Profile for David Clare > Reviews

Content by David Clare

David Clare

Drawing for Product Designers (Portfolio Skills)
Drawing for Product Designers (Portfolio Skills)
by Kevin Henry

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the more analytical, 7 Mar. 2014
I chose this book over other drawing tutorials based on reviews of the technicality it goes into.

This book describes not just how to employ certain techniques, but why. Personally I found this a great angle to learn from as it always helps things stick in my head!

You could use this book to learn from scratch, but I came to it after being 'taught' some very basic sketching skills at university (as part of an engineering degree). Several years later I have found what I had been taught to be inadequate for what I wanted to produce, hence buying this book.

The first few chapters give the history of technical drawing, and some clear explanations of projections and the like. It starts off slowly but if you actually read it page for page and do all the tutorials you will surprise yourself at the progress you make. By the final chapters I was confident sketching in perspective, and could make a decent stab at rendering on a computer.

That brings me on to the final selling point for me - the way the author interlaces concepts and ideas about pencil sketching with CAD and digital methods. If you are already a CAD user but want to learn to draw by hand (like me) then this approach will help you to pick things up quicker. Some of the tutorials in the book cover rendering with computer software such as Adobe Illustrator, so it is also a great place to start if you want to combine paper skills with more modern presentation methods.

Overall I was very impressed with the content and the tutorials. I've read every word and followed every instruction, and the skills I've learnt and am enjoying using are already worth way more than the cost of the book!