Profile for E. Buckton > Reviews

Content by E. Buckton

E. Buckton "Beanburger" (Surrey)

Battlefield 2: The Complete Collection (PC DVD)
Battlefield 2: The Complete Collection (PC DVD)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the greatest PC game - May 2010, 4 May 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
When it was first released in 2005, I had never played such a fun game. The size and layout of the maps coupled with up to 64 player's results in an immense online experience. Moments of utter frustration balanced by moments of utter joy.

Five years on and after being disappointed with BF Bad Company 2, I thought I'd dust off BF2. Once I'd installed patch 14.1 and 1.5 (which included both boosters, Euro Force and Armored Fury free)I was back in the thick of it.

There are still 400+ ranked servers (plus hundreds more) and you still struggle to get a place on the popular servers at times. Now that both booster packs (AF & EF) are free to download with patch 1.5, these maps are being played more than they probably ever have been and they offer something new to the old hand. Online game play was and still is the best.

Single player is dull and in 2010 there are a lot better FPS alternatives if online multiplayer is not your thing.

I couldn't get this to run on my new PC with Windows 7 64 bit. However I didn't persevere and i have read on the EA forums of the way to sort this out.

If you haven't played BF2 before, it will now run at full settings on most low to mid range PC's and is immense fun. (just remember to download the patches)

If you've played it before and moved on, dust off your old copy, I bet you've forgotten how good it is!

Comparison to BF Bad Company 2

In comparison to BF Bad Company 2, the original BF2 wins hands down imo. I played BFBC 2 on full graphics settings and it doesn't offer that much more than the BF2 (a few extra landscape and object details, but that's about it) Also, the map size is small and limited to 32 players and I find the online game play cluttered, without the freedom to try different tactics or really make the most of squad sytem. The game is closer to BF2 Special Forces expansion in size, and not the ground breaking (although the buildings and landscape can be destroyed ;)) experience I was hoping for. I think I'll wait for Battlefield 3 (2 years or so to wait) before I finally shelve BattleField 2 for good.

Wayne Goddard's $50 Knife Shop
Wayne Goddard's $50 Knife Shop
by W. Goddard

3.0 out of 5 stars Ned-Buckton, 1 Jun. 2007
This book does not provide the beginner with a clear and logical methodology of the knife making process. I would therefore recommend Step-By-Step Knife Making by David Boyel as a first choice.

Also on the negative side, the book is made up from a series of magazine articles, written by the author and therefore is quite disjointed. The title largely relates to one of these articles and if like me you live in the UK, setting a knife shop for £40 quid is not as straight forward due to a lack of thrift stores, yard sales and a local wood mill for worn out ban saw blades.

What this book does offer is sound information to take your knife making forward once you have practiced the basics. There is detailed information in regards to forging and forge making and also the production of wire damascus. Also some nice colour photos of the authors knives for envy / inspiration.