen Fiio - without the introduced equalizer)

To begin, I'll cut to the chase. Firstly, some reviewers spend most time in their reviews talking about aesthetics, form and function. Let me make this clear: I buy a DAP for one reason only - because I would hope it sounds brilliant! Regardless, *if* you're after a "Grado" like sound - slightly on the warm side, a mellow/'comforting' sound that's slightly more warm than detailed or expansive, then this is your audiophile digital audio player. No doubt about it: buy it. For then, the 2nd gen X3 will be your winner. What's more, the new X3 generation 2, is, arguably, a bit of a beauty too!

With that being said, your reviewer prefers an open, expansive and detailed sound - right through the musical range, from the lowest bass to the highest treble - where every harmonic is almost given air to breathe, and because such is my preference, I honestly still prefer the sound of the 1st generation Fiio. Not that the 1st gen sound is perfect. Just that it's closer to that which I'm always seeking. What's more, I use some of the most acclaimed monitor grade headphones to review, so that they don't add or subtract to the overall musical equation. Then again, and in all sincerity, I found that the SQ of the newer generation of Fiio X3, is closer to that of the iBasso DX50 than it is (even!) to its own sibling! If anything, that discovery blew my mind the most. But then again, just look at the success of the iBasso player (which I would also, in all fairness, put down to the fact that iBassos feature very easily changeable batteries) and you can come to understand why Fiio were, in all likelihood, (at least!) mindful of their competitors when designing the 2nd gen X3.

At this point I have to stress that I personally bought my player, so in no way was it given to me as a complimentary unit for reviewing purposes. The sellers are no doubt aware that I'm a top reviewer here, but I still had to pay the full ask for this player, so these are most unquestionably my personal feelings in this review. I am still grateful to EA (who are well known Amazon marketplace sellers here) for their giving me the opportunity to buy this player sooner rather than later, and I will certainly buy from them again. However, I must stress that these are still very much my personal feelings, as I purchased this player outright with my money.

Aside from the most important element of any portable DAP - how it sounds, the next matters are form and function: Most would say the presentation of the newer generation of Fiio X3 is an improvement over its forebears. Myself, I would not disagree. However, I also have no great complaints (apart, that is, from its non-changeable battery!) about the earlier gen of Fiio X3, which is (as I write) now becoming very hard to buy new - without having to import it from the Orient, I might add. Fiio have largely disontinued from sale the 1st gen X3, which I would say is a shame, for now that all its bugs and glitches have been ironed out, it's indeed a shame that such an impressively finished unit will no longer be available for sale. Having said that, FW 1.0 of the newest X3 is remarkably stable, quite brilliant actually - and unquestionably a massive improvement over the comparable earlier FW of the older X3. in testing I experience no crashes, freezes or anything like that. So well done Fiio! In contrast, it took many more FW releases for its forebear to become just as impressively stable as the newest X3 is. So full marks indeed must go to Fiio for its fantastic stability at release.

In using the player, the most striking difference (apart from the change to front) was the fact that when files are playing, as soon as the screen is turned off, its volume buttons (on the side of the unit) become Forward and back buttons. No doubt many prefer this change, but I must say that I didn't. Sorry. But YMMV. Regarding its battery life - as long as a player will at least play through the night without fading, I'm happy. The 2nd gen Fiio doesn't disappoint as far as its battery life when new is concerned. And I'll leave it at that for now.

As for how it looks, its aesthetics, it's most arguably an improvement over its forebear. It very much feels like a quality piece of gear, in one's hand. It's slightly heavier and that bit more substantial feeling too. I got a slight chuckle from the fact that, unlike its earlier incarnation, it came in its box already "gloved up" with its silicon protection and even glass protection in place! So you've no chance to 'forget' to protect your new Fiio - right out of the box - which was a nice touch. Other than a couple of bizarre stickers (one being an American flag - but why not a British flag too?? & the other with a bizarre plasticky 'wood grain' effect!??) the elements which accompany the newest X3 are much the same as those which came with the original Fiio X3. Albeit, its box is about a third larger than that which came with its earlier incarnation. If you wish to trial the X3 and then return it, be very careful when opening the first fold at the top of the pack, as it's pretty tight and difficult to open without tearing it. In contrast, the earlier X3 by comparison was far easier to open and return (if needed, and I wouldn't, nor did not) without compromising anything.

Conclusion
The old X3 and the newest are chalk and cheese. For most early owners and seminal reviewers, that's a very good thing. While I largely agree, when it comes to SQ, I must beg to differ. The sound signature which I'm always seeking is (alas) dare I suggest, to be found with greater presence in the 1st gen X3. It's still not my perfect audio player - as, of course, its battery will one day fade to grey, so I'm always on the lookout for an improvement. YMMV of course, and judging by the other early reviews for it, most reviewers are absolutely delighted with the 2nd gen X3. Yet, if I may be a sceptic for a moment, one might just wonder whether Fiio would be so forthcoming with early review units, next time around... *if* any current reviewer came out and said he didn't particularly like it, or worse, preferred it's earlier (and now largely unavailable) DAP as I do in some respects, or (greatest faux pas of all...) a competitor's unit!! Run for the hills!! Hmmmm. Perhaps it's just as well that I couldn't find any detractors among that bunch. Anyway, I bought mine, so I don't need to worry about what they think of me. Or at least now, I don't. Albeit, and in all fairness, I still do largely like the 2nd gen X3 and I do largely recommend it to you. Hence the four stars. It just isn't the player for me. Yet I still say you should buy this unit if you like a warm, comfortable sounding - more warm than bright or expansive sounding player - as fans of the DX 50's soundstage, seem to do. You should then be right at home with this 2nd gen X3. However, and in all sincerity, I'll be next trying out the widely acclaimed Hidiz AP100.

I hope this review helps you, but if you've any questions please ask me below. Thank you.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2015 2:26 PM BST

BLACK+DECKER Lithium Cyclonic Dustbuster, 18 Volt - Black/ Chrome
BLACK+DECKER Lithium Cyclonic Dustbuster, 18 Volt - Black/ Chrome

3.0 out of 5 stars Battery health Declines Far Too Quickly - Given Both Its Premium Price & Irreplaceability of Its Battery., 27 Feb. 2015
Be warned, most reviewers wrote their glowing reviews within weeks of buying their new Dustbuster. I can't exactly blame them either, because if truth be told, had I written mine in the first week or two, then I too would likely have given it the 'all fives' too. However, now that I've owned it three months, before reviewing, the story is definitely nowhere near as pleasing. The problem: Battery. Or rather the fact that its completely unchangeable battery (which should be a crime!) works great for all of five minutes and that's it.

I've a small apartment, and believe me, 5 minutes isn't enough to do all the little jobs I'd like it to do within my allotted time. In the first few weeks of ownership it worked much better, about 25% better, so that I could use it (i.e,. just about) to do all the little jobs in our small apt, that I needed doing. But I'm shocked at just how quickly its 'oh so great' lithium battery, becomes asthmaticly middle aged.

Surely it should instead work great for a year or two, before eventually allowing only 5 minutes of usage. But no, its greatness fades too fast, and so I have to write an unpopular but thoroughly honest review now: if this looks anything like expensive to you, at its present offering, then IMO do not waste the huge amount of money required to buy this, or in fact any other Dustbuster.

I bought this one, I must admit, because after having owned one from the mid-range Dustbuster series, I was 'reeled in' by promises of battery greatness. Sure - battery greatness for all of a few weeks! Period.

And now, a sigh, because if only you could easily and economically change its current OEM battery, then, and only then, would it deserve full marks. Please don't fall for the many reviews here, which were doubtlessly written within hours, days or weeks of buying. Because they've yet to discover what those of us who've owned it longer, have regrettably realised...

Fellowes Allergy UK Approved AeraMax DX55 Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter
Fellowes Allergy UK Approved AeraMax DX55 Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter
Offered by Choice Stationery Supplies Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars A comparison of the Fellowes DX55 V/S the far cheaper, & equally popular 'Puremate' Hepa Filter - which unit is the best to buy?, 5 Jan. 2015
I own both the 'Fellowes AeraMax DX55' (hereinafter - DX55) and the over half as costly - 'Puremate Hepa Air Filter' (Puremate), and since no one else has written a review to date, comparing what appear to be Amazon's two most popular air purifiers, it's time to compare them both for you. The DX55, after all, is significantly more expensive to buy than the Puremate. But I wanted to know, before buying it, was it really worth the extra? In short, the answer is that I'll be keeping mine without any question and here's why:

Indeed, if you can afford it, there's no need to read any further, the DX55, despite coming with no remote control, is definitely better than the Puremate. Its quieter in operation, we've found that it chills the room less (a bonus in cooler months) in its default auto mode; it has British Allergy Association seal of Approval (which the Puremate currently doesn't); and my wife swears that when we were sleeping in a room with the Puremate running on its default settings, she always woke up with a blocked nose and dry mouth. No such problems with the DX55!

The fact too is that the DX55's a lot better at *effectively* clearing smoke - as it not only has a Hepa filter *and* a Charcoal based filter, but it also features inbuilt sensors which aren't a gimmick and do indeed detect air quality, before adjusting air speed (when necessary) for optimal clearance. The Puremate, by contrast, works solely on a Hepa filter and therefore is less ideal at clearing smoke from the air. Truth is the Puremate will *appear* to clear smoke from an average sized room in about 10-15 minutes, however the fact that it has no Charcoal based filter means that it will just *not* be as effective at clearing the very smallest smoke molecules (and arguably the most dangerous to human health) PAH's, the PCB's etc., - from the air. I would think, yet stand corrected if wrong of course, that that was one of the reasons why the British Allergy Foundation did not award an approved status to the Puremate.

The Puremate does, however, have some comparative pluses to take into consideration - its far lower cost - being the most obvious, but also as it requires only one change of filter - as opposed to the DX55's two different filters, means its running costs long term, I know will be lower. Nevertheless, please just remember that that second filter is definitely 'there' for a very good reason... Also, the Puremate has its own, ostensively advantageous, and 'mini sized', remote control - which the DX55 lacks. So you, in theory at least, could change it from your seat. The reality, we've found, was that we ended up spending more time just looking for its diminutive remote control, so we most usually ended up simply controlling its operation from the unit itself. YMMV of course... For bedroom usage the Puremate does not illuminate the room as much as the blue lights of the DX55. But we just apply some black gaffer tape, to the DX55's blue lights, for night-time usage. Not an ideal solution, of course, but one that works! However, and in all fairness, Fellowes really ought to have considered allowing users the opportunity to turn off, at least temporarily, the DX55's lights for all night usage. Let's just hope they read this and take heed for their next generation of purifiers! One other way in which the Puremate pips the DX55 is that it has a timer function, which is admittedly basic, and rather limited in scope as it can't be set, e.g., for a whole week's worth of varying days in advance. Nonetheless, even a basic timer is something the costlier DX55 lacks and, quite frankly, ought to have... Lastly, the Puremate might actually be more useful in the few warmer months we have in England, at cooling the room at its default setting - which is definitely breezier than the DX55 is at its default. But then again, the opposite is of course true in wintry months. And surely a higher default fan speed means the Puremate's long term electrical running costs ought to be comparably somewhat greater? Hmmm.

A system of lights warn you of the air quality in the room, which are not present on the Puremate. So you just have to trust that the latter is measuring air quality correctly. Not that I had any reason to believe it wasn't. Just that the DX55 has, IMO, one more, and frankly excellent way, of showing users that it is working correctly.

Then there are the respective warranties to compare. Some have already reported here, that Fellowes have excellent customer service, and I have no reason to doubt that. Nonetheless, the DX55 now comes with three years 'parts and labour' warranty - that is, if the warranty that comes with mine is to be believed. I do nonetheless believe that earlier sold units may have shipped with a shorter warranty. Whereas the warranty which currently accompanies the Puremate is only of one year's duration. Which is another reason to pay the extra for the greater peace of mind!

From our experience it's definitely worth spending the greater sum on the DX55, and all the more so if you can stretch to buy it, particularly if ultimate air quality is what you're seeking. I was sceptical at first, whether it would be worth over double the cost of the equally popular Puremate, but in this reviewer's considered opinion, I have to confess now, that it most certainly is.

- - -

Lastly, as ever, I will continue to monitor both units for any signs of trouble and report back here of my experiences. But if this review is unchanged, you can confidently take it, that there are no changes in my very positive experiences with the DX55 and the (in all honestly) less impressive Puremate. Should you have any questions about either then please ask me below. Thank you for reading.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2015 1:46 PM BST

BLACK+DECKER Pivot Dustbuster Handheld Vacuum Cleaner - 18 Volt
BLACK+DECKER Pivot Dustbuster Handheld Vacuum Cleaner - 18 Volt
Offered by Ideabright Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Battery Lasts Barely Five Minutes Now, After A Year's Moderate Usage: Not Good Enough Value for money., 20 Nov. 2014
Battery. Yes, in a word: Battery. I bought mine in May 2013, and now, just over a year later, its battery is lasting no more than a usable 5 minutes. After 5 minutes of use, its suction drops so much that it can barely suck up a peppercorn.

Given the fact that its battery is all too typical of consumer electronics nowadays - i.e., you can expect to throw the whole object away once its battery fails, I can only recommend this item with that overriding caveat. In other words, if only its battery could be replaced, I would give it full marks. The problem is, the reality is, it can't. And so, its dropping to 5 minutes of usefulness (before needing a 12-14 hour recharge) simply isn't good enough, especially after only a year's moderate usage. I'd buy this type of item again, if there are marked improvements in battery life only. Shame really.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2014 1:59 AM GMT

Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5-inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5-inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
Offered by Amy`s Schätze

5.0 out of 5 stars Here is what the other reviewers mean by "fast", 16 Oct. 2014
Firstly, any worries which others have raised about 'performance degradation' over time, have now been completely quashed with the very recent, and latest release of Samsung's EVO Performance Restoration Software. Other than that, support software ('Samsung Magician') for this drive is absolutely first rate, and could not be more useful at squeezing every last iota of performance from this amazing SSD HDD. With that being said, here are the performance results of this Evo 840 series with 'Rapid Mode' enabled, versus the results from my earlier Samsung 830 series SSD (which has no rapid mode), which I've running on another comp.

Not everyone can know what reviewers mean by "it's very fast so buy it", so here are some numerical comparisons which show exactly what reviewers mean by "fast". After all, one man's 'fast' is another's "so what?" But don't worry... because these numbers, for the 840 series, are about as far from "so what" as your money can take you, these days:

Sequential Read 840 Evo 1TB (hereinafter - 840): 553
Sequential Read 830 series 256GB (hereinafter - 830): 541
Sequential Write 840: 532
Sequential Write 830: 261
Random Read 840: 87640
Random Read 830: 51520
Random Write 840: 80262
Random Write 830: 22937

In short: most of those numbers attest to a phenomenal performance gain over the previous generation of Samsung SSD;s.
HTH!

How to Speak Money
How to Speak Money
by John Lanchester

5.0 out of 5 stars An Iconoclastic 'Welcome' to the world of money: A Most Excellent & Mischievously Wicked Primer On All Things Financial., 18 Sept. 2014
This review is from: How to Speak Money (Hardcover)
If nothing else, this book most admirably succeeds in making the potentially boring and intractable become interesting, accessible and dare I say - entertaining. In other words, for anyone involved in finance, this book is a most interesting economic primer, which also happens to be seasoned with quips and clever humour a plenty. Take "dead cat bounce" for instance. I couldn't help but give a wry chuckle when I read this, following its initial definition:

"...it's the same kind of bounce a dead cat would give if you chuck it out a window. If you're wondering who on earth would come up with a metaphor like that, greetings, and welcome to the world of money."

Ouch! It's just as well that the world of money is not quite crammed full of sociopathic, and sick individuals then. Right!?

Some can criticise this book for including many commonly understood terms, such as GDP, inflation, and insurance. But then again, not only is knowledge subjective but even when defining the commonly known, Lanchester arguably does a great job of injecting some fresh, and often downright piquant stimulus into even the most well trodden of monetary expressions. Take 'insurance' which is: "a great idea, but it is distressing how often... it turns out to be a scam dependent on the customer not having read the small print." How true, how very true indeed! But you have to agree, that such a cynical definition, suggests more than just a welcome degree of mischievously inspired iconoclasm. In other words, I love it. And, this book is most wonderfully packed with similar definitions.

This reviewer concludes - you must buy this book if you wish to witness a perfectly spirited mix of wicked entertainment, and (otherwise) boring financial terms.

That is to say, it most certainly deserves full marks.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14