ARRAY(0xb3d4c144)

KW (Kent, UK)

The Broons & Oor Wullie Classic Comic Strips from the 70s
The Broons & Oor Wullie Classic Comic Strips from the 70s

3.0 out of 5 stars Vintage but hardly classic, 28 Sep 2012
I received a Broons or Oor Wullie annual every Christmas throughout my childhood and was an avid fan of the weekly strip. Even back then, my favourite strips were the ones featured in the annuals illustrated by the late great Dudley D Watkins. At 46 I still get the annuals every year, and have amassed a large number of vintage annuals from 1939 onwards courtesy of eBay. Over the past few years I have been delighted with the hardback " classic" collections of vintage Watkins-illustrated strips, a great way to read and collect the older stories that my budget can't usually stretch to for antique originals, and I have been eagerly awaiting this year 's hardback collection. I am however disappointed to find that for the first time since the hardback "classic" annuals have been introduced the stories are not in fact classic Watkins strips, but poorer quality artwork strips culled from the actual strips then appearing weekly in the Sunday Post. Whilst I believe that Watkins was dead by the time these strips were appearing weekly, the annuals at the time were still featuring reproduced vintage Watkins strips, which is what I expected to find here. Not the rare treat I have come to love and expect from the hardback " classic" albums, and I hope to see a return to true vintage classic form next year (DC Thompson please take note!)
That said, I do appreciate that not all fans are as long in the tooth as me, and by now the 1970 s are probably considered " vintage"', and the cover does state the content to be from that era, so it's my error in expecting this year's book to contain the usual older strips . But the popularity of the hardback classic series has been built on the love of the older truly classic strips, and I am surprised that the publishers are now departing from what was apparently a winning formula. I suspect I won 't be alone in my disappointment.
I do remember these strips from the 70 s when they were first published in the paper - unfortunately at the time I found the whole Maggie/Dave engagement storyline tiresome and a weak deviation from the usual hilarious Broons antics - and as I have stated I much preferred the warm humour and glorious Watkins illustrations of the annuals instead. And I didn't like the drawings, not so much care and attention to detail seemed to have gone into them.. But once I got over the disappointment of the content, I must confess I am enjoying the nostalgia of finding long - forgotten stories that I can now remember reading as child, even if they weren't my favourites.
Since Watkins ' death there have been several successors whose artwork hasnt been able to hold a candle to him. I would just like to take the opportunity of congratulating the current artist of the weekly strips and the past few soft cover Oor Wullie and Broons annuals - somehow he has managed to stamp his own individual - and up the minute - style on the stories and characters whilst still maintaining the traditional spirit and feel of the original illustrations. This year- for the first time - I am enjoying the current softback Oor Wullie book , which is truly charming, far more than its hardback " classic" companion.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2013 6:23 PM BST

Shewee Extreme
Shewee Extreme
Offered by Daleswear Outdoors
Price: 11.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wee Treasure!, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Shewee Extreme (Sports)
A fantastic product. Yes, a little practice is needed at home first to get the hang of it, but once you've perfected the best position for you it's a doddle. The key is not to pee too enthusiasticallly, as its size means it will back up and overflow all over your hand quite readily, but if you can maintain a steady and gentle flow ie no pushing for a speedy whiz, it 's just fine. I agree with other reviews - it helps to lean forwards, especially towards the end, and disengage slowly still pointing downwards, as the last few drops will need to be allowed to flow out when you 're done - yes, just like a man, and yes a little shake will do the trick. Criticisms have included the fact that's indiscreet to have it in bright pink - lets face it, you're hardly going to have it out on display whatever colour it is, and pink makes a fun girlie item out of a very functional object, and I always keep mine in the pink plastic case anyway - no one would know it wasn't makeup, wipes or tampons inside unless they had one too, in which case no need for blushes anyway. Other criticism is having to carry around an item you've wee'd in - again, wipe it out with tissue, pop it back in the case, and it won't "contaminate " the other contents of your bag , as it's protected by the case, which can be cleaned later. Both my sheewee and its case went in the dishwasher when I got home from Isle of Wight festival last week. Was a godsend to be able to kneel up and wee into my travel potty (Potette FYI!) instead of having to don wellies for a cold wet and windy trek to frankly disgusting loos in the middle of the night. Have never needed to use the extension pipe yet, bu can see it would be very handy when wearing bulky layers. Great item, will get plenty of use now my kids are old enough for festivals but not without me - my daughter has one of her own - but I originally bought mine because I kept getting caught short on the golf course! Disposable cones would no doubt be more "discreet" for those who don't want to be seen with a hard plastic sheewee, but as I said investing in a case will sort that out, and at least you won't waste several (expensive!) cones practising at home before you get the knack. The sheewee won't ever need replacing, so better vfm IMO !

Moon [DVD] [2009]
Moon [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Sam Rockwell
Price: 4.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Moon, 22 Sep 2009
This review is from: Moon [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
A haunting and thought-provoking exploration of the human condition that pays homage to the great classic science fiction films like 2001 without ripping them off. Rockwell delivers an outstanding performance as the lonely, humbled and repentant astronaut trying to make sense of the confusion around him, Spacey's understated vocals as the voice of GERTY are perfectly pitched, and the music is superb - a mixture of icily repetitive and insistent electronica reminiscent of the best of the great 80's synth artists and heartbreakingly beautiful piano interludes. I bought the CD soundtrack immediately, and play it frequently. I can't wait for the DVD release of Duncan Jones' remarkable debut, and am very much looking forward to his next film.

Curse of the Higsons
Curse of the Higsons

5.0 out of 5 stars The Higsons - The Curse of the Higsons, 1 Sep 2006
This review is from: Curse of the Higsons (Audio CD)
Shame that this disc is so damned difficult to get hold of - but well worth the effort! Quite simply one of the most exuberant albums ever to come out of the eighties - great horns, funky bass lines, the pre-Fast Show Charlie "Switch" Higson's energetic vocals - a toe-tapping treat from start to finish.Standout tracks - The Junk Keeps Piling Up, Run Me Down (with its wonderful soul backing vocals) and a cheeky upbeat version of Music To Watch Girls By. Be transported back to the moshpit - this album sounds as fresh now as it did then.