Profile for RB > Reviews

I'm Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen
by Sylvie Simmons
Price: 7.69

2.0 out of 5 stars 500 pages is just too long, 26 Feb 2014
I'm a big Leonard Cohen fan and have been for decades. I bought this book full price from a bookshop to try to support the local retailer. However, after starting to skip multiple pages I gave up.

Then I started again - give it another chance - and finally gave up again at about page 150 out of 500.

There is just far too much detail. Do we really need to know the name of everyone he met on a Greek island, in Montreal, in New York, back to the Greek island, back to Montreal, back to New York, and we haven't even got to the start of his music career yet. Life is simply far too short to plug on out of sheer loyalty to Leonard.

The style of writing also irritated me; it is far too over-written, as if the author had a thesaurus at hand. Maybe that's the way it gets you having met the man himself, who knows?

The photos are very poor quality, as other reviewers have noted.

Not for me, regrettably, one for the charity shop since I'm not an Amazon re-seller. Otherwise I'd sell a barely opened, new book to someone else who might appreciate it more.

Doro 916CR Corded Telephone Answering Machine
Doro 916CR Corded Telephone Answering Machine

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 May 2010
I thought I'd done plenty of research to replace the office answerphone (a tape, pre-digital model) but apparantly not enough.

The phone does not ring loud enough to be heard a room away.
The mute button is in a stupid place and has to be held down - the previous phone you just toggled it.
Incoming messages are too quiet - you have to bend over the phone to hear what they've said.
None of the buttons have sensible engravings - a couple of weeks later the handbook is still beside it on the desk to work out how it works.
When there are messages, the only indication is that a red light flashes. The message counter on the panel says 00 even when there are 5 or 6 messages waiting.

Worst of all, it picks up after 4 rings, maximum. Since the phone cannot be heard from one room away, it nearly always picks up, and then does not say how many calls it has intercepted.

I would not recommend it, and am now in the market for another corded answerphone with a proper and loud ringtone, sensibly engraved buttons, a 6-ring pick-up, and loud playback. I'm not holding my breath. Not all "advanced" technologies are better.