Profile for Rachel Willmer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
CAULDSTANE
CAULDSTANE

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Stayed up half the night to finish it, 5 May 2014
This review is from: CAULDSTANE (Kindle Edition)
This is the 2nd Linda Gillard book that I've read, and I suspect I am going to work my way through her entire catalogue.

Linda writes intelligent books, where you're never quite sure what's going to happen next. A beautiful way with words, that weaves you into a story you don't want to end.

Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 64 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Kindle Fire I've been waiting for, 29 Mar 2014
I bought this specifically for a recent longhaul holiday so I could download some videos from Amazon Prime for the long flights and long wait at airports; it's great! (only some videos are available from Amazon Prime for download, but the ones I wanted were...) and you can get shows from iPlayer too.

Very happy with my purchase, especially for the longhaul flight back when the onboard films were the same as on the way out...

Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker & Sleep Wristband - Slate
Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker & Sleep Wristband - Slate

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but better design needed, 3 Dec 2013
I like the idea of the Fitbit Flex and it mostly does what I expected. And it is helping me motivate myself to be less sedentary (As a software engineer working from home, I can very easily go all day without moving much at all!)

But I have 2 problems with it:

a) the design of the wristband is poor and liable to failure. To recharge the Fitbit, you need to bend the strap to get the electronic bit out. This puts strain on the join on the wristband just about the visibility band. And after a while of flexing, it will fail. I've had to send one back already after only 3 months.

b) To turn it into sleep mode, you need to tap it a few times. I find it hard to get this to work, so at the time when I should be relaxed and heading for sleep, I'm instead tapping furiously away on this thing trying to get it switch mode.

On the plus side, it's comfortable to way and I don't notice that I have it on 24 hours a day.

Get it!
Get it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great demo recording which turned into a CD, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Get it! (MP3 Download)
This CD started life as a demo recording for the band to use to promote themselves.

When they listened to the results, they decided it was good enough to be released as a CD; and I'm glad they did!

It's a good mixture of styles and tempos; what I really like about it is the way it sounds as though the musicians are really listening to each other, and enjoying playing together.

More please...

Instant RabbitMQ Messaging Application Development How-to
Instant RabbitMQ Messaging Application Development How-to

4.0 out of 5 stars A good concise book, but I'd have liked a little more detail, 27 Jun 2013
This is a review of the book "Instant RabbitMQ Messaging Application Development How-to" by Andrew Keig, in the "Instant" series ("Short, Fast, Focussed") by Packt Pubiishing.

Disclaimer: I was given this book for review by Packt Publishing. My opinions are, however, my own.

The book starts with "What can RabbitMQ do for you?", moves on to installation, and then runs through an example usage of an e-commerce shop, adding in more complexity through various examples.

All the code is written in Node.js; if you don't already know this, you may find getting your head round the event-driven model used by Node.js to be a distraction from learning about RabbitMQ.

The installation section talks through setting up both RabbitMQ and the Node.js systems; also mentions the RabbitMQ CLI and web UI tools.

The examples run through the usages of all the various AMQP concepts of brokers, exchanges, queues and bindings. These concepts are the most complicated aspect of programming RabbitMQ in your system; I'd have appreciated more detail about when and why you would choose one kind of exchange over another; why you would use one kind of binding. But I appreciate that within the space constraints of the book, this may not have been possible.

The author finishes with an interesting last chapter "Go Forth and Multiply" of further topics for consideration, including a useful last section on architecture and performance choices.

In summary, I thought the book was good value for its price. I would read more by this author, and I would especially be interested in a larger or followup book containing more detail on the "why" part of using RabbitMQ, rather than the "how"; I think he would have a lot of useful material to share.

PLUS POINTS:

- A concise run-through setting up and designing for a reliable, distributed system which used the RabbitMQ messaging system
- As an existing RabbitMQ developer, I found it interesting and I learnt from it
- It's well written
- Good value

MINUS POINTS:
- The title is a bit of a mouthful, especially for a book in the "Instant" series ("Short, Fast, Focussed").
- The book description should mention its reliance on Node.js for all code examples
- More detail needed on AMQP principles: exchanges, bindings, queues. When to choose which sort?

Mozart: Requiem
Mozart: Requiem

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem (MP3 Download)
A vibrant recording. Bought this to remind myself what the piece sounds like, just before going to sing in a scratch requiem, I had forgotten what a stunning piece of music it is; this is a brilliant recording of it.

Scratch
Scratch

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it - didn't expect to..., 12 Mar 2012
This review is from: Scratch (Kindle Edition)
If you're reading a book and you're near the end and you're trying to read it slower because you don't want the book to finish just yet - the author has definitely done something right. Danny Gillan did that for me with "Scratch".

P.S. I didn't expect to like the book because initially the main character seems quite unsympathetic. But give the book a few chapters, it's worth it.

Trust 1300VA Management UPS PW-4130M
Trust 1300VA Management UPS PW-4130M

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 6 Sep 2011
I bought this to protect a new server; so far it seems to work well. It's caught one power fluctuation already, leaving the server blissfully unaware that all the lights were flickering and other appliances were going on and off.

I've seen comments about it being noisy from other reviewers; I haven't found a problem with that.

Identity Crisis (A Sam McRae Mystery Book 1)
Identity Crisis (A Sam McRae Mystery Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth trying if you like Sue Grafton / Sara Paretsky, 13 Nov 2010
I like Sue Grafton / Sara Paretsky books and I liked this.

The Kindle sample book gives you enough to figure out if you like the book (which often I've found they don't) so give it a try.

I finished the book feeling that the main character Sam McRae has got more to say, and more character to flesh out and I'd like to get to know her some more; so I'm hoping the next in the series gets released over here real soon.

Stanley MINI TRIPOD LED TORCH (discontinued by manufacturer)
Stanley MINI TRIPOD LED TORCH (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful little torch, 27 Nov 2008
I'm a computer programmer, I often have to guddle around inside computers replacing memory, disks, network cards. There's never enough light to see what you're doing.

My husband is a joiner, he often has to fiddle around inside dark cupboards or other cramped corners. There's never enough light.

I bought this torch for myself; he saw it sitting around and now it appears to live in his toolbox rather than mine. Hmmph. So we've ordered another couple to stop the arguments!

If you need more light in a small space without having to grip a torch between your teeth, this is ideal.

Page: 1 | 2