Profile for Mr. T. White > Reviews

Content by Mr. T. White
Top Reviewer Ranking: 308

Mr. T. White (London, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Anker® 60W 7-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub with 3 PowerIQ Charging Ports for iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Motorola, HTC, and More
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars As A USB 3 Hub, It Really Couldn't Be Any Better., 3 Feb. 2016
Since buying this hub a few months ago, I've been absolutely delighted with mine. Transfer speeds are also what I'd expect to a USB 3 drive of around 110 Mbps.

People should remember that while cheaper hubs are available, the majority of which, are simply not capable of charging as well. In other words, you get three dedicated USB charging ports and seven USB non charging ports with this for the money. Any device which needs to be powered by USB to run will need a hub such as this.

As my computer case has recently developed issues with its frontal USB ports, the choice was either to replace the case entirely or buy a charging USB Data Hub. Gladly, I did the latter, and haven't regretted it for a moment: It works brilliantly, without any issues whatsoever. Just remember the point about cheaper USB hubs. and you should be good to go.

Sleep Mask. Anti-Aging (Ultra-soft Silk feel) Copper Fabric Sleeping Mask by Sleep Fountain. Get an Eye Mask Facial while sleeping. Luxury Design, Copper Ion Tech. For Home, Travel, Men, Women & Kids. Sleep better and look great. Clinically proven.
Offered by AussieSprung

5.0 out of 5 stars If only these could make you money while you slept, then they'd possibly be better. ;-) All jesting aside, these are excellent!, 3 Feb. 2016
Methinks indeed that an eye patch could only get better if it could make money for you while you sleep! While such remains a pipe dream, this 'Sleep Mask' arguably remains as the next best thing: a mask which works very well at what it does, for its cost. Also, it doesn't overheat the face, which many eyepads are guilty of doing. Nor does it let in any sliver of light. Just perfect darkness while the bedroom lights are on.
I can't swear its alleged 'anti-aging effects'. Nevertheless, several people have complimented me on looking at least 10 minutes younger, since I started wearing mine. While ten minutes of extra youth... aren't quite a prerequisite on any ones' Xmas card lists, this buyer still remains happy enough, overall, to give this particular sleep mask full marks. Which is to say - to my knowledge eye masks don't come more comfortable to wear nor materially better at blocking out light, than these ones.

Bentley Organic Shampoo for Normal to Oily Hair 250ml
Bentley Organic Shampoo for Normal to Oily Hair 250ml
Offered by Absolute Organic

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Greasy Hair. But it Definitely needs TWO Wash and Rinses For Full Effect - Which is Amazing!, 24 Dec. 2015
Excellent shampoo for oily hair, as I have. However, It does NOT lather well on first wash! You definitely need to wash twice with this shampoo: the second lather, by contrast, is amazingly rich and thoroughly cleansing. Far better than any cheaper, mass market shampoo - as it contains none of that Sodium lautyl sulfate, yet still lathers so much better - at least on the the second wash! Give this shampoo a try - and see for yourself which reviewer is right! But please just wash and rinse *twice* to see the real benefit of using this shampoo!!!

Please read the reviews here if you are still in any doubt, as I'm not the only one who finds this brilliant for oily/greasy hair - please search for: Bentley Organic Shampoo - Normal to Oily - 250ml (Pack of 2)

Ghosts and Poltergeists
Ghosts and Poltergeists
by Paul Roland and Rupert Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars A Most Interesting And Exceedingly Well Compiled Book, Which Occasionally Has (In the 2015 Edition) Its Grammatical Flaws..., 11 Dec. 2015
This book is an extremely interesting round-up of most reported supernatural sightings, within the ambit of the book's title, over the years. Also, it covers reported phenomena from not just the UK but internationally too. As such, I can say that it is very well researched, and best of all - it's a page turning read!

The authors have, quite obviously, a very keen interest in the subject matter, and such is clearly reflected within the book's pages.

Having said that, I do have some criticism, for the authors/publishers to consider: in places, any proof-reading is just not up to par. For example, one of the book's authors repeatedly offends the 'double negative' rule - at times with impunity. Here are verbatim quotes from page 39 of the 2015 edition (with my emphases in capitalisation):

"It was NOT that they did NOT accept the evidence, but rather that they lost interest in phenomena since apparitions and apports did NOT add to their understanding of the inner workings of nature"; And again, from the very same page, "The fact that Phantasms of the Living was NOT a bestseller did NOT dampen their conviction that they were on the threshold of a new world..."

I could take from the same page yet another questionable instance, one which further suggests 'defenestration of the grammatical rule books': "In the end a person either believes in ghosts or they[sic] do not." The author will likely defend that sentence inasmuch as he wrote that in the interests of preserving gender equality. That may be so, but surely he could then simply have written that sentence thus: " In the end persons either believe in ghosts or they do not." Surely that arrangement strikes both nails with one hit!?

If the above is not sufficiently awkward, there is frequent transgression of the 'gerund needs a possessive' rule too: [again with my emphasis in capitals, from page 35] "They would send her back to Brighton in the morning without HIM knowing anything about it..."

It's a shame that it was so easy to find so many instances of grammatical faux pas, throughout the book's text. Were it not for the fact that the book is still most interesting to read, I would have certainly docked a star in view of same. Then again, I'm a stickler for good grammar, and a firm believer in the idea that professionally produced texts must uphold the rules of grammar, save where such texts are deliberately produced for barely literate readers; otherwise proof readers are/or should be(!) out of a job. Slack grammar, in other words, feels utterly out of place in a book as well researched as this most surely is.

In conclusion, I can only hope that future editions of this otherwise most interesting and exceedingly well compiled book, will have the vast majority of grammatical mistakes ironed out. In the hope that that will be so, I must award this book 5/5, as it is a marvellous book to read in all other respects.

NPET MXIII MX3 XBMC Kodi QUAD CORE SMART TV BOX Android 4.4 4K Digital Media Player S802 2GB UK +[Free Wireless Black Mini keyboard]
Offered by PengXuan E-commerce Co.,Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Just So so: Mine was tedious to use, buggy at times, & partly corrupted the filesystem on my 2TB Seagate drive. Still, YMMV., 18 Oct. 2015
I'll start by saying I am familiar with the Android OS. Also, I will review this box on the understanding that the box I received was typical of what another purchaser will receive.

And...

I was not impressed.

It runs sloooowwwly. Navigation through files and options, feels like it's got 128MB of ram, *not* 2GB! I was astonished, in other words, at just how tedious its performance was in both navigating files and in choosing options.

What's more, MP4 files are becoming commonly accepted files in the online community. When the description above states what files it handles, you can see that MP4 files are ommitted. "So surely you can just get an app to play them, right?" Well, the problem is, MP4 files aren't even recognised by this MX3's filesystem. So even if you could use an app to play MP4 files, you're out of luck in many respects, if you've a substantial number of MP4 files as I just happen to have right now.

So how is it, with the files it does play? In three words: Slow and buggy. At any given, random moment my MX3 decided it was time to freeze itself, and became totally unresponsive. That left me repeatedly with the last resort option of having to turn it off, and then remove my otherwise perfectly working Seagate 2TB USB drive. The last time I removed my Seagate drive, this MX3 had, in freezing, corrupted the filesystem on my drive, resulting in a folder with many files within it, disappearing off the face of the earth. Not, repeat not good. I eventually was able to recover the vast majority of the corrupted files, within a found.001 folder, when using windows CHKDSK. But the whole pahlava of its repeatedly freezing and eventually corrupting files, I could do without.

Sure it has the usual online apps such as youtube and facebook. It also, runs KODI, just as most android boxes do. And it does these online tasks in an expected manner.

However, how it handles my USB drives leaves far too much to be desired. When you consider its sluggish responsiveness, lack of support for certain popular file formats and poor USB performance, I cannot recommend you buy this MX3.

If you must buy an android box, I have had better performance from the following drive. Albeit it too crashed to its homepage when playing certain files which play 100% perfectly on a WD Live:
[Newest Android 5.1 Smart TV-Box] VicTsing Android 5.1 TV Box Carry Rockchip 3368 Octa Core Cortex-A53 & 64 bits CPU H.265 Decoding Give You True UHD 4Kx2K Resolution@60 fps Support XBMC KODI Fully Loaded, Netflix Youtube Skype with EMMC Flash 8GB

Conclusion: This is the second Android TV box I've bought, and compared to a WD Live (link to follow), I am actually gobsmacked at just how popular they seem to be. Believe me, if you want a player which rarely if ever crashes, plays almost every file, still has plenty of inbuilt online apps, and works without any remote control delays or sluggishness, the player you would best consider bypasses the Android OS altogether: a WD Live
Western Digital TV HD 1080P Media Player

...And that's from someone who is generally a fan of Android, because it works perfectly well on any Samsung tablets etc.

So, I give it two stars and another star for the free keyboard remote, which at least, seems to work well. Nevertheless, *if* you still decide to buy this, on the strength of the two other short 5/5 reviews, I just hope YMMV. This one, for me, is not recommended. I'm sending it back tomorrow. Thank you for reading my review, and please feel most welcome to ask me any further questions below.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2015 10:56 AM GMT

The Virtuous Tart
The Virtuous Tart
by Susan Jane White

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasury of Nutritional Wonders: This Yummy Mummy Means Business!, 9 Oct. 2015
This review is from: The Virtuous Tart (Hardcover)
My hands, I hold skywards: I'm not the cookery book type. Nevertheless, on mentioning recently that I've taken on a "personal crusade" (given both the uncharitable 'girth' of my advancing middle age - AKA 'beer belly syndrome', plus the side effects of watching one too many Jeremy Oliver documentaries...) to cut down on sugar in my life - a close darling of mine, went and bought me this book; undoubtedly doing just that, so as to help me, see the light. Suffice to say, three 'Pina Kaleadas' later, I'm missing my erstwhile sugary treats, far less, than had I gone without.

And so, I do muse - given that the book's author manages to eat something sweet every day, yet somehow tasty, while somehow bypassing the evils of refined white sugar, then she must be on to something! Indeed - I can't argue that that 'sugary devil' is one of the western world's greatest evils. Okay, it won't exactly chop off your head while wearing an orange jumpsuit, but it will, eventually, curse you with diabetes, and far worse to boot. Needless to say, sugar, is definitely heading for the exit door in my life too. Well that's my plan at least, and I'm hopefully sticking to it. Which roughly translates as follows: a book such as this, is, indeed, exactly what I've needed.

Meanwhile I'm realising that there *is* a wholesome competitor to your bog standard 'brownie': the 'Brainiac' variant - sweetened by Coconut sugar. As it happens, the coconut is my favourite 'non-nut'! "Oh yes, a nut by name as opposed to by nature" so sayeth all those who are all too aware of its being quintessentially a 'drupe', as opposed to a nut. But fear not my nutty digressions: those brownies still taste utterly delicious. They do. :-)

Digressions aside, now that we've successfully experimented with several of the book's super nutritional potions, we are (at the very least) on the path towards seeing the light of a life sweetened by almost anything but sugar. It'll take a while before I defeat my sugary foe, but... the intention is certainly there (famous last words!?)

One minor criticism, though, I couldn't help but notice the absence of calorie counts at the end of every recipe. Call me 'old fashioned', but I would think that this book should be marketed at people who are dieting - as well as everyone else. It would certainly be an excellent choice/gift for someone embarking on a diet, just as it is currently presented. Nonetheless, methinks surely it would be that bit more perfect for a dieter, if he/she could be given at least an approximation as to the calorie content of each recipe? Not that I'm the calorie counting type, but just saying...

Any minor criticisms aside, I must still say how obvious it is, that such an immense amount of painstakingly dedicated work has gone into the creation of this book: it's clearly the work of someone who is both passionate about eating well, and bypassing the evils of sugar.

Susan Jane is clearly a Yummy mummy on a mission: to get us all to a nutritionally advanced stage of human evolution, and so far, her potions have worked most delightfully well on us. This one's a keeper. Full marks for sure!

Screamadelica - 20th Anniversary Limited Collector's Edition
Screamadelica - 20th Anniversary Limited Collector's Edition
Offered by japazon

5.0 out of 5 stars This Individually Numbered Boxset Will Be Prized by Savvy Collectors For Many Many Many Generations to Come: A Rare Masterpiece., 9 Oct. 2015
The very best alternative album of the 1990's is here given due reverence. This individually numbered numbered boxset is the perfect compliment to the masterpiece which was Screamadelica; an album which has gone down in musical history as one of the most ground-breaking of its time, and no doubt, for many times to come.

This boxset is coming harder to find in new condition, such is the high demand and prestige put on it by collectors worldwide. Buy it (if you can!) and buy one of musical history's undisputed treasures.

Questioning Islam: Tough Questions & Honest Answers About the Muslim Religion
Questioning Islam: Tough Questions & Honest Answers About the Muslim Religion
by Peter Townsend

5.0 out of 5 stars Islam - Quite Possibly The World's Most Questionable Religion: In So Many Respects, This Really Is An Astonishing Book!, 29 Sept. 2015
If ever a 'religion' opened eyes, raised eyebrows & (it's fair to say) seldom for pleasing reasons, that would be Islam. Yet to its 'believers' religion is too narrow a description: Islam is everything.

Well, this extraordinary book, entitled 'Questioning Islam', takes an in depth analysis of literally 'everything' that makes this religion - what it is, what it isn't, what came before, and what might be coming next? And, the results are more than surprising.

Having read this book, I actually have even stronger feelings about what Islam means to the future of mankind. It's certainly an 'eye-opener'. Suffice to say, I am allowed to declare that I believe in the free world, I believe in the advancement of mankind, and definitely not in barbarism, nor in the slaying and beheading of those who think differently to me. Without question, I love our United Kingdom, for we are lucky to live in the single greatest nation on this planet, bar none. Yet our openness, cherished freedoms and diversity are also some of our weakest attributes. Some even argue that our way of life, our traditional English values are under attack like never before.

But is it at all true that there is a basis in the Quran to support the contention that Muslims have come here not to assimilate with we 'infidel' non-believers, not to embrace our western ideals, but moreover, and ultimately, to enforce their ideals on us? In this book it is submitted you will find plenty of evidence directly from the Quran & Hadiths (respected Islamic tradition), to both explain and support that charge. Please believe this reviewer, when I say it makes fascinating reading.

I also believe in the progressive future of mankind, but even so, we must ask - can we really learn much of use from any seventh century ideology (let alone the one in question) which hasn't long since entered the public domain? And where are the Islamic reformists? Find out why you won't be seeing any, nor any time soon, within this book.

Sir Winston Churchill, that is, the single greatest Britain who ever lived, bar no one else, also had something to say about Islam, which he usually referred to as Mohammedanism. Rather than repeat his words here (...for what will be obvious reasons) I would ask you to seek them out for yourself (cf: The River War - 1899). It's certainly very interesting that despite his writing about Islam in 1899, so little, if anything at all, has changed. As for this title, 'Questioning Islam', please, please read this most magnificently illuminating book, and find out for yourself, why change (among many other things) is not on the Islamic agenda...

I guarantee that you will be surprised by all the things which this book explains. I wasn't bored for a moment. OTOH, you wouldn't believe how shocked I was, by the many things I discovered on reading it: A masterpiece of a book.

Die weltweit besten Ohrstöpsel---(1 Paar) Probepackung
Die weltweit besten Ohrstöpsel---(1 Paar) Probepackung
Offered by (BPI) World's Finest Ear Plugs

5.0 out of 5 stars "World's best earplugs" - yeah right... I initially thought. However, now that I've tried them myself, I'm left astounded., 20 Sept. 2015
I bought the trial two-pack only because I was sceptical initially: "world's best" yeah right, I mused. Still, I had to give them a go just to make sure I was right. And was I?

No. These are, quite unquestionably, the very best ear plugs I've ever tried. And, I've used the rest - from Boots' own brand, to Quies - none of which are anywhere near as effective at blocking sound out as these are.

I rolled them as instructed before putting them in, last night, and then asked my wife, who was beside me, to speak to me. To my astonishment, all I could hear was a mumble of indistinct, muffled and unclear sounds, which approximately sounded like words coming from under the room beside ours. I couldn't believe my ears! Using any other make of earplug, I can always hear her speaking to me, when right beside me; yes a little quieter, of course; But I've always heard enough, that I could easily respond to her. It was impossible to communicate with her, when beside me, with these earplugs properly in place. And that's only because they are truly outstanding. So, for this once, the claims do completely live up to expectations.

Just for comparison, I tried some fresh bluetac, which may appear similar in consistency, just to see if there's no difference: chalk and cheese. There is no comparison. These definitely and most unquestionably remove greatly more sound, so anyone who suggests that blue tac is just as good, is dreaming. It's not.

Anyway, as soon as I put a full stop to this sentence, I'll be ordering more.

What to Expect When Your Wife Is Expanding: A Reassuring Month-By-Month Guide for the Father-To-Be, Whether He Wants Advice or Not
by Thomas Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for Light Relief From 'The Pregnancy Ordeal'. But, Does It Really Contain Much Invaluable Information? Hmmm., 18 Sept. 2015
Firstly, of all the books I own, this one contains more typos and spelling mistakes than almost the rest of them combined. Whoever proofread this...

Regardless, If you like his humour (...sorry I mostly didn't) then you'll probably like this book. Basically, I wasn't particularly looking for all the jokes which were included within. Nor did I find much information which wasn't better presented in other highly reviewed, yet similar books.

I could end the review there, but then again, TW must practise what he preaches: I always ask anyone who criticises to give at least a few supporting examples. So here you go:

In the List of "What Your Wife Will Be Complaining About", you'll find this: "That you just don't believe her when she says she's pregnant." Or this: "Her College roommate[sic] who gets pregnant every time her husband looks at her" - (page 30)

The book is littered/filled with similar stabs at humour: Under 'A Couple of Things to Say to let her know you caring, sensitive...' you'll read this:
"3. Did you know that by the sixth week of gestation, the anterior and posterior horns differentiate in the spinal cord of the fetus [sic - & I presume he means 'foetus']? I didn't even know babies came with horns." (page 41)

In his advice on how a man can continue to stay married while his wife is pregnant, our author advises "matching every thoughtful act with a passive-aggressive jab. A long, low whistle when she steps on the scale ('It was just a joke, sweetie'), or cooking heavily spiced stews, chili[sic - yes, yet another typo/spelling mistake, I presume he means 'chilli'], thick pungent soups - there are a hundred little ways to needle your mate, and after a long day of feeling put-upon, coming up with them will be second nature." (page 81)

Frankly, if his advice isn't funny, it is, at times, downright idiotic.

There is still, some worthwhile writing in this book, but overall it's a mixed bag. 3/5, on a good day, is fair.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16