Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for Mr. R. E. Billen > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. E. Billen

Mr. R. E. Billen "robathybravo" (Kent, UK)

Great Divide, The [Us Import]
Great Divide, The [Us Import]

2.0 out of 5 stars Stapp Has Lost His Way, 17 Jan. 2006
I got this album on import and wish I hadn't.
This is a modern solo career. He has an entire band, formerly known as Goneblind. This detail is forgotten now that he's a "solo" artist. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Creed fan, and now a huge Alter Bridge fan, also Mayfield Four, so that pairing works for me. (For those who don't know, Mayfield Four front man Myles Kennedy now fronts Alter Bridge who are also comprised of Mark Tremonti, Scott Phillips and Brian Marshall of Creed.) But as great as Weathered was, containing one of my all time favourite songs, My Sacrifice, the album as a whole was a slight decline from Human Clay and Stapps "Solo" career futhers this decline.
I like this album, but not very much. It drifts in the background only grabbing my attention for a couple of songs, one of which is Broken which is a fantastic song and almost worth buying the album just for it. There are songs I can't stand as well, one such song is Fight Song and Hard Way is another. The Great Divide is a good, highly listenable song, but only because it sounds like a good old Creed song. By half way through the album I can't wait for it to finish, what makes me come back is Broken, which being conveniently at the end of the album deserves another listen.
Another disappointment with this album is the fact it only has 10 tracks, someone of Stapps calibre should be able to produce more, especially given he's probably relying on an existing fan base, which is possibly split between him and Alter Bridge.
This leads me to my next point on the music on offer. In Alter Bridge all the musicians seem to have furthered themselves and their talent to make an exceptional album. Stapp seems to be getting lazier, lyrically. The imagery is less and the words seem less open to interpretation, a trait that was evident in the last Creed offering.
I have mixed feelings about this Album. I have not been waiting for it, especially not after Stapps Passion of the Christ song, and I've had Alter Bridge to listen to anyway. This album makes me sad, I miss Creed. This album annoys me cos Stapp tries things that sounds terrible. Also he's egotistical.
My opinion, as all this is: Don't buy it, borrow it, listen to it, if you like it, buy it, otherwise don't bother. Buy Alter Bridge, the music is better, more progressed and Myles Kennedy's voice is amazing. Just amazing.

Weathered
Weathered
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars The long awaited third edition to the Creed album collection, 22 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Weathered (Audio CD)
Not a particularly big band over here it is refreshing to here their name buzzing around the UK at last. Thanks to the amazing success of 'My Sacrifice' which isn't even released yet they are getting the recognition they deserve. This album like the previous two offers Creeds delightful mix of dense guitars with good riffs, strong vocals, excellent music and marvellous lyrics. Scott Stapps unique voice is a pleasant experience and the magnificent Mark Tremonti on lead guitar will amaze you. If you've only just heard of them get 'Human Clay', especially if you like meaningful songs like the moving 'With Arms Wide Open' and the awe-inspiring Higher. Their first album 'My Own Prison' is also a must.