Profile for Christian Halpin > Reviews

Content by Christian Halpin

Christian Halpin (Manchester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Kingston Technology 8 GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler SE9H Flash Drive with Metal Casing - Frustration Free Packaging

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
It's shiny! It's small! It works!

what more can you say

Rifts
Rifts

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Rifts (Audio CD)
oh 'eck - derivative...
sorry...

Pynchon's Against the Day: A Corrupted Pilgrim's Guide
Pynchon's Against the Day: A Corrupted Pilgrim's Guide
by Elisabeth Sharp McKetta

5.0 out of 5 stars Against the Day, 24 Feb. 2014
ATD is the only one of Pynchon's books I've not 'got'. It has hung there in my mind, puzzled over, and I don't think I ever understood it. I didn't like the rambling story, with no conclusions - but assumed this was largely the point. I didn't like the Chums of Chance, especially all that underground stuff, but had failed to appreciate their trajectory over the course of the entire book, treating them as diversionary far more than integral to the intention. I didn't like the cardboard cut-out feel of the characters, something I haven't felt about Pynchon's work since parts of V. The list goes on. But being an aficionado I thought that was largely because I hadn't understood it properly, as all his previous works have struck some chord with me, and have raised my curiosity in so many ways. So what was I missing, why wasn't ATD doing that this time?
I ploughed through it twice, the second time to find what I missed. It was hard going.
The Wiki is useful but didn't elucidate the essence of it for me. This pilgrim's guide does.
For me it is a lot of money to spend on a punt. So for those who are hesitating I think this book is as essential as the Vineland Papers or the GR Companion. ATD has risen in stature now for me. Amongst many things I have taken from this guide is that I appreciate far more the role of the text itself - it's use of style too mimic (and define) the times.
Can't recommend this enough to anyone who thinks that ATD is hard or rambling or they will never read it again. I've now re-read it after reading the guide and it was considerable clearer. Perhaps an example of the daily scrabbling at the edges to gain a provisional or subjunctive insight.

Lawrence of Arabia (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [1962] [Region Free]
Lawrence of Arabia (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [1962] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Peter O'Toole

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 19 Feb. 2013
No point describing the movie but the updated transfer is something else including the concomitant improvement in the sound track. Although I understand the purists view about not tinkering with the sound, I also think that with all the new decoding technology in AV systems you may as well make use of it. Powerful and compelling movie brought up to date.

Fur
Fur

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Fur (Audio CD)
Love Archie Bronson Outfit, love 'em live, love 'em on CD; brutal hard and raw. Sound like they are on to something...

Silver & Diamond Ladies' Triangle Cube Earrings and 41cm Pendant Set
Silver & Diamond Ladies' Triangle Cube Earrings and 41cm Pendant Set

3.0 out of 5 stars tiny, 19 Feb. 2013
Tiny, tiny 'diamonds'. In fairness you are warned. You can see them in the right light. But what do you want for this price, you ungrateful sods....

Jackie Brown [Blu-ray]
Jackie Brown [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro

4.0 out of 5 stars one down from a masterpiece, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Jackie Brown [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
...but I'm not sure why. The filming is great without being flashy; the characters are broadly believable (within the genre - its not like i've ever hung out with thugs, drug addicts and violent men to judge); the pacing is superb; and the script is excellent. So what's the problem? Possibly because it's not got the immediate punch of Reservoir Dogs; or the technical skill of his masterpiece Pulp Fiction so you know he is capable of making more. I've not seen Django Unchained yet but I reckon Tarantino's movies went downhill after Jackie Brown. I wonder why?

La Haine [Blu-ray]
La Haine [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Vincent Cassel

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: La Haine [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Still packs a punch - I originally saw it at a BFF screening in the 90s and owned a VHS of it! The beginning is great - a petrol bomb on the world. A proper atavistic image. The story is involving and revolves around the question of where the gun is going to end up?

The Complete Matrix Trilogy [Blu-ray] [1999] [Region Free]
The Complete Matrix Trilogy [Blu-ray] [1999] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 19 Feb. 2013
Well at least the first movie is a classic. The other two are cliched I think. Nevertheless I bought them - for the Blu-ray benefits of brilliant picture and HD audio

1Q84: Books 1 and 2
1Q84: Books 1 and 2
by Haruki Murakami

3.0 out of 5 stars Middling, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: 1Q84: Books 1 and 2 (Hardcover)
God, it goes on and on. I felt strongly that it needs some heavy editing - there's too much constant explication and summarising what the plot is; there are too many longeurs. Unlike so many of his other books that just draw you gently and surprisingly into a surreal world leaving you looking at the world differently; this one pushes you into it - the device of literally climbing a ladder into a new world isnt subtle as I wanted, plus you know it's going to happen. I expected better.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3