Profile for Mo > Reviews

Steelheart (Reckoners 1)
by Brandon Sanderson
Price: 11.43

4.0 out of 5 stars Super concept, 20 Oct 2013
I would give this four stars simply because Brandon Sanderson has a gift for dragging you in irrespective of which age group he is aiming his writing at. I loved the beginning, loved the concept, but if there is one thing that irritated the hell out of me was David's one-liners to himself.I am not a fan of first person narratives, because so much gets left out when it is written from a singular perspective and second, your perception and views of the happenings are coloured by the narrator, in this case, David. He is a kid - but surely an 18 year old in today's world, especially one having gone through such hard times, would be a little more grown-up. The ending was great - and makes you look forward to the next one. Would like to see a little more development of Abraham, Casey and the Prof but hopefully in the next one.

The Ice Dragon
The Ice Dragon
by George R. R. Martin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars A child's book written by an unhappy adult, 2 Sep 2011
Didn't realize this was really a children's book but written by a man with many hard reflections of his
own experiences which dilutes its appeal completely. It's neither magical though it could have been nor is it deeply meaningful but really reads like a preface to some book. Cornelia Funke has done a far better job than this with DragonRider for example. George RR M should stick to stuff like song of ice and fire - there he is superlative.

Iron House
Iron House
by John Hart
Price: 6.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a read, but...., 2 Sep 2011
This review is from: Iron House (Paperback)
I have been a fan of John Hart since I read his first book but I have to say I am not sure whether I really liked Iron House. Michael is really not a typical Hart central character as he is a true hero. By that I mean tough, strong, mean - but a man of steel always governed by love - be it for the girlfriend or brother. The story is not bad at all and complex as some reviewers have pointed out as a negative - but the complexity is what makes Hart's world and the narrative going. I wouldn't suggest this as the first to read if you haven't tried Hart before - but I don't regret buying it at all.