Profile for Alan Macgregor > Reviews

Content by Alan Macgregor

Alan Macgregor (Buckie, United Kingdom)

Brother MFC-9340CDW A4 Colour Multifunction Wireless All-In-One LED Printer
Brother MFC-9340CDW A4 Colour Multifunction Wireless All-In-One LED Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars My Office Brother, 29 Mar. 2014
This Multi-function Colour Laser machine is the second such machine I have had. The first machine (another make) was large, difficult to set up for networking, slow, noisy and expensive to use.

My Brother is a revelation in so many ways. Mine is wirelessly connected to my home-office network. The main computer is a late-2009 iMac running OSX Mavericks (10.9.2). The accompanying software CD comes with Mac 10.8 drivers. However, the setup program reported the software as incompatible and directed me to the Brother support site which provided a download with the proper drivers for printing and scanning.

The Brother is amazingly compact. It's size and weight are hardly more than my b/w Laser printer.
It was simple to set up for networking. The touch-screen is clear and easy to use in this regard.
Printing is much faster than I have been used to in a colour laser.
Scanning is a breeze. I love the duplex facility! I scan using Apple ImageCapture either directly or via Paperless.
Copying is simple, quick and easy, using the touch-screen. I love the duplex facility via the ADF. I've never had that in a copier before.
I have not used, and don't plan on using, the fax facility.

I've been using the Brother now for about 3 weeks. It has performed faultlessly. It has exceeded my expectations. Its price was keen. Its renewable materials - toner, drums, etc. are reasonably priced and readily available. I look forward to many happy years of service.

The Brother just works!

SPIGEN SGP Case Saturn Series Case for iPhone 5s / 5 Satin Silver
SPIGEN SGP Case Saturn Series Case for iPhone 5s / 5 Satin Silver
Offered by Keep in Case

1.0 out of 5 stars When is a case not a case?, 10 Jan. 2014
This just doesn't do what I was looking for. Call me naive but I thought a case to protect my new iPhone would cover the front rather than the back! For me this "case" is a waste of money because it doesn't encase the phone or cover its most vulnerable part (the front).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2014 10:52 AM BST

Sunshine On Leith [2013] [DVD]
Sunshine On Leith [2013] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Flemyng

5.0 out of 5 stars A Musical with a Decent Narrative, 2 Nov. 2013
If you like the Proclaimers' direct, honest songs, then you'll enjoy this direct, honest story. The characters are believable and rounded. I enjoyed the stage show a few years back, but the film is even better. The acting is excellent, the singing as good as the original songs. The cinematography is wonderfully atmospheric. Edinburgh is one of the films stars!

Duronic USB10WH WHITE AQUADAM High Speed 480Mbps - 10 Port USB Hub + USB cable + UK mains plug
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars It just works, 10 Nov. 2011
Bought this for my iMac. Neat and tidy. Plugged it in and it just works. No problems at all. The 10 ports provide lots of room for expansion.
Bought a second one recently for my MacBook Air. Compact design is perfect for portability. Plugged it in. It just works.

Happy Feet [DVD] [2006]
Happy Feet [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Singin' 'n' Dancin' in the Snow, 21 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Happy Feet [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I loved this movie. I bought it to make up my order to the Amazon minimum value order for free delivery. It was just a "make-weight". What a surprise! Superb animation, great songs, dancing, and an important message. Wonderful entertainment. We've watched it about six times now and still love it!

March of the Penguins - Luc Jacquet [DVD] [2005]
March of the Penguins - Luc Jacquet [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Luc Jacquet
Offered by Qoolist

1.0 out of 5 stars Drag of the Penguins, 21 Dec. 2007
This was sadly disappointing. It taught me nothing about emperor penguins I didn't already know. It was "precious" and altogether tedious.

Office OneNote 2003
Office OneNote 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars OneNote - Only Note, 7 May 2005
This review is from: Office OneNote 2003 (CD-ROM)
OneNote is a phenomenal piece of software. As a part-time, postgraduate, doctoral student, where time is at a premium, I have found in Microsoft OneNote a program which saves me precious hours of time which used to be spent collating, highlighting and remembering what's where in my notes. Setting up flags (which are the organisational heart of the data management) is a snap; highlighting is simple; searching is wonderful, as the program searches both typescript and handwriting selectively in a single document, a page, a section, a folder - or even the whole notebook.And all this in one program.
I have only had the software a couple of months and already I feel comfortable and at home with it. It is so intuitive to use and so well put together - and it works seamlessly with the rest of Microsoft Office. The tutorial package is excellent, the available online training is actually helpful. The program is robust too. It has never displayed even the slightest bug. Indeed, this program is so good that on the back of my experience I bought a Tablet PC which came with it already installed, so that I can now literally write my notes straight into OneNote, where they are easily organised, stay organised, and yet can easily be searched. Reports and papers are very straightforward to produce.
So impressed have I been with OneNote that I have started to use it to expand its use into my fulltime professional work taking notes at meetings and organising my to-do lists. I just wish it integrated with my Palm PDA; but that may come.
If like me you're a student or someone who takes lots of notes and needs to stay organised, when time is of the essence, then OneNote is for you. Buy it; you won't regret it.