Profile for Steven Janes > Reviews

Content by Steven Janes

Steven Janes (Germany)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I still really enjoyed it. A very good read, 26 Oct. 2015
I remember reading this as a teenager and loving it. Re-reading it about 35 years later, I still really enjoyed it.

A very good read, and a 'feel-good' book.

Off to Be the Wizard
Off to Be the Wizard
by Scott Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Just reading it the second time, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Off to Be the Wizard (Paperback)
This was one of the very few books where, immediately upon finishing the last page I went back and started re-reading it from page 1. It was just so much fun, I wanted more of it.

Imagine the guys from 'The Big Bang Theory' finding the 'cheat codes' for life. How would they react?

The thing that makes the book sparkle is the humour, and the way the guys interact with each other. Really had to laugh at some of the put-downs used.

I have to confess I have been a fan of Scott Meyer for quite some time through his 'Basic Instructions' comic strip. Anyone who hasn't come across this yet, I seriously advise you to check it out...

Now, I'm wanting to know what comes next. Hope there is a sequel coming out soon...

Njal's Saga (Classics)
Njal's Saga (Classics)
by Magnus Magnusso
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Great translation and notes, 22 Oct. 2012
Before buying this, I did a bit of research into which were the best translations to get. Having read many criticisms of the current Penguin Classic version, I went for the Magnusson one.

The translation is very easy reading, and did not get in the way of the story. One feature I especially appreciated was putting all the genealogies into footnotes - so you can read them if you want to, but can also easily skip them.

In every translation, they must make choices. In this one, they decided to anglicise endings of place names. This made for easy reading, but complicates things when you try to follow the action on a map, or when comparing the same events when recorded in another saga (with a different translation).

There are also some useful notes at the back - for every character they give a mini-synopsis of the main events of their life and when it happens. Given the large amount of characters (and the sometimes confusing or similar names) this was very useful to me.

In summary: Not having personally read the new Cook translation I can't give a direct comparison, but I can tell you that the Magnusson one is worth having

Gravity's Rainbow
Gravity's Rainbow
by Thomas Pynchon

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable, 11 May 2011
This review is from: Gravity's Rainbow (Paperback)
I have virtually never given up on a book before - generally, I always plough on even if I'm not enjoying it too much in the hope that it will improve.

With Gravity's Rainbow, I have to confess that I gave up after the first few chapters. I found his flowery and convoluted style of writing just too irritating and impenetrable. Before deciding to close the book, I dipped into it at various places throughout just to see if the style had settled down and he had started concentrating on Story, but it seemed to be the same all the way through.

My personal impression was this was the sort of writing I might have produced at school - very descriptive, laden with long metaphors and imagery that appeared to try and impress the reader by its intellectualism. By this stage of my life, I no longer have the patience to wade through such self-indulgence.

Apologies to those who love the book and its style - and clearly, there are many - I respect your views. It was just not for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2012 11:33 AM BST

Company Business [DVD]
Company Business [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gene Hackman
Offered by rileys dvds

4.0 out of 5 stars Cold war fun, 3 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Company Business [DVD] (DVD)
This is a fun movie & reasonably intelligent. It's also an interesting look back to the end of the Cold War times.

My only gripe is the lack of any extras on the DVD - very poor.

Nick Drake: A Treasury
Nick Drake: A Treasury
Offered by jack_bauer_twentyfour

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth giving a chance, 3 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Nick Drake: A Treasury (Audio CD)
This was my first exposure to Nick Drake and I didn't know quite what to expect. On my first hearing I have to admit I wasn't too impressed - it did not immediately blow me away. However, I gave it a chance and listened to it again and soon found it growing on me. Now, I really enjoy listening to it late at night.

The SACD treatment is unusual in that for some tracks the vocals are coming out of the rear speakers. Interesting effect, not unappealing. The acoustic guitar sound is very clear and rich.

I think my favourite tracks are 'Poor Boy' (I love the arrangement), the two 'Hazy Jane' tracks and River Man.

The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes: Creative Applications of Small Flashes (Voices That Matter)
by Joe McNally

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book.... but mainly for Nikon users, 10 Jun. 2009
I really found this to be an excellent book. It challenged me to get my flash off my camera and start taking pictures. What higher recommendation can I give it?

You should be aware, however, that Joe is very much a Nikon user and there is a lot of information about products and settings that may not always translate for other brands. Since I have a similar camera and flash to the ones he uses, this was not an issue (in fact a huge advantage) for me.

What I really liked is the way he shows a spectacular picture, then breaks it down to show not only how he lit it, but also why he made many of the decisions and what settings he used.

I also enjoyed many of his anecdotes - I learned a lot about the fun (and not so fun) life of a professional photographer.

Beware though - it can be an expensive book! Since reading it I discovered all sorts of new toys that I just HAVE to have, like light stands, umbrellas, softboxes, extra flash units, grips, clamps, extension cables and and and....

Cape to Cairo: A Family Expedition Along the Waterways of Africa
Cape to Cairo: A Family Expedition Along the Waterways of Africa
by Kingsley Holgate

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this could make you give up your comfortable life !, 3 Jan. 2003
For anyone who loves Africa, adventures, exploration or travel this book is a must!
Taking the form of a daily journal the book relives the epic adventure of the author, his family and the other expedition team members as they travel by inflatable boats and 4x4's from Cape Town, up the East African Rift Valley, and eventually to Cairo.
This was no pleasure cruise - we experience with them all the joys of African roads, malaria, bureaucracy, bugs and bandits. We can also see how the strains of living in such close proximity affected them. Most of all though we see a deep and passionate love for Africa, for it's land and it's peoples.
The book itself is extremely well produced, with a padded cover made to look like a real diary, many hand-drawn maps and illustrations as well as lots of colour photos. My only grumble is that I felt we needed some more country scale maps to bridge the gap between the overall Africa expedition route map and the very detailed river and lake maps. These would have helped set the context for the exploration, but I could just as easily look in my atlas for help!
Great book - thanks Kingsley! Hope you write some more for your other travels.