Profile for jayne hansard > Reviews

The Boys Are Back [DVD]
Dvd ~ Clive Owen
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful gentle fab, 3 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Boys Are Back [DVD] (DVD)
I wasn't sure about this film before I watched it, wasn't sue what to expect. This film totally and utterly swept me away with it, and I was alternatley sobbing and laughing. It is beautifully shot and sensitively handled, with so many little subtleties that, especially being a parent myself really resonate personally. Fantastic film, one of the best. I think all of the acting was superb, and I recdommendit highly to anyone.

Timecrimes [DVD]
Timecrimes [DVD]
Dvd ~ Karra Elejalde

3.0 out of 5 stars ho hum, 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: Timecrimes [DVD] (DVD)
I watched the film because I like unusual films, and although it had an interesting concept, I couldn't help myself from thinking of easier and less messy alternatives for poor Hector the whole time I was watching it! He could have had it all settled in half the time! Also, I thought some of the scenes were unecessarily weird, just to try and be bizarre for the sake of it, to try and appear'arty.' You don't have to do that, art should come naturally.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2013 12:03 AM BST

Monsters [DVD] [2010]
Monsters [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Whitney Able

5.0 out of 5 stars Meaningful monsters, 23 Nov 2011
This review is from: Monsters [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I thought this film was absolutely stunning. The scenery was beautiful, and just the observations of the whole Mexican troubles/scenarios/ways of coping etc were very moving, showing the human spirit coping as it does. I thought the whole film was extremely clever, all the better for it's quiet qualities. The developing relationship between the two main characters was well presented and I thought it was romantic. The monsters in the title were strangely magnetic and reminded me of whales with their mysterious calls, and almost monogamous behaviour. I thoroughly enjoyed this clever, thoughtful and georgeously presented film.

More Light (Connections)
More Light (Connections)
by Bryony Lavery

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Play, 22 Jun 2011
I also saw this play at The Sewell Barn Theatre, my husband was the lighting man! I thoroughly enjoyed it, although it is quite disturbing. The director made it all come together wonderfully, very atmospheric. The acting was also superb. It is a dark play, very dark. About a tomb that after hundreds of years is opened to reveal strange events in the past. When an Emperor is put in his tomb, all of his concubines have to be entombed also, aswell as other servants in the many layers of the tomb. Fascinating things happen as they struggle with the hand that fate has dealt.

Out of This World: The Story of "Muse"
Out of This World: The Story of "Muse"
by Mark Beaumont

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for fans who need to know!, 13 Oct 2010
This book tells you practically all you need to know about the fabulous band that is Muse. It is a book for devoted fans who are really interested in detail, especially about the recording of the songs. I found it very interesting, I am sure though that I will have to read it a few times to take it all in! I want to listen to the songs as they are mentioned in the book, then I can spot all the quirky and strange bits that are mentioned! It also gives background/beginnings,of how they got together,and descriptions of their first forays into performance, There are recollections of many after show parties and smash ups, band members being lost in Europe etc., It also highlights some of the political and imaginative views of lead vocalist/guitarist/piano player/genius Matt Bellamy. A great book!

Oystercatchers
Oystercatchers
by Susan Fletcher

5.0 out of 5 stars The oystercatchers, 22 Oct 2008
This review is from: Oystercatchers (Paperback)
This is one of the most affecting and marvellously written books I have ever read. Part of it is set in Pembrokeshire, and part of it in Norfolk, and being from Norfolk myself, it was an added pleasure to read about familiar places, described with an extremely lyrical and observant eye. The story of Moira and the elements, the word love and all of it's meanings. The story of glorious, sweet little Amy, and her lust for life, climbing trees, picking flowers, and poking spiders webs with twigs. The tragedy and complete waste of a girl's life, and the sense of guilt and loss. The story of relationships, a husband, and lonely aunt, loving parents. A story of travel, and nature, and above all, the sea. This book held me fast, from beinning to end, and what an end. The tears were unstoppable, I will never forget this book.

Pilates For Life [DVD]
Pilates For Life [DVD]
Dvd ~ Darcy Bussell

5.0 out of 5 stars Darcey Bussell; Pilates For Life, 11 Jan 2008
This review is from: Pilates For Life [DVD] (DVD)
Simply the absolute top pilates dvd available. I have tried others, but they simply do not compare. Darcey is a brilliant and concise teacher, the music is very relaxing, you almost feel like you are meditating. Because she is such a fine dancer, and has been doing this for all of her career, which was stratospheric, you can tell that it all works! After starting this I soon noticed the benefits starting to show, and people commented on it aswell. Everything is very clear and easy to follow. If you also dance, this is especially invaluable. A very stylish dvd, with great scenes at the beginning of a South African beach, where some scenes were filmed. Get it now! Love it!

Bollyrobics - Dance Workout [DVD]
Bollyrobics - Dance Workout [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julia Casper
Offered by Revival Books Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars bollyrobics-dance workout by Julia Casper, 11 Jan 2008
Found this a very good, clearly set out dvd. Found the excersise/dance adequate for people who don't want to go mad, but would like to keep reasonably fit. The warm up and cool down are just right. I enjoyed the music and the movements very much, and sometimes do a pilates workout before this, so then it all knits together very satisfactorily! You definitely notice the toning up and there is a small amount of cardiovascular, especially for the newcomer to fitness. A very good dvd.