Profile for Mr. T. White > Reviews

Content by Mr. T. White
Top Reviewer Ranking: 283

Mr. T. White (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
NPET MXIII MX3 XBMC Kodi QUAD CORE SMART TV BOX Android 4.4 4K Digital Media Player S802 2GB UK +[Free Wireless Black Mini keyboard]
Offered by PengXuan E-commerce Co.,Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Just So so: Mine was tedious to use, buggy at times, & partly corrupted the filesystem on my 2TB Seagate drive. Still, YMMV., 18 Oct. 2015
I'll start by saying I am familiar with the Android OS. Also, I will review this box on the understanding that the box I received was typical of what another purchaser will receive.

I was not impressed.

It runs sloooowwwly. Navigation through files and options, feels like it's got 128MB of ram, *not* 2GB! I was astonished, in other words, at just how tedious its performance was in both navigating files and in choosing options.

What's more, MP4 files are becoming commonly accepted files in the online community. When the description above states what files it handles, you can see that MP4 files are ommitted. "So surely you can just get an app to play them, right?" Well, the problem is, MP4 files aren't even recognised by this MX3's filesystem. So even if you could use an app to play MP4 files, you're out of luck in many respects, if you've a substantial number of MP4 files as I just happen to have right now.

So how is it, with the files it does play? In three words: Slow and buggy. At any given, random moment my MX3 decided it was time to freeze itself, and became totally unresponsive. That left me repeatedly with the last resort option of having to turn it off, and then remove my otherwise perfectly working Seagate 2TB USB drive. The last time I removed my Seagate drive, this MX3 had, in freezing, corrupted the filesystem on my drive, resulting in a folder with many files within it, disappearing off the face of the earth. Not, repeat not good. I eventually was able to recover the vast majority of the corrupted files, within a found.001 folder, when using windows CHKDSK. But the whole pahlava of its repeatedly freezing and eventually corrupting files, I could do without.

Sure it has the usual online apps such as youtube and facebook. It also, runs KODI, just as most android boxes do. And it does these online tasks in an expected manner.

However, how it handles my USB drives leaves far too much to be desired. When you consider its sluggish responsiveness, lack of support for certain popular file formats and poor USB performance, I cannot recommend you buy this MX3.

If you must buy an android box, I have had better performance from the following drive. Albeit it too crashed to its homepage when playing certain files which play 100% perfectly on a WD Live:
[Newest Android 5.1 Smart TV-Box] VicTsing Android 5.1 TV Box Carry Rockchip 3368 Octa Core Cortex-A53 & 64 bits CPU H.265 Decoding Give You True UHD 4Kx2K Resolution@60 fps Support XBMC KODI Fully Loaded, Netflix Youtube Skype with EMMC Flash 8GB

Conclusion: This is the second Android TV box I've bought, and compared to a WD Live (link to follow), I am actually gobsmacked at just how popular they seem to be. Believe me, if you want a player which rarely if ever crashes, plays almost every file, still has plenty of inbuilt online apps, and works without any remote control delays or sluggishness, the player you would best consider bypasses the Android OS altogether: a WD Live
Western Digital TV HD 1080P Media Player

...And that's from someone who is generally a fan of Android, because it works perfectly well on any Samsung tablets etc.

So, I give it two stars and another star for the free keyboard remote, which at least, seems to work well. Nevertheless, *if* you still decide to buy this, on the strength of the two other short 5/5 reviews, I just hope YMMV. This one, for me, is not recommended. I'm sending it back tomorrow. Thank you for reading my review, and please feel most welcome to ask me any further questions below.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2015 10:56 AM GMT

The Virtuous Tart
The Virtuous Tart
by Susan Jane White

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasury of Nutritional Wonders: This Yummy Mummy Means Business!, 9 Oct. 2015
This review is from: The Virtuous Tart (Hardcover)
My hands, I hold skywards: I'm not the cookery book type. Nevertheless, on mentioning recently that I've taken on a "personal crusade" (given both the uncharitable 'girth' of my advancing middle age - AKA 'beer belly syndrome', plus the side effects of watching one too many Jeremy Oliver documentaries...) to cut down on sugar in my life - a close darling of mine, went and bought me this book; undoubtedly doing just that, so as to help me, see the light. Suffice to say, three 'Pina Kaleadas' later, I'm missing my erstwhile sugary treats, far less, than had I gone without.

And so, I do muse - given that the book's author manages to eat something sweet every day, yet somehow tasty, while somehow bypassing the evils of refined white sugar, then she must be on to something! Indeed - I can't argue that that 'sugary devil' is one of the western world's greatest evils. Okay, it won't exactly chop off your head while wearing an orange jumpsuit, but it will, eventually, curse you with diabetes, and far worse to boot. Needless to say, sugar, is definitely heading for the exit door in my life too. Well that's my plan at least, and I'm hopefully sticking to it. Which roughly translates as follows: a book such as this, is, indeed, exactly what I've needed.

Meanwhile I'm realising that there *is* a wholesome competitor to your bog standard 'brownie': the 'Brainiac' variant - sweetened by Coconut sugar. As it happens, the coconut is my favourite 'non-nut'! "Oh yes, a nut by name as opposed to by nature" so sayeth all those who are all too aware of its being quintessentially a 'drupe', as opposed to a nut. But fear not my nutty digressions: those brownies still taste utterly delicious. They do. :-)

Digressions aside, now that we've successfully experimented with several of the book's super nutritional potions, we are (at the very least) on the path towards seeing the light of a life sweetened by almost anything but sugar. It'll take a while before I defeat my sugary foe, but... the intention is certainly there (famous last words!?)

One minor criticism, though, I couldn't help but notice the absence of calorie counts at the end of every recipe. Call me 'old fashioned', but I would think that this book should be marketed at people who are dieting - as well as everyone else. It would certainly be an excellent choice/gift for someone embarking on a diet, just as it is currently presented. Nonetheless, methinks surely it would be that bit more perfect for a dieter, if he/she could be given at least an approximation as to the calorie content of each recipe? Not that I'm the calorie counting type, but just saying...

Any minor criticisms aside, I must still say how obvious it is, that such an immense amount of painstakingly dedicated work has gone into the creation of this book: it's clearly the work of someone who is both passionate about eating well, and bypassing the evils of sugar.

Susan Jane is clearly a Yummy mummy on a mission: to get us all to a nutritionally advanced stage of human evolution, and so far, her potions have worked most delightfully well on us. This one's a keeper. Full marks for sure!

Screamadelica - 20th Anniversary Limited Collector's Edition
Screamadelica - 20th Anniversary Limited Collector's Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars This Individually Numbered Boxset Will Be Prized by Savvy Collectors For Many Many Many Generations to Come: A Rare Masterpiece., 9 Oct. 2015
The very best alternative album of the 1990's is here given due reverence. This individually numbered numbered boxset is the perfect compliment to the masterpiece which was Screamadelica; an album which has gone down in musical history as one of the most ground-breaking of its time, and no doubt, for many times to come.

This boxset is coming harder to find in new condition, such is the high demand and prestige put on it by collectors worldwide. Buy it (if you can!) and buy one of musical history's undisputed treasures.

Questioning Islam: Tough Questions & Honest Answers About the Muslim Religion
Questioning Islam: Tough Questions & Honest Answers About the Muslim Religion
by Peter Townsend

5.0 out of 5 stars Islam - Quite Possibly The World's Most Questionable Religion: In So Many Respects, This Really Is An Astonishing Book!, 29 Sept. 2015
If ever a 'religion' opened eyes, raised eyebrows & (it's fair to say) seldom for pleasing reasons, that would be Islam. Yet to its 'believers' religion is too narrow a description: Islam is everything.

Well, this extraordinary book, entitled 'Questioning Islam', takes an in depth analysis of literally 'everything' that makes this religion - what it is, what it isn't, what came before, and what might be coming next? And, the results are more than surprising.

Having read this book, I actually have even stronger feelings about what Islam means to the future of mankind. It's certainly an 'eye-opener'. Suffice to say, I am allowed to declare that I believe in the free world, I believe in the advancement of mankind, and definitely not in barbarism, nor in the slaying and beheading of those who think differently to me. Without question, I love our United Kingdom, for we are lucky to live in the single greatest nation on this planet, bar none. Yet our openness, cherished freedoms and diversity are also some of our weakest attributes. Some even argue that our way of life, our traditional English values are under attack like never before.

But is it at all true that there is a basis in the Quran to support the contention that Muslims have come here not to assimilate with we 'infidel' non-believers, not to embrace our western ideals, but moreover, and ultimately, to enforce their ideals on us? In this book it is submitted you will find plenty of evidence directly from the Quran & Hadiths (respected Islamic tradition), to both explain and support that charge. Please believe this reviewer, when I say it makes fascinating reading.

I also believe in the progressive future of mankind, but even so, we must ask - can we really learn much of use from any seventh century ideology (let alone the one in question) which hasn't long since entered the public domain? And where are the Islamic reformists? Find out why you won't be seeing any, nor any time soon, within this book.

Sir Winston Churchill, that is, the single greatest Britain who ever lived, bar no one else, also had something to say about Islam, which he usually referred to as Mohammedanism. Rather than repeat his words here (...for what will be obvious reasons) I would ask you to seek them out for yourself (cf: The River War - 1899). It's certainly very interesting that despite his writing about Islam in 1899, so little, if anything at all, has changed. As for this title, 'Questioning Islam', please, please read this most magnificently illuminating book, and find out for yourself, why change (among many other things) is not on the Islamic agenda...

I guarantee that you will be surprised by all the things which this book explains. I wasn't bored for a moment. OTOH, you wouldn't believe how shocked I was, by the many things I discovered on reading it: A masterpiece of a book.

World's Finest Ear Plug--- (1-Pair) Sample Pack
World's Finest Ear Plug--- (1-Pair) Sample Pack
Offered by (BPI) World's Finest Ear Plugs

5.0 out of 5 stars "World's best earplugs" - yeah right... I initially thought. However, now that I've tried them myself, I'm left astounded., 20 Sept. 2015
I bought the trial two-pack only because I was sceptical initially: "world's best" yeah right, I mused. Still, I had to give them a go just to make sure I was right. And was I?

No. These are, quite unquestionably, the very best ear plugs I've ever tried. And, I've used the rest - from Boots' own brand, to Quies - none of which are anywhere near as effective at blocking sound out as these are.

I rolled them as instructed before putting them in, last night, and then asked my wife, who was beside me, to speak to me. To my astonishment, all I could hear was a mumble of indistinct, muffled and unclear sounds, which approximately sounded like words coming from under the room beside ours. I couldn't believe my ears! Using any other make of earplug, I can always hear her speaking to me, when right beside me; yes a little quieter, of course; But I've always heard enough, that I could easily respond to her. It was impossible to communicate with her, when beside me, with these earplugs properly in place. And that's only because they are truly outstanding. So, for this once, the claims do completely live up to expectations.

Just for comparison, I tried some fresh bluetac, which may appear similar in consistency, just to see if there's no difference: chalk and cheese. There is no comparison. These definitely and most unquestionably remove greatly more sound, so anyone who suggests that blue tac is just as good, is dreaming. It's not.

Anyway, as soon as I put a full stop to this sentence, I'll be ordering more.

What to Expect When Your Wife Is Expanding: A Reassuring Month-By-Month Guide for the Father-To-Be, Whether He Wants Advice or Not
by Thomas Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for Light Relief From 'The Pregnancy Ordeal'. But, Does It Really Contain Much Invaluable Information? Hmmm., 18 Sept. 2015
Firstly, of all the books I own, this one contains more typos and spelling mistakes than almost the rest of them combined. Whoever proofread this...

Regardless, If you like his humour (...sorry I mostly didn't) then you'll probably like this book. Basically, I wasn't particularly looking for all the jokes which were included within. Nor did I find much information which wasn't better presented in other highly reviewed, yet similar books.

I could end the review there, but then again, TW must practise what he preaches: I always ask anyone who criticises to give at least a few supporting examples. So here you go:

In the List of "What Your Wife Will Be Complaining About", you'll find this: "That you just don't believe her when she says she's pregnant." Or this: "Her College roommate[sic] who gets pregnant every time her husband looks at her" - (page 30)

The book is littered/filled with similar stabs at humour: Under 'A Couple of Things to Say to let her know you caring, sensitive...' you'll read this:
"3. Did you know that by the sixth week of gestation, the anterior and posterior horns differentiate in the spinal cord of the fetus [sic - & I presume he means 'foetus']? I didn't even know babies came with horns." (page 41)

In his advice on how a man can continue to stay married while his wife is pregnant, our author advises "matching every thoughtful act with a passive-aggressive jab. A long, low whistle when she steps on the scale ('It was just a joke, sweetie'), or cooking heavily spiced stews, chili[sic - yes, yet another typo/spelling mistake, I presume he means 'chilli'], thick pungent soups - there are a hundred little ways to needle your mate, and after a long day of feeling put-upon, coming up with them will be second nature." (page 81)

Frankly, if his advice isn't funny, it is, at times, downright idiotic.

There is still, some worthwhile writing in this book, but overall it's a mixed bag. 3/5, on a good day, is fair.

Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 824 combi boiler
Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 824 combi boiler

5.0 out of 5 stars This Combi Boiler has been working 5/5 for us - Just Pls Make Sure Yours Is Fitted By Qualified Fitters and Serviced Yearly!, 15 Sept. 2015
I want to give some balance to the negative reviews here, as my experience is opposite to theirs. This is a brilliant boiler and I couldn't be more pleased with ours.

I've had mine a year now, and it hasn't given a single problem. We're truly delighted with it. Sure, as with all boilers, from time to time you will need to adjust the water pressure, but this takes less than two minutes to do, and doing so couldn't be easier. We use ours with a Vaillant electronic controller which sets the desired temperatures for both day and night time usage. And it too works excellently.

From reading the two neg reviews here, you'd think that this was an utterly rubbish boiler, but look between the lines of those reviews and the clues are there. For the Ecotec plus 824 is a great choice when it works as it should, just as ours does.

I really do have my doubts about the authenticity and/or reasonableness of these two negative reviews. Firstly, one of the reviewers wrote (and you can check this above) "it has broken at least once a year over the past 4 (less than 6 years of age). I have decided to go for the Vaillant boiler repair, and the customer service is appalling ! First they start by selling you the boiler repair warranty service, then when it comes to actually repairing it..."

Wait a minute, this boiler actually comes with a FIVE year warranty included in the new price, if purchased from new and fitted by a qualied GAS SAFE registered installer. Yes, you read that right - included. IF, yes IF the reviewer had had the boiler professionally fitted then he would not be reporting that they tried to sell him a warranty, as his should have had a warranty on it, IF ONLY IT HAD BEEN FITTED PROFESSIONALLY IN THE FIRST PLACE!. Frankly, it's little wonder that he's reporting problems with his, as it's looking likely that he initially cut corners on fitting costs and then lived to find out why the rest of us pay to have it professionally fitted by qualified installers. So what does he do? Well of course he shows up here to vent his frustration and gives this brilliant combi-boiler one star all for the likely fact that he compromised on its fitting (as is obvious, yet again, when he laments that they tried to sell him a warranty which he would have had on it if only he had it properly installed.

Trust me folks, get a professional Vaillant approved fittter to install yours, and you too will get the same 5 year warranty from new, that I was given. If he had it properly installed then there's no way he have had to pay extra to buy it after installing it. That's just a fact. The little extra the rest of us might have to pay to get it installed is well worth the extra, but if you do decide to cut corners on installation costs, whatever you do, please don't come here to whine about all kinds of problems with it, and being sold any after-sales warranty. Those of us who know why you have problems will be able to tell what's really going on...

As for the other negative reviewer, his worked well (not that his one star review would make you believe that for a moment) and just once it broke down temporarily (just as can happen occasionally to *any* combi-boiler by any manufacturer), yet only because it couldn't be repaired under warranty instantly, he too shows up here to dump his one star review on the rest of us. Seriously!? People can be so unreasonable in this 'i-generation' ...this 'I want it fixed RIGHT NOW generation', that I really felt this item needed someone to redress the balance, so that fellow potential buyers aren't put off by what is truthfully an excellent boiler with an excellent five year warranty thrown in too (which, I must now stress - *only* applies if fitted correctly by qualified installers!).

Lastly, my gas bills are down by around 40% since having it fitted. Nonetheless, please know that if mine should ever break down temporarily and I can't demand an 'instant warranty repair', then I can assure you all that I'll be the last person to come back here and dump an one star review on such an, otherwise, absolutely brilliant boiler. HTH

Dolce FemmeEau de Parfum 75 ml
Dolce FemmeEau de Parfum 75 ml
Offered by Beauty it is

5.0 out of 5 stars Coolness Hits Mid Life Crisis & Yet Somehow Emerges Unscathed. This is a winner of a perfume - The Kings of Cool, D&G are Back!, 15 Aug. 2015
[Preamble - if deliberately grandiose, OTT reviews, decadently infused with lashings of rampant verbosity - are not quite your thing , then please do excuse me. You should probably choose to read another's review, instead. Thank you.]

'Dolce ~Et~ Gabbana', once partially ruled the fashion world, as the unassumingly sophisticated belle dame of the 'black is the new black', 'fashionista set' . Dolce was for much of this past century, a doyenne of the Avant Garde. Dolce was the type of fashion house whose very name breathed fear into the very lives of the artlessly unfashionable: "All Hail thee, mortals - for WE Are D & G !!!"

But coolness has usually, and moreover by definition, a best before date. Which means that the alternative kings of Milanese cool, should now be firmly hitting the corporate equivalent of a (...gulp) mid-life crisis. Thus rolls on 2015 (and decades have passed, since Coolness was a synonym for 'D & G.'), so then what?

To my astonishment, I've learned that our chiselled jawed, alternative meisters of studied nonchalance, are now all but owned by those who 'pedal pastes to the masses' - I do indeed speak of the 'Dishwasher kings' and 'toothpaste crew'! We all better know said company as 'Procter & Gamble', of course. How times have ...changed.

So this scent has to be terrible, right? The corporatised ba&&ard child of one of yesteryear's fashion houses which once ruled cooler than thou? Right?

Sure enough, if there is money in being 'avant garde' then you can be assured that the multinationals have noticed too. That is simply sooooo '2015', darling!? And isn't that right, Procter & Gamble? Yes indeed, back in the 1980's Dolce & Gabbana were the alternative kings of unspoken chic. Then, the very name Dolce et Gabbana inspired thoughts of chiselled jaws, on imposingly statuesque, pristinely suited beauties - whose bodily excretions smelled not. Only the most perfect among us, modelled for D&G. Dominance & Greatness! The rest of us could only dream of making the grade... Alas, from them till now, that is to say, from the top of the bathroom shelf to the very bottom - there indeed - where you'll find all the other products by D&G's incumbent overseers, A.K.A. Procter and Gamble: Toothpastes, hair gels, bargain soaps a plenty. Wow!

Don't get me wrong. For I very much digressed, this enchantingly desirable potion is somehow *still* brilliant.

'Dolce Femme, Eau De Parfum', in 30/50/ & 75ML is, in other words, a most alluring, flirtatious and irresistibly romantic fragrance. This is the scent to steal the appeal of any man; Much like Ralph Lauren's Romance would do likewise. For this scent is 'a must have', especially for any natural born beauty, who wishes to have men bow down at her studiously manicured feet!

Its perfume notes are indeed closest to Lauren's Romance for Women. So if you like that scent - as hinted - you'll love this! In the further distance I can detect notes inspired by Dior's "Addict 2", and perhaps even Givenchy's ever so delectable "Amariche". All down, no doubt, to the generously appealing shared bouquet of neroli and Amarynth.

Lest more be said, if you do manage to buy an authentic bottle (good luck!), you'll also find that it lasts a reasonable number hours.

Dolce, Femme is a winner: The kings of cool are definitely back.

Sonax 271141 Xtreme NanoPro Screen Wash 1:100 , 250 ml makes 25 litres, cleaning fluid

4.0 out of 5 stars Sonax Nanopro Versus Comma Xstream Screenwash - So... Which Is Better?, 13 Aug. 2015
If Shakespeare were 'ere to roll out of his horsedrawn Bentley, no doubt he'd exclaim aloud to the all attendant crowd & sundry: "a Screen wash by any other name wouldst sweep as sleekly". But wait a minute - as highly reviewed as this Sonax potion may be, could it even be possible that there is a better one to buy?

I previously and repeatedly used Comma 'Xstream' [sic] Dilute To Make screen-wash (hereinafter - Comma) before I bought this Sonax Xtreme Nanopro (hereinafter - Sonax) - not because there is anything at all wrong with the Comma, but rather because all those 5/5 star reviews for Sonax, soon become curiously alluring. (...inasmuch as any "screen-wash may at all become 'alluring, that is!) The good news is that the Sonax is indeed a good screen-wash. Yes, good. Which means it will certainly aid with the cleaning of your windscreen, when needed. But, IMO, (and here's where this reviewer canters astray from the majority's opinions) it's just not better, in any noticeable way, than the just as highly reviewed Comma.

So, having experimented with Sonax for the past six months, I'll accept that it's good, if not overrated, but I can also quite frankly admit that my return to using Comma Xstream is also now imminent, because: Roland TR303 drum-roll please - it's indeed the better screen-wash! Indeed, I won't be buying Sonax again, or at least I won't, unless its nearest competitors ever change Comma's formula for the worse. So, I'll be sticking with that instead. In other words, on the two windscreens on which I've tried both on, the Comma provides the clearer, shinier/more convincingly clean clarity. When using Comma, for some reason I usually feel far less need to repeat wipe, because it just does the job that bit more efficiently than Sonax does. After all, isn't that just what we're seeking?

The instructions, I might add, which come with the Comma are in clear English. Which is always welcome for we international consumers. Whereas, you'll need a few minutes typing words into Google Translate (umlauts, graves, circumflex's, accents an' all!!) before you can even get going with the Sonax; whose manufacturers seem to believe that putting only German onto bottle which are meant for the wider European market is a splendid idea. Well it isn't. Of course, Germany is renowned for producing some of Europe's best ideas, yet the aforesaid, arguably, wasn't one of them! Besides, *if* they should respond to said charge, that space concerns (on the bottle's limited surface) mean that only one language can be entirely accommodated - then why not simply also list your instructions by means of a country's flag - Spanish, French, English etc., and then put that directly beside the relevant direct web-link to a pre-translated version? Surely that would be a better idea, than printing your instructions solely in German, and expecting customers from other countries to type same into a translation engine after purchase?

The moot issue of a uni-Language aside, I'd still quite happily continue to use Sonax - were it not for the fact that my experiences using Comma proved that the latter is, for my money, and in the ways which truly count, a more compelling purchase. Lastly, prices for both manufacturers product were roughly at the time of writing this review, within 5-10% of each other, depending on where you purchased either from.

Overall Marks - 4/5. HTH, Thank you for reading, and YMMV.

Why Beautiful People Have More Daughters: From Dating, Shopping, and Praying to Going to War and Becoming a Billionaire - Two Evolutionary Psychologis
by Alan S. Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book & Learn Something about How the Social World We Know Is Not Exactly The World We Think We Know. & Moreover - Why!?, 28 July 2015
An unbelievably interesting book. And firstly may I just say - the "....wit" who gave this one star obviously doesn't know his elbow from his wrist.

Anybody who is capable of thinking will revel in the many, many wonders exposed by both Miller and the late Satoshi Kanazawa's most impressive work on evolutionary psychology. Actually, just writing that term, evolutionary psychology, will sound alarm bells in some, but it really shouldn't: you are here in for an instantly fascinating, and always easily accessible read. There are no generalizations here, because this book is very carefully footnoted with extensive referencing throughout.

Yet it's still a book for everyone of the few of we who enjoy thinking for thinking's sake (and I'm sure you know what I mean in saying that!).

Buy this book and learn something about how the world we know is not exactly the world we think we know. And more importantly, why!?
Because this is one of the most interesting psychology books I've ever read, I most surely give it an unquestionable 5/5

PS if you want to believe anyone who gave it less than 5/5, just read their other reviews for all the reasons why they're so very blissfully mistaken. 'Nuff said...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15