Profile for Warren. S. > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking
The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, 20 July 2012
I bought this on the recommendation of Stephen Fry and found it stimulating and interesting reading. I have always had an in-built aversion to "positive thinking" but had not appreciated how self-defeating it actually is. The other useful item was how we often fail to appreciate the difference between something bad and a worst case scenario.

As a follow up I have made looked up the Stoicism Society in the UK and bought a course as an introduction to Stoic thinking Stoic Serenity: A Practical Course on Finding Inner Peace. There is a little woo involved but as I understand Burkeman, this is easily dispensed with while retaining the bulk of helpful thinking.

Refresh White Water Repellent Polyester Shower Curtain Including 12 Curtain R...
Offered by Trade In Post Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but beware of washing, 4 July 2011
Was happy with the curtain, worked well and looks good - seems to be resistant to mould but beware washing it. It does not seem to provide any guidance on the packaging other than the 40C heat setting. Either during the wash or possibly during the spin virtually all the metal eyes were ripped out rendering the thing useless. Wash on gentle and do not spin (it doesn't need a spin anyway).

Duronic White 3m CAT6a FTP Professional Gold Headed Shielded Network Cable - High Speed 500MHz Premium Quality Cat6a / Patch / Ethernet / Modem / Router / LAN
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, 23 Feb 2011
Does exactly what it is meant to - I used them for connecting a computer and PS3 to a router.

Breville IR26  Iron
Breville IR26 Iron

1.0 out of 5 stars Very problematic - ruins clothes eventually, 21 Jun 2010
This iron did work fine for about 6 months, then it started clogging and spitting black bits onto the clothes. Steam was intermittent at best and only worked on high. I descaled and a lot of stuff came out and I switched to ironing water which worked for a while but the black bits persisted. Last straw was last night when it spat yellow coloured water onto a brand new £25 shirt (which I really hope will come out). My last iron which I left behind when I moved was a Phillips which lasted 13 years and is still going. Avoid this iron.

Apple Keyboard (MB110B/B)
Apple Keyboard (MB110B/B)
Offered by Office Nerd

5.0 out of 5 stars Works in Windows (mostly), 27 April 2010
I have a mac at home and use the wireless version of this keyboard. I love typing on it so much that I bought this one to plug into my work computer - now I have a quasi-mac typing experience - awesome. The keys are perfectly spaced increasing my typing accuracy and they feel solid under your fingers. I hate typing on traditional keyboards now. My flash drive works perfectly in the on-board USB ports and it will see but but sadly won't charge my iPhone (gives a low power indicator). I had a little difficulty (still do to a degree) in switching between windows and mac (obviously not the keyboard's fault) alternately pressing cmd instead of ctrl for shortcuts but with practice this diminishes. The other irritating thing is that on windows it switches the @ and the " around so that takes getting used to. Lastly one day I turned insert off without knowing how I did it and it took me ages to figure it out - so what you do is turn numlock off and press the '0' button (marked ins on a windows keyboard) and turn numlock back on again and bob's your uncle. Buy this keyboard for your mac - but buy one for your windows pc too - you'll love it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2010 4:54 PM BST

Sylvanian Families Pig  Family
Sylvanian Families Pig Family
Offered by Hair Skin Beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little set, 27 April 2010
My little niece (4) absolutely loved these piggies, she wanted them out immediately and played with them for the better part of the day - now they have pride of place at the dining room of her barbie house - too cute!

Evidence of Evolution
Evidence of Evolution
by Mary Ellen Hannibal

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, 27 April 2010
This review is from: Evidence of Evolution (Hardcover)
Overall I loved this book, beautiful photos and the chapters were logically arranged. The text is a little sparse - this is not a text book on evolution and I'm not sure it would convince a skeptic. However, for those already convinced by the overwhelming evidence this book provides an easily readable aid to the contemplation of the majesty of evolution. Recommended.

So Close
So Close

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant from start to finish, 27 April 2010
This review is from: So Close (MP3 Download)
This album is uplifting, comforting and ultimately a damn good listen. I don't have all the music vocabulary to spell out exactly how he does it, all I can say is the CD speaks to one's soul. Daniel produced this album out of his own pocket and so had full creative control of the songs on it - they reflect the choices of person who feels very deeply and keenly. Daniel's been described as excruciatingly talented by fellow performers and I have to concur. If you're reading this, you haven't yet discovered Daniel's talent, if you had - you'd have the album! So get the mp3 album or the CD (always nicer to have) - either way I virtually guarantee you won't be sorry.

Plantronics .Audio 995 Wireless USB
Plantronics .Audio 995 Wireless USB

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Headset!, 10 Dec 2009
I did quite a bit of research before deciding on this headset. I wanted something wireless which would work with a Mac, had a good microphone and was comfortable. This headphone is all that and what's more it actually has great sound - really good enough to listen to music. Previously (pre-Mac) I had a Lifechat Wireless ZX-6000 Microsoft Lifechat ZX-6000 Headset- it was fine but this is definitely a step up for only a few quid more. Only thing is its not the prettiest set - looks like you're working on a cold war sub - but so what - doesn't bother me. Charging is easy - absolutely no set up required, plugged in the dongle, turned the headphones on and the computer had already set them up - as easy as. Also I can move to the next room (dry wall) with absolutely no loss of quality.

Kingston KVR 800Mz HyperX DDR2 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC Memory
Kingston KVR 800Mz HyperX DDR2 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC Memory

4.0 out of 5 stars Its memory - what can I say, 10 Oct 2009
The only thing I would say is that my windows index dropped .1 from the 2x1GB Corsair sticks I had in before - not sure why. I thought these would be at least as fast - nevertheless, they perform fine and they have solved the lagging issues I had with WOW and Vista in general.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3