Profile for AGDA > Reviews

Something Borrowed
Something Borrowed
by Emily Giffin

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was told to expect, 11 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Something Borrowed (Paperback)
I have read and heard a lot of people talking about this book, and that it is being adapted into a movie, but honestly, can't see why it is so popular. It is not badly written, I give it that, and it is interesting and bold to have a main character that is not the usual boring too good to be true young woman that does all the right things and is all alone at the beginning and ends up with Mr perfect at the end. So my 2 stars go for that, for daring to change the formula.
I don't give it more stars as I find that the main character is a weak person, not really a bold character but someone who has always been under the shadow of a popular friend because it was easier and it made her more popular in return, she is always comparing their lives and secretly hating the other girl, but in front of her she is all smiles. Then the man (Dex) appears, and the not so pretty girl has a first chance with him, that she doesn't profit from as she is beyond shy and self-deprecating, but then after years of him dating the other girl (Darcy) and due to a mix of self-pity and alcohol, she goes for it and he is more than willing to go along with the plan.

So after the future husband and the maid of honour decide to become lovers in the first chapters of the book, the next ones are based on few ideas: A) they are perfect for each other and everyone except the bride agrees, B) The bride who seemed so nice at the first chapter now is a horrible monster (as we see her only through the eyes of the maid of honour and her friends), C)Everything else that happens only serves the purpose of showing how bad is the bride and how good is the uglier friend.

So not so daring as I though....and besides, the husband-to-be is a real player, he is going out with both women all the time....and never even feels bad about it

L.A. Confidential - Special Edition [DVD] [1997]
L.A. Confidential - Special Edition [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Kevin Spacey
Offered by blockies

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie, instant classic, 11 Mar. 2010
I have always loved this movie, since the moment I went to see to the cinema to watch it, but I have never bought a DVD copy, although I have no idea why....finally I bought this special edition and I have to say that I am really happy, as I have remembered why this movie is on my favourite list.
It has everything a good movie should have: a beautiful woman, with elegance and classic beauty, mystery, good cops, bad cops and some of them in the gray areas of life, you have movie stars, gossipmongers, corruption, drugs, sex, and scandal. Basically this movie is all that the Black Dalhia wanted to be but couldn't.
Kim Basinger is excellent here, perfect in every scene she is in, but she is not the only one that shines here, the whole cast is fantastic, Russell Crowe was not as famous here as in Gladiator but his performance was brilliant, and Guy Pearce and the reas were just as good.

Highly recommended and this DVD has lots of surprises, like the pilot of the series.
Now, the language information: Languages (English, German, Spanish) and subtitles (English, Spanish, Danish, Estonian, Finnish, German, Norwegian, Swedish)

The Painter
The Painter
by Will Davenport

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a nice pleasure, 14 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Painter (Paperback)
The novel has two different stories, in two different times, that are more or less intertwined as usual, there is nothing new in that kind of plot, we have seen it before and although it is interesting, the Rembrandt story is somehow predictable, it is the modern story that actually interested me more, the characters are well-written, with great dialogues, actually, the dialogues are excellent and the plot has lots of surprises and shocks.
I really liked this novel, I have to admit that I wanted it to keep on as I read it so fast it barely lasted me a weekend, but all in all, it is a book I do recommend.

The Moonstone [DVD]
The Moonstone [DVD]
Dvd ~ Greg Wise

2.0 out of 5 stars Everyone is very good but it was not great, 16 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The Moonstone [DVD] (DVD)
The actors are all good, the novel is interesting, but there is something missing here, some spark, maybe a better adapted script, I am not sure, but I found the DVD a bit boring, although it wasn't bad but certainly not something I will be willing to watch again in a while

Grave Sight (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Grave Sight (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Charlaine Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars It is not True Blood but it is ok, 16 Dec. 2009
I know the True Blood books are not the best novels ever, but they are fun and actually enjoyable. This novel has certain similarities, specially with the main character, here we have a young, pretty woman with special powers, people are scared of her and also attracted to her uniqueness...Sounds familiar?
Apart from that the story is basicly a mystery case, a series of deaths in a small town and how things get tangled and then resolved. It is not a bad book, entertaining, the characters are well-written and likable and the whole feeling this novel transmits is slightly different from True Blood, so not bad at that.

The Silver Blade: Bk. 2
The Silver Blade: Bk. 2
by Sally Gardner

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first one but quite good, 22 Nov. 2009
I really enjoyed reading The Red Necklage so I bought this book wanting to know how the story ended. The author tries to explain at the beginning a little of what happened on the previous book, but I do recommend to read the other one first, as it so good and also because it is hard to understand the plot just by reading this one.
Yann is more mature here, except when he is in love, moments when he seems like any teenage boy. The rest of the time he is a heroe saving people from the guillotine in the Reign of Terror after the French Revolution.
The action is fast and the characters interesting, all that happens in Paris is action-packed and full of adventures, the parts in London are not so good, although necessary. I didn't like the change of attitude in the aunt, it was a bit out of character, and the fact that Sido does very little in the novel but wait. Okay, that was what she did as well on the first novel, but for some reason, she was more of a presence in the novel, while here she is more like a pretty shadow.
I think that anyone who has loved the first novel should read this one.

The Red Necklace
The Red Necklace
by Sally Gardner

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise, 22 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The Red Necklace (Paperback)
I was looking for another book here in Amazon and I saw this novel recommended based on my search and I decided to give it a try, although it was catalogued as children fiction. I just thought it might be interesting, a nice little book to read, but it was actually a positive surprise, it is well-written, fast, interesting, the characters are alive in the pages full of adventures and historical references that, instead of becoming an annoying History lesson, are actualling intriguing, I found myself enjoying the book more and more. So I bought the second part, The Silver Blade as soon as I finished this one.
Sido and Yann are characters you get to love, you want to know what happens next for them.
It might look like a children's book at the beginning but the Revolution changes that, the magic is intertwined in all the pages but the way the author depicts the revolution is realistic, there are good guys, ultimate evil and a lot of grey as well in the plot, with people fighting for survival in the time when the Terror started in France. The chapters of the prison are incredible. The whole novel is a precious gem in these time where there are so many copycat novels that add nothing new to the reader's experience.

The Backup Plan (MIRA)
The Backup Plan (MIRA)
by Sherryl Woods
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, 10 Nov. 2009
I have to say that when I read that there was going to be an adaptation of this book I was interested in knowing a bit more about it, the plot seemed the traditional romantic comedy but that is okay now and then, a good romantic story is enjoyable if it is well written. Well, that was not the case with this novel. At least, for me, the author simply doesn't make the effort to play with the characters, from the very moment they see each other in the novel both start thinking how delicious one looks and how the way he makes her angry means that she is really attracted to him. No subtlety, no thrill, just a plain story that honestly doesn't seem worth a movie. The main character is interesting enough and he is certainly a good-looking nice man, but there is simply no spark between their love story and the reader (me). I am usually not this negative in my reviews, but I was expecting so much more and was disappointed.

All Other Nights
All Other Nights
by Dara Horn

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but I was expecting something better, 10 Oct. 2009
This review is from: All Other Nights (Paperback)
The book is quite interesting, specially to learn a bit more about the Jewish community in USA during the Civil War. The novel starts at an interesting pace, with a character that is darker than I expected but full of gray areas that make him interesting enough. The story is quite fast but then it slows the pace and the plot starts twisting and losing its magic. I liked it but I did not love it. It is well-written but by the end the main character was not someone I cared about so I was not much impressed by the ending.

The Proposal [DVD]
The Proposal [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sandra Bullock

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and funny Romantic Comedy, leaves a smile on your face, 16 Sept. 2009
This review is from: The Proposal [DVD] (DVD)
It is not the most amazing script ever written, you can imagine the end from the very beginning, but that is not what has made this one of the most popular movies this summer, it is just that the story is funny, sweet and makes you smile and feel good. How many movies can do that? We have Andrew, who is working like a slave to get the desired promotion and his boss, a she-devil called Margaret, who is so focused on her job that forgets that there is life outside the publishing house. Because of her possible deportation, she is forced to make the decision of marrying Andrew, as she is from Canada and needs to be allowed to work in the USA or she will lose the job she loves so much. That is the beginning of this journey, and it keeps getting better when the odd couple arrive to Alaska to met "his" parents and grannie. I won't tell much about the plot, as it is better to watch it. I just want to say that the main actors share a special chemistry in this film, something that makes the movie more enjoyable and the whole cast is brilliant and funny.
I do recommend it, may not be the best movie of the year, but it makes me feel good, sunnier, and I loved it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9