Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Beverley)

God With You at Work (Heaven in Business Book 1)
God With You at Work (Heaven in Business Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars but the book uses helpful stories and examples to open them up and give good pointers. The chapters finish with application poin, 24 Nov. 2014
Andy Mason covers some well chosen topics under the banner of helping us become more effective at work - which is where many of us spend the majority of our everyday lives. So the topics are not specifically about work - but about how we lead more effective lives as Christians - in the context of work.

Each topic is potentially quite large, but the book uses helpful stories and examples to open them up and give good pointers. The chapters finish with application points - so the book would lend itself to being used as a five week theme for small groups.

Ive seen Andy live (well on video) and the book covers some of the themes and stories he uses for his seminars (which incidently would get five starts and a compeletely rave review). The book doesn't quite catch the enthusiasm and spirit which Andy brings in person, but its still well worth reading and using as a personal study aid, so four stars.

[Refurbished] UNLOCKED Motorola MOTO G (4.5 inch Touch) Mobile Phone Quad-Core A7 (1.2GHz) 8GB Wi-Fi Bluetooth Camera Android 4.3 (Black) (Box opened, product as new)
Offered by gsm m

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 29 April 2014
'Upgraded' to this from a much more expensive HTC One, (my wife has now snaffled the old phone). Its fast and easy to use, the migration from my old phone brought over all my contacts, sms, etc. Can't fault it.

Invading Babylon: The 7 Mountain Mandate
Invading Babylon: The 7 Mountain Mandate
by Lance Wallnau

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Overview, 29 April 2014
I was aware of the 7 Mountain Mandate before I purchased this book, and I am a fan of Bill Johnson.
Even so I have been disappointed by some books from that stable, but this is not one of them.
Lance has done a great job of selecting key chapters from several key authors - and the result is inspiring and challenging.
It helps to get perspective from different individuals on how this topic impacts them, and the result is a broad overview. Well worth reading.

The Lean Startup: How Constant Innovation Creates Radically Successful Businesses

5.0 out of 5 stars Seminal Book - This is a game changer, 29 July 2013
The concepts in this book are changing how start up businesses are organised and planned. As with many such theories, once you understand it, it seems like common sense. Its just that nobody was working and thinking this way before.

Also check out Steve Blank's work which was foundational for this. (The four steps to the Epiphany).
You tube has some great interviews and talks by both Eric Ries and Steve Blank which provide a good introduction and background.

Double Your Business: How to Break Through the Barriers to Higher Growth, Turnover and Profit (Financial Times Series)
by Lee Duncan

5.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense and Practical, 2 April 2012
I read this from cover to cover in two hours on Sunday afternoon. As a small business owner looking to grow my business, I wasn't a casual reader - I was looking for insight and tips that I could apply. I was not disappointed.

Lee's style is easy reading. Its not academic, and its peppered with real life stories to illustrate his points. But don't mistake easy reading for soft. He does not pull his punches, and I had several uncomfortable moments as I realised he was outlining areas where there was definite room for improvement in my business.

You can tell Lee has spent several years at the coal face working with real businesses. He gets to the heart of the matter, and then outlines very practical steps for how to resolve them. He outlines 22 potential barriers to growth, and then works through how those barriers can be removed.

I read this all in one go to get a feel for the overall approach. But I think to get the most from this book, it needs to be used as it was designed - as a manual to work through slowly and carefully. The order which the barriers are explained has also been well thought through, so that some of the more fundamental issues are dealt with first.

I suspect that working with Lee as a coach would be the optimal way to double your business. But I think he has probably distilled a large amount of his coaching know-how into this book, and using it as manual to work through over a period of months is the next best thing. I took away 5 key areas that I need to go to work on from my first reading, and fixing those alone could easily double my business. But if I work through each of the potential 22 barriers to growth and use Lee's insight, then I think my business could be unrecognisable in a few years.

VELVET ELVIS: Repainting the Christian Faith
VELVET ELVIS: Repainting the Christian Faith
by Rob Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars A voice of one calling in the desert..., 1 Oct. 2007
I've been questioning where I'm going as a 40 something Christian disillusioned with the mediocrity of my life and the Church compared with the vibrant and radical life that Jesus led - and wondering how in the world does one follow Jesus in the 21st Century.

Well Brian McClaren beat down a few walls (why I'm a....), Doug Pagitt (Church Re-imagined) inspired and Dallas Willard (The Divine Conspiracy) put a Theological framework around it. (All recommended)

But finally I found Rob Bell, and he nails it, succinctly, and with grace. He explains with depth and breadth in a very few pages, and without realising it the book is ended and you have been re-inspired.

Where to go next is a tricky question - but you can always plug in to the podcast from Mars Hill where he speaks most weeks... And if you're looking for radical, Rob put me on to Shane Claiborne....