Profile for Paul > Reviews

Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
by Sgt. Dan Mills
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an exceptional book, I would award at least 6 stars if it were possible, 26 Aug 2009
Almost all the reviews for this book are 5 stars. I can understand why. The combination of his actual experiences (subject matter) and the excellent presentation (writing) is so good you can't put it down. I have only read 5 or 6 books written about the experience of war. This is certainly the best of that genre I have read and a really excellent book by any standard.

If you would like to understand what life is like in Iraq for the British Army, read this book.

Finally I would like to say thank you to Sgt Dan Mills for your excellent account of life under fire in Iraq.

Samsung Spinpoint 640GB 7200RPM SATA300 16MB Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint 640GB 7200RPM SATA300 16MB Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool and quiet and so far very reliable, 18 July 2009
These Samsung SpinPoint drives run cooler and run more quietly than the other brands I have tried.

I have bought quite a few and I have had no failures so far. This contrasts hugely with, for example, the WD Raptor drives where most failed within a few months.

Le Creuset Trivita 4 piece set
Le Creuset Trivita 4 piece set

5.0 out of 5 stars Go for it, 25 Nov 2008
When I set up my first home my mother suggested that I buy the very best pans I could find and not worry about the price. She said that the best pans will last a lifetime and the extra cost spread over many years is negligible. I followed her advice and was glad I did. These pans are amongst the very best you can find today. So go for it. You should also get some 200C silicone stirring spoons or spatulas so you don't scratch the interiors with metal spoons. My second piece of advice is to acquire an Induction cooker. You will find that it is simply better than all other forms of kitchen stove.

Panasonic NN-CS596S 27L (1.0cu.ft), 1000W MW Output, 1.3kW Quartz Grill, Convection Oven

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, 3 Nov 2008
I bought this two years ago because it had a steam oven function. I have only used steam once to try it. So I can only rate it as a normal Microwave oven, conventional oven and grill. A particularly good feature is the door which opens downwards and is exactly level with the bottom of the oven. This allows you to place hot dishes on the open door. A major benefit. The machine is very heavy, so it can't over balance. The controls work well, with one exception detailed below. I think the ergonomics are first rate. This is important because if you don't like the way it works, you may be continually irritated.

The microwave works as you would expect. There is no turntable, but it doesn't need one, it has a wave stirrer instead. This is a benefit. You can just set the time and it defaults to the Microwave function.

I use the oven function the most as I had a second microwave. This heats up quite quickly, say 3 or 4 minutes to 180C/190C. It has one annoying foible, the time setting jumps from 10 minutes to 15 minutes, so if you really want to set 12 minutes, you have to set it to 10 minutes start it, wait until the remaining time is less than 8 minutes and then add 2 minutes. If the remaining time is over 10 minutes, you can add only a minimum of 5 minutes. The oven goes from 40C, 100C up to 300C which is exceptional. It has the ability to set three consecutive programs. I.e. 10 mins defrost, 5 mins microwave, 8 minutes grill.

After two years use, it has developed a small fault. Occasionally, while the oven is warming up, when you open the door the main circuit breaker on the appliance can trip. I took it to the local Panasonic Dealer who charged me 35 to tell me there is nothing wrong with it.

I awarded it 5 stars because it is very nicely designed and constructed and I have no reason to think the occasional power trip is a common fault. This model still features on Panasonic's UK web site but they are out of stock almost everywhere. Perhaps a new model is on the way. I hope it matches visually because I like the design and I would like a second one to replace my microwave oven that has just given up the ghost.

The only feature I miss is the ability to read the oven temperature as it is warming up or working. When you set the temperature to say 190C all you see is a P until it reaches 190C. Then you just see the set temperature, but of course, it is possible that actual oven temperature is less, you would not know. Overall I am pleased with my purchase.

LISP: Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation
LISP: Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation
by David S. Touretzky

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of date, 8 Oct 2008
This book is out of date and not useful to learn any modern LISP. It is also not a "Gentle Introduction" as the title claims. "Tedious, confusing and unhelpful" is closer to the truth.

Marco Pierre White Hard Anodized Non-Stick 20 cm Omelette Pan
Marco Pierre White Hard Anodized Non-Stick 20 cm Omelette Pan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Sep 2008
I consider myself very lucky that I found this 20cm Omelette pan at a bargain price. This is the best non stick pan I have found. It is aluminium, but with steel inserts for on an induction hob. The non stick surface seems robust and hasn't discoloured at all. I have quite a few Beka pans. All excellent.

BTW, unless you have tried an induction hob, you don't know what you are missing. Easy to clean, as controllable as gas and much faster to heat up and far more efficient than halogen.

July 2010: Since writing this I have discovered that the non stick Stella 3000 series is excellent too. Food does not stick. They are very easy to clean and I use mine every day with no apparent wear after 18 months or so.

A Load of Blair
A Load of Blair
by Jamie Whyte
Price: 9.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading, 7 Sep 2008
This review is from: A Load of Blair (Hardcover)
Jamie Whyte is very clever. He is a former lecturer of Philosophy at Cambridge University. This book explains the techniques used by Nu Labour to hood wink the electorate. It is a "good read" by that I mean a fun read, but this is a very serious read too. We should all be aware of the dishonest way political leaders present their arguments.

I also recommend his book published in the UK as "Bad Thoughts - A Guide to Clear Thinking" this was published in the USA with the very clear title "Crimes Against Logic - Exploring the Bogus Arguments of Politicians, Priests, Journalists and Other Serial Offenders"

You should read it.

Skeppshult Grill Pan, 28 cm
Skeppshult Grill Pan, 28 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Every home should have one, 21 Aug 2008
I have the 28cm Skeppshult cast iron round grill pan but with the wooden handle. I bought it years ago for a lot more the price quoted today. I think the steel handle may better as you might be able to put the whole pan into the oven as well as on the stove top. I assume the handle keeps cool on the stove top. I think my pan will last forever. It weighs 3.1Kg.

The better the steak, the better it cooks in this pan. Beef and chicken look great and taste even better when cooked in this pan.

I have more fry pans and grill pans than I should admit to, but for meat and chicken breasts, this is my pan of choice. Indeed for fillet steak I would not consider another pan. These pans are not cheap but well worth the price.

Bosch AHS 6000 Pro-T Electric Hedgecutter (60 cm Blade, 34 mm Tooth Capacity)
Bosch AHS 6000 Pro-T Electric Hedgecutter (60 cm Blade, 34 mm Tooth Capacity)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's one of those rare products that are better than you hoped, 19 Aug 2008
I have a fairly new 26cc gas (petrol) powered hedge trimmer. It struggled with my hedges and trimming tasks. I saw this Bosch AHS 6000 Pro T in my local dealer. I had read good reviews of it and I was impressed with the 34 mm maximum blade opening as the narrow blade gap of my gas hedge trimmer seemed to be a big part of the problem. The dealer told me that for tough jobs petrol is more powerful and better. I choose to ignore that advice and I am very pleased I did.

It cuts much better and the blade doesn't stall on thick branches. It is also feels a lot lighter. Very importantly it is much safer. The moment you take either hand off the handle the motor is disengaged and a brake stops the blade instantly, while the motor itself takes a second or so to stop. Of course, the gas hedge trimmer has a centrifugal clutch, so the rotating mass of the motor must slow down very considerably before drive to the blade stops.

This machine has almost no vibration compared to the 2 stroke gas hedge trimmer. This is a major advantage. Vibration at 12,000rpm is not at all good for your hands and arms.

The motor is rated by the manufacturer at 700W and 746W=1HP. So the real o/p must be quite a bit less than 1HP, however it strongly out performs the claimed 1.2HP gas machine.

The only downside is dealing with the power cable. I shall have to invest in a rather large cable reel. It takes longer to deal with the cable than to add 2-cycle mix and start the gas trimmer, but overall, it is a much better user experience.

I can't comment on longevity, as this machine is still new. It appears well made.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2012 4:43 AM BST

James Martin 20cm/ 8 inch Cook's Knife
James Martin 20cm/ 8 inch Cook's Knife
Offered by deals-direct
Price: 13.38

5.0 out of 5 stars I have tried many cooks' and chefs' knives. These are the best I have found, 10 Aug 2008
These knives are outstanding quality and good value. I saw some in my local store. I liked the feel so bought a couple to try and now I have a whole drawer full! At least one of nearly all the different types. This review applies to all the knives I have tried, the cooks knives (both sizes), the Santoku knifes, the steak knives, the paring knives and the bread knife etc.

The blades are similar to other quality stainless steel knives. The important difference is the handles. Firstly, they are curved and fit the hand better than other knives including other knives made by Stella. Secondly, the handles have a high friction rubber or rubber like coated surface. This is a huge advantage. It means you can hold the knife firmly with less effort.

The instructions suggest hand washing or to remove them immediately from the dishwasher. I wash these knives in the dishwasher, they withstand the process. No damage after months of use. Since I don't remove them immediately, it is as well to arrange them so the water drains off, otherwise standing drops of water can leave a mark that requires stainless steel cleaner to remove.

The reason I bought these is that the Global knives I have can not be washed in the dishwasher. (The black dots on the handle come off. This ruins the design.) I dislike hand washing so I thought the Stellar James Martin knives would be better for everyday use. In fact, as much as I like the quality of Global knives, these are more convenient to hold, cut as well, can be placed in the dishwasher and cost about one fifth the price. I think they are a bit of a bargain. Global knives look nicer, but these Stellar knifes are a much better choice in practice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5