Profile for Mark Sheridan > Reviews

Content by Mark Sheridan

Mark Sheridan (New Zealand)

Never Dream of Dying (James Bond 007)
Never Dream of Dying (James Bond 007)
by Raymond Benson

2.0 out of 5 stars Never Dream of Buying !!!, 27 Jun. 2001
I'm sorry to say I was disappointed by this latest effort by Raymond Benson. He delivers another of his weak, cliched plots which has a couple of good moments but as a whole seems like another tired rehash. In fact there are some plot elements strikingly similar to John Gardner's "Never Send Flowers" (1993). Both involve the film industry to some extent and both end with a plot to blow up royalty - so much for originality !!! Also Benson continues to treat Bond as a moron, taking him far too long to figure out what is going on when the average reader will have pieced things together after the first few chapters. Bond is after all an "intelligence" agent not "some stupid policeman" and should NEVER be portrayed as such. I also found the inclusion of the "Marc Ange Draco" character a predictable and somewhat pointless addition. Presumably this was a desperate attempt to link this novel back to the originals but again fails utterly !!! I realise I seem to be in the minority, but for me this novel was simply not worth the hardback price. I would advise any real Bond fan if they have any doubts about this novel after reading the synopsis, wait for the paperback edition as it would be better value for money.

Strange New Worlds III (Star Trek): Bk. 3 (Star Trek: All Series)
Strange New Worlds III (Star Trek): Bk. 3 (Star Trek: All Series)
by Dean Wesley Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars A Better Effort, 31 July 2000
After the disappointing second volume in this series of fan written stories I had trepidation about buying volume III, but I decided to give it a try and was pleasantly surprised. There is still a slight over-emphasis on redundant soap opera material, but thankfully there is also a wealth of good ideas worthy of any Star Trek collection. I still think this isn't quite as good a collection as volume I but it is definitely light years ahead of volume II, and because of that I will certainly be looking out for volume IV when it is published. Deserving of a hearty "Well Done" to most of the contributors.