Profile for J.P.K. > Reviews

Content by J.P.K.

J.P.K. "J.P." (Boston, MA)

D-Day 1944: Omaha Beach Pt. 1 (Osprey Campaign)
D-Day 1944: Omaha Beach Pt. 1 (Osprey Campaign)
by Steven J. Zaloga

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have on a visit to Omaha Beach, 28 Oct 2012
My grandfather, who passed away last year at 96, landed on Omaha beach on D-day. I recently visited Normandy to gain a better understand of what he experienced. To help, I bought several D-day guide books, and visited without a tour group so I could go at my own pace. It was the right choice, and I'm glad I had this book.

This book, while not a guide book explicitly, has fantastic, detailed color maps of the sections of Omaha beach and Pointe du hoc. Walking the beach today, it is serene and peaceful. The old war photographs, color maps, and detailed commentary really help one grasp an understanding of how the day unfolded. Maps show troop movements, terrain features, and provide a list of what German resistance elements were where. There are concise parts on the history of the planning phase.

There are several other D-day guide books out there, and recommend Major Holt's battlefield guide of D-day. It has many color present-day photos and is a great help in making the tour at your own pace, without the expense of a tour group.

For a more detailed account of Omaha beach, I recommend Joseph Balkoski's "Omaha Beach", In those 400 pages, you'll get many detailed, personal accounts supporting the narritive in the words of those who were there. However, it is a much longer read than the Osprey book.

A Traveller's Guide to D-Day and the Battle for Normandy/4th ed
A Traveller's Guide to D-Day and the Battle for Normandy/4th ed
by Carl Shilleto and Mike Tolhurst

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the history, but average for the tours, 28 Oct 2012
This book has fantastic, well-written accounts of the history of D-day, explaining in powerful prose what happened and the importance of the events. It covers more than most of the other D-day guides I purchased, because as the title indicates, it is for the battle of Normandy, which took about a month or two for the Allies to push inland. It's a great prepatory, concise reading before making the visit to France.

However, the downside is that the tour descriptions seemed very high-level, lacking the detail I sought, and the maps are inadequate to hold a self-guided tour. If your focus is the D-day beaches and events, I recommend Major Holt's Battlefield D-day guide, with full color photos and many more detailed maps. It's worth the extra cost.

The Definitive Battlefield Guide to the D-Day Normandy Landing Beaches
The Definitive Battlefield Guide to the D-Day Normandy Landing Beaches
by Major Holt

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide with just the right details and many photographs, 28 Oct 2012
I purchased several D-day tour books and I think this was the best, most helpful one. It has pages of full color, present-day photographs and good descriptions of the sights. There are many maps in the book, which are helpful. It's a small enough book to fit in a backpack or handbag without being too heavy, but not small enough to fit in a big pocket in your trousers. The cover is laminated, so the book won't get ruined in the rain that Normandy is known for.

The cost of the book is well worth it. I strongly preferred reading this book and using it as a guide at my own pace, rather than paying over $100 per person for a guided tour. My grandfather landed at Omaha beach on D-day, and I wanted to spend more time seeing that beach and the places he fought. If you're interested in Omaha beach, I recommend also reading Joseph Balkoski's "Omaha Beach" for a thorough recount, and using C"ampaign 100: D-Day 1944 (1) Omaha beach", which has GREAT maps of the battlefield and many pictures taken from the war.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2012 1:42 PM GMT