Profile for lindy-lou > Reviews

Content by lindy-lou

lindy-lou

Death on the Marais (Inspector Rocco)
Death on the Marais (Inspector Rocco)
by Adrian Magson
Price: 5.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Did not want to put it down, 4 Aug 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, in fact I did not want to put it down as the story gripped me right from the first page. I look forward to reading the next in the series.

The Burry Man's Day (Dandy Gilver Murder Mystery 2)
The Burry Man's Day (Dandy Gilver Murder Mystery 2)
by Catriona McPherson
Price: 5.88

4.0 out of 5 stars First time I have read anything by this author, 3 Aug 2011
I read this book following a recommendation by a friend. I thoroughly enjoyed it and in turn I would recommend it. This is a gentle read, a step back in time to another era. It probably helped that I lived in South Queensferry for several years and so know the area well, recognised the various locations mentioned in the book and have seen the "Burry Man" many times. I think that the book is very well written, the author's powers of description are excellent and in contrast to modern crime/mystery novels the language is gentle rather than offensive. The book contains humour and there is a twist at the end which I did not expect. I would think that is is perhaps more of a woman's book than the sort of book a man would choose to read as it ambles rather than races but it is definitely a good read and I will definitely buy another book by Catriona McPherson.

Jeremy & Amy: The Extraordinary Story of One Man and His Orang-utan
Jeremy & Amy: The Extraordinary Story of One Man and His Orang-utan
by Jeremy Keeling
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 3 July 2011
I spent almost 5 years of my childhood in Gibraltar and hated the apes as I watched them interact with visitors and residents alike - at that time the school I attended was high enough up the Rock so that they came into the classroom and created mayhem. Since that time I have never been remotely interested in monkeys/apes or indeed any other primate.

A few months ago I came upon the TV Series "Monkey World", long after it was first aired on TV and I immediately became hooked. My dislike for primates disappeared and I gained a lot of pleasure watching the various groups form, grow and develop. The rapport and affection that the keepers feel towards their charges was evident for all to see, none more so than Jeremy who treated them better than a lot of people treat their immediate families. When I saw this book advertised I immediately sent for it and sat and read it from cover to cover over two days - I found it most interesting and informative, filling in the gaps in Jeremy's story - he has led an amazing life. I think that even if you have never seen the TV series you will greatly enjoy the book and I would highly recommend it.

A Dance of Ghosts (Pi John Craine)
A Dance of Ghosts (Pi John Craine)
by Kevin Brooks
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Story - unacceptable language, 18 Jun 2011
I have very mixed feelings about this book - the story gripped me and I wanted to know what happened next but I found the use of what is to my mind foul language totally unacceptable. I am not a prude, read a lot of modern crime fiction and I accept that words that were once not spoken in everyday language have become common but to my mind this went just too far (and too often) for my taste. In my opinion the language used was totally unnecessary to the story and was used for effect, to shock rather than to move the story on which is sad. I would have recommended this book to other people but sadly do not feel that I want them to associate me with the language in this book. If this is the level of this writer's vocabulary then sadly this will be the last of his books that I will read.

Scones
Scones
by Genevieve Knights

5.0 out of 5 stars Scones Galore, 10 Aug 2010
This review is from: Scones (Paperback)
I regularly bake for local fund raising events and am always looking for something different to tempt people to buy. This book caught my attention as I could not imagine that a whole book could be written about scones - I was wrong. There is a terrific variety of all sorts of scones from savoury to very sweet and most definitely something for every taste. I look forward to trying some of the more unusual ones, particularly the Christmas Scone Cake which involves soaking fruit in brandy overnight then is cooked and served with brandy butter - yummy!!

When one considers the cost of purchasing scones in cafes this book will hopefully encourage people to bake at home, not only to enjoy the variety of taste but also to get value for money.

Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook
Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook
by Mary Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Would not be without it, 10 Aug 2010
I have used Mary Berry books for 30+ years and purchased this book for each of the next generation within the family when they set up home. They now use it as their reference books and have been delighted with the end result of each and every one of the recipes that they have followed. I would strongly recommend this book to cooks of all ages, particularly as a gift for a young person leaving home and anxious to develop their range of cooking skills.

Cook up a Feast
Cook up a Feast
by Mary Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Berry - Entertaining made easy, 10 Aug 2010
This review is from: Cook up a Feast (Hardcover)
I have always found Mary Berry Cookery Books to be an essential part of of my life in the kitchen. I purchased my first copy of one of her books when I was newly married 30+ years ago and over the years have built up a large selection covering so many aspects of cooking. When Lucy Young started producing books I bought each of them and between the two of them need never refer to any other cookery writer (although I do have an extensive library of cookery books). This latest book is ideal for anyone who is faced with the prospect of entertaining larger numbers of people and feel quite daunted at the prospect, not only does it assist with quantities, serving ideas etc it also has a selection of easily prepared dishes with very clear instructions on how and when to prepare the dish in relation to the time of the social occasion. I would strongly recommend all Mary Berry Books, this book has made a welcome addition to my collection.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2010 6:58 PM BST

Fear the Worst
Fear the Worst
by Linwood Barclay
Price: 5.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me!, 10 Aug 2010
This review is from: Fear the Worst (Paperback)
Having read Linwood Barclay's previous two books I had high expectations when I purchased this one. Unfortunately the story line did not grip me and it was sheer determination to see if it improved that made me continue until the end - it did not! I was severely tempted to discard the book at various stages and in the end wished I had done so. I found the central character extremely irritating and the story line implausible.