Profile for nobody > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
1989
1989

5.0 out of 5 stars Sell Out?, 6 Feb. 2015
This review is from: 1989 (Audio CD)
Brilliant album. I was horrified when I first heard "Shake It Off" and even more so when I saw the music video. "What is this garbage?! Where did the Taylor I knew and loved go?! Pfft. Sell out." But god did it grow on me. And I'm still "shaking it off" to this day.

I wasn't actually planning on buying this album. I have every single album she had ever released, but I was ready to mourn one of my favourite artists. Call it a day. But to my surprise the album was getting good reviews. So I decided to give Swift a chance and buy it.

Now let me say this: Best. T Swift album. Ever. Every single track is good. And ever since, this CD has been on a constant loop. The sheer amount of replays has been in excess of 50 times (at least), and I'm not getting tired of it yet. There are so many catchy gems in here! Country Taylor has indeed died a swift death (see what I did there?), and therefore this whole album is pure 100% not from concentrate pop. It feels a little weird and takes some getting used to, but listen a little deeper - you definitely still know that it is coming from Taylor. In some of her older work, there were a lot of misplaced and disjointed lyrics, repetitiveness... lets just say it was generally rough around the edges. Here, the catchy hooks and clever lyrics are still present. And yet, they are presented in an all-new glossy and polished format. Old Taylor, but just a bit better...and minus the banjos.

Now the leading single, "Shake It Off" is one of the best ones for sure. And of course, "Blank Space" is awesome. But I'll talk about the songs that are less well known. "This Love" is simply beautiful! Listen to it and close your eyes. The vocals will just engulf you and send you somewhere else entirely. The song has so many layers and things that may not be apparent at first listen. "Wildest Dreams" and "Style" are as catchy as the two singles and you won't tire of either. "I Know Places" is a smart piece of writing with a brilliant arrangement and is another one of the stand out tracks. "How You Get The Girl" is a cute one that is a throwback to her older albums without going there completely. "I Wish You Would" should be a heartbreak and loss anthem! Reminds me of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper actually, not that that's a bad thing. "Clean" is a chilled one like "This Love", but with a different feel entirely. I love this one too.

While I do love every song and can easily listen to the whole album without skipping a track, but these are just the songs that don't do it for me as much as the rest. The ones for me are "Welcome To New York", "Out Of The Woods", "All You Had To Do Was Stay" and "Bad Blood". Maybe just not as catchy, or I just don't "get" them.

Lets not even get into all of the bonus tracks which you just NEED to get. They are seriously as good as if not better than some of the songs on the actual album. "Wonderland" and "New Romantics" are reminiscent of both "Style" and "I Knew You Were Trouble", if not a bit catchier and less annoying? "You Are In Love" reminds me of "This Love", not just because of the similar names, but "You Are In Love" is filled with emotion and sentimentality which I am a sucker for.

This album is definitely a winner. and I can definitely foresee a few more hit singles. I am excited to see what Taylor does next!

ghd IV Styler
ghd IV Styler

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm scared, 28 Nov. 2014
This review is from: ghd IV Styler (Personal Care)
I have been an avid user and lover of my 8 year old GHDs and regarded them as one of the best things I bought. Without fail I use them every single day, even if I decide to keep my hair natural, I always need to do my fringe or touch up a few areas. Always brilliant at doing the job of straightening my very thick coarse hair and never had any complaints.

Until now.

This morning I was using them as usual and turned them off. I decided to go back and re-do another area so turned them on again. I did not notice anything weird until I went to straighten the front part of my hair and head a loud sizzling noise. I quickly took them off to find that they had actually burnt off some strands of hair and singed the rest of it! They turned themselves off and now won't turn on again.

Its probably a problem with the fuse but quite frankly I'm terrified of going any where near them now and I'm definitely in two minds whether to buy a new pair or not, especially not the same model. Nothing like this has ever happened before so I'm really quite worried now.

Sick Notes
Sick Notes
by Tony Copperfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend!, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Sick Notes (Paperback)
I haven't finished and still have about a quarter left of this book but I thoroughly recommend it! Bought it quite a while ago and has been sitting in my kindle waiting patiently until I decided to give it a read on my flight. This book kept me thoroughly entertained and I didn't even feel the time go by! I'm training to work in a healthcare profession and a lot of the points raised I could whole heartedly agree with as well as frustrations about certain patients, the health system and all the unnecessary bureaucracy. It was also a real eye-opener about the work GP's carry out and what they have to deal with. I found it really interesting reading about the patients the sees and all the anecdotes - what can I say, I'm just really nosy. Copperfield explains everything he talks about in a way the average lay-person can understand, although there are a few medical jokes thrown in too. Will be sad when I finish it and have to find something else to read!

The Secret
The Secret
by Rhonda Byrne

4.0 out of 5 stars You can chose to listen to the negative reviews, or you can buy this book and make up your own mind., 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Secret (Hardcover)
The negative reviews caused me to very nearly give this a miss. I have been on a constant journey throughout my life. Every day was a constant struggle with inadequacy and self-esteem, being caught up on the past, and believing that the past will repeat itself in the future. I have been sad and depressed, hurt and lonely more times than I can remember. Though did I even experience overly difficult hardships? No.

The truth is that I always thought that I was missing something others had. That magically other people had the tools and ability to get what they want, gain prosperity and receive love. In reality, I have everything I could ever need to do it. I have more than those who achieved more than me. How can they get so much with so little resources?

Now let me tell you that I am a very cynical, logical and most of all realistic person. I also tend to criticise everything - You could almost say I'm a killjoy. Therefore, the reviews gave me an impression that the book was completely without basis, that I'd have to roll my eyes every few lines, and that it was complete quakary. Now there are some sections or paragraphs that I consider utter dogs faeces. But there are other, very, very valuable and powerful insights scattered around that more than make up for it.

These are things that we would all say, "Oh I already knew that." or "That's so obvious." But the point is, are you aware of them every single day of your life? Do you know how to put this knowledge into action? One of Byrne's points was basically "The law of attraction", and if you think something it will be. I interpreted this to be equivalent to undertaking a self-fulfilling prophecy. And how true is this? If you think you are bad at school, you will be bad at school. Byrne want's us to think we are positive things instead, and therefore, we become those positive things. It happens with events and actions as well! If you are constantly thinking "I'm so scared I will mess up this presentation" you will most likely mess up. Also if something positive happens, you automatically become in the mindset to receive and do more positive things (or as she puts it, you are emitting that frequency now and thus attract more of it) How many times have you had one of those days where everything seems to go wrong?! Have you ever wondered why everything goes wrong at once? You wake up late, stub your toe, get toothpaste on your shirt, lose your car keys, your car breaks down, you're late, you do badly in a test....... Well this is why. These principles help you break free of this cycle. And basically in my view, Byrne is explaining concepts that already exist but is choosing to describe them in a fancier way. She does say at multiple points; we are able to chose what to call it, be it God, Quantum Physics, A Higher Power, Energy - whatever. And we also have the freedom to chose which sections to believe.

I also really like the point about living as if things are in abundance, especially with money and relationships. You'll always be able to earn more money, and there is always more fish in the sea. How nice are those thoughts? Also giving gratitude for every little thing in your life is something we should all start practising, and actually reminded me of the importance of prayer. Positive thoughts at all times is encouraged and I totally agree in order to ensure you are moving forward. Name me one time when negative thoughts and wallowing in self-pity ever did anyone any good? (It certainly didn't do me any.)

For the people arguing that no one ever got a chocolate bar by just wishing it into existence, you are correct. But did you even read the whole book? She explains that the "universe" (or whichever you want to substitute, eg. God) creates opportunities and doors and shows them to you naturally in order to lead you to that thing. Also on top of that, she explains we have to act like we already have that thing, and do all the things someone with that thing would already do. Now in the case of say earning more money, you'd have to work hard, and have dedication and determination in whatever you do. Those are traits of people who make money. And as you can see, adopting those traits ain't easy. But that's the beauty. If you truly wanted something, you would do it. It weeds out the people who simply can't be bothered.

But she does claim that sometimes you simply can "wish" something to be there. Byrne included an example of someone always expecting there to be a parking place. I was highly cynical of this. But I decided to try and be open minded as I had nothing to lose. Next time I went out, I used the principles in order to ensure a parking place near the venue. Usually on a Saturday night it is impossible to even move from the traffic, let alone for there to be free places. To my utter astonishment, when I arrived, there was a free space directly in front of the place! I went into it with ease as if it was meant for me, the traffic was horrific and it was the only space there was. I will just go ahead and say that I am just a tad creeped out right now.

There is so many things that fit in with religion for me, and that is how I chose to take most of the stuff. You could of course take and interpret it a different way that's personal to you. What really opened my eyes is when she directly asks me what I want. If I could have anything in this world without any limits, what do I want?! I sat for about 10 minutes and was completely stumped. I had no clue. Not even that, I couldn't even bring myself to think of anything! I had believed for so long that I wasn't important and I should be constantly giving to others. Like most religious people would, I felt utterly selfish thinking me me me. But this isn't the case. Because when I don't take care of myself first, I have nothing to give to others. This has completely opened my eyes and made me realise that I am in fact a worthy person. I realised that all this time I wasn't getting/feeling prosperity and love, because I simply didn't allow myself to.

All-in-all its a lot of stuff thats already out-there and common sense, but is packaged in a way to make it seem special and to sell as many copies as possible. But that doesn't detract from the fact that there are people out there for which these principles will do the world of good. Most of the negative reviewers acknowledge that the stuff in here is useful and does actually work but then say its in millions of other self-help books and don't give examples of any. This one out of all the ones I've read, makes the largest impact. I would encourage everyone to read and try it - It makes for more comfortable reading to remember you can manipulate the "rules" to your own understanding, and take whichever you want with a pinch of salt.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2015 12:26 AM BST

Cath Kidston Diary 2014 Small (A6)
Cath Kidston Diary 2014 Small (A6)
by Kidston Cath
Edition: Diary

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm Happy, 19 Jan. 2014
I too had last years diary and loved it. This one is basically the same, actually I think its improved. I like the popper closure because the old one used to open in my bag and the pages would get crinkled and folded, this one I can throw in without any worries. The paper is also good quality and the designs are nicer and cuter. There's more space to write notes in the weekly view as well as monthly. But its a matter of taste as the monthly view is now in lines, instead of squares which was more visual. Personal data is now the first page which makes it easier to find for others in emergencies. I do miss the little plastic pocket with the zip closure though, but there is still a fold out one. Apart from that I don't know what people are complaining about.

Edit... I take my review back. A week after writing, my fastener thing has come off. I opened it as usual and it literally just fell to the ground. I don't heavily open or close it either. I notice quite a lot of reviews have experienced the same thing - strange.

I have however found a way to use the last years cover, if you don't mind doing a little DIY and a bit of defacing. This diary doesn't currently fit because the back cover is larger than the plastic zip-pocket folder. I lined up the back cover to see where to cut, and cut along where the folder ended, I only had to remove a small amount. It now fits perfectly!

Born to Die
Born to Die

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album, it deserves a few listens to get into it!, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Born to Die (Audio CD)
When I first listened I had to agree with the "she sounds so depressing and drones forever crew", but now I'm in love. Every single song on this album sounds very cinematic and is described as wanting to be so by Lana herself which lends well if you like to imagine things while listening to music - I know I do! The album sounds very dreamy and ethereal at times. From the music and samples, to the lyrics, this is a very consistent album and everything sounds as if it fits on here (unlike other albums which are a mixed bag). This is still a very enjoyable album and I can honestly say I love every song except for Lolita. It's very very hard to chose one favourite.

1. Born To Die
Painfully beautiful. Melancholy and somewhat sad. Took off a mark because it is a bit slow and could get boring after a while. But trust me, its a long while. 9/10

2. Off To The Races
More fast paced and one of the more upbeat ones. The song itself isn't that cheerful, which says something about the whole album! (It doesn't matter though, I don't care much about the lack of happy songs. I think the album works very well the way is!) Lana's voice goes from very deep to high in different parts of the song and works very well in the track. 9/10

3. Blue Jeans
I love the way this song is crafted! A real grower but also catchy, again one of the upbeat ones. You will be singing this all day. 10/10

4. Video Games
Where it all started. Melancholy, slow, powerful. When anyone first listens to this song, it usually gets their undivided attention. Her voice just stands out and commands attention and sends shivers down your spine. Even my mum who doesn't even listen to much music commented on how beautiful her voice was. I'm trying to not use the word cinematic because all the songs are, but this one I would say is the most. 10/10

5. Diet Mountain Dew
This song sounds so familiar but I can't put my finger on what song it sounds like!! Oh well. Its a good song but not one of my favourites. It has a catchy tune in the chorus, albeit a bit repetitive. And I have no idea what diet mountain dew has to do with anything... maybe I'm missing something? 7/10

6. National Anthem
At first I didn't like this song, but what can I say, it grew on me! I must say, I also don't understand the lyrics. I suppose the whole album is meant for throwing a few words around to create an image. "I'm your National Anthem, God, you're so handsome, Take me to the Hamptons, Bugatti Veyron."?! Again I think I'm missing something, if it's meant to be humorous (it probably is) I don't get it. But anyway, the tune, singing and the music itself is very good and very catchy. 8/10

7. Dark Paradise
Dark (as the name suggests), I find this song a bit reminiscent of evanescence, with the loud drum beat and haunting vocals. "Every time I close my eyes, its like a dark paradise." Love this! 10/10

8. Radio
The start is quite slow and a bit dreary, but erupts into a fast paced chorus. "Now my life is sweet like cinnamon, like a f****** dream I'm living in." I don't know why, but I can imagine he singing this at a festival or a concert and the crowd singing along in the chorus! 8/10

9. Carmen
The tune is not that special, the song is a bit sad and depressing... but why can't I stop singing this song?! For the past few days I just could get this song out of my head. "The boys. The girls. They all like Carmen." All.day.long. It did grow on me a lot and I have a feeling this is why its her next single. 8/10

10. Million Dollar Man
Beautiful song which will not leave you. I actually think its perfect, and it's very soothing, Lana's vocals are also very piercing and sound strong in this. 10/10

11. Summertime Sadness
This is like an anthem, didn't think much of it at first but now I love it! It's quite a feel good song, hmm even though the song is called summertime sadness? 10/10

12. This Is What Makes Us Girls
A song that tells a story! Even though to me the chorus doesn't make much sense, "This is what makes us girls, We all look for heaven and we put our love first, Somethin' that we'd die for, it's our curse, Don't cry about it, don't cry about it."...nope don't get it. But I think I can forgive that because the song is overall good. A good end to the album if you don't get the deluxe version as its one of the more fast paced songs. 9/10

13. Without You
Too good to be on the deluxe I think (well its probably because they want people to buy it). It's one of my favourites out of the whole album! Upbeat, catchy. 10/10

14. Lolita
Fast paced, haunting, a tad creepy, loud. Not my cup of tea. 2/10

15. Lucky Ones
A more feel good song, and another great way to end the album. Soothing, catchy, nice chorus. I really like this one. 9/10

Thanks for reading!

Red
Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, 28 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
I am a pretty big Taylor Swift fan and everyone knows it! Her albums Fearless and Speak Now have been played countless times and I went to see her in concert and it was one of the best nights ever. When Red came out I even went to 2 separate hmv's in search of the deluxe version but had to settle for the normal version as they were sold out.

While there are great strong tracks on here that are as good if not better than her previous songs, there are others that grow tired after a few listens or really didn't click with me at all. Normally I find that I love or at least like every single track Taylor comes out with, but I was surprised to see that I felt a bit "meh" about the majority of this CD.

"State of Grace", the opener and released leading up to the release of the album, is definitely the strongest track. While there is no catchy hook which Taylor is usually known for, there are infectious drum beats and rock guitars and its structure and feel really reminds me of something Coldplay or U2 would come out with. "Red", "I Knew You Were Trouble", "Begin Again", were also released in the lead up; I do like them all but since I had already heard them a few times, I found myself not wanting to listen to them again. It's weird because I normally have her songs on repeat so that's saying something! I also found I got bored of "Stay Stay Stay" quite quickly, although a song very reminiscent of Fearless. I found that song edging on annoying rather than cute. It would be better suited as a bonus track on Fearless her 2nd album rather than a main one on her 4th!

The third song "Treacherous" is a pleaser. Definitely one of the best tracks, but still only as good as some of the weaker tracks on Speak Now! "All Too Well" is also a good one, I like that one a lot. From the first listen I could remember the jist of lyrics. I like the progression in the song, as Taylor tells it like a story. Old Taylor but with stronger lyrics. "22" is a fun one, which at first I played a lot. It's a nice silly song that everyone can sing to, its a lot like the lead single. "I Almost Do" though, I find boring and if songs could be a colour I would describe this a muddy grey for me. It's not my cup of tea.

To be honest, after "We Are Never Getting Back Together", the album just goes downhill for me. "The Last Time" had the potential to be good, and I love Snow Patrol so I had high expectations but I just found Taylors voice a bit whiney. I would have liked it much better if Taylor wasn't on the song. "Holy Ground" doesn't stand out and is one that you would just forget. "Sad Beautiful Tragic" is just bad. It sounds a lot "Last Kiss" on Speak Now, and while I do like and appreciate that song, this song is just a version that is 10x less good. "The Lucky One" is ok but not outstanding. Again one which I wouldn't really remember. I also love Ed Sheeran, so again I was excited for "Everything Has Changed", while that song is good, it is not as good as it could have been - I find the chorus quite annoying. I expected more from Ed Sheeran as well as Taylor. It is one of the better tracks on the album, though I can't really see how it got No.1 in America. I really like "Starlight" though, an uplifting tune which reminds me of "Long Live" which I LOVE, so I suppose the album does get better towards the end.

It sounds like I'm being quite mean and tough on Taylor, but I honestly don't feel like this album is up to the standard as the last few. While there are a few very good songs, its like Taylor made up for the lack of them by adding more mediocre tracks to even it out. Since literally all her albums have been so good though, I suppose I had abnormally high expectations. I don't know maybe some of it will grow on me... Who knows! I wouldn't say you wouldn't have totally wasted your money if you're a Taylor Swift fan and you bought this as you would be pleased with at least some of the songs. Just don't be surprised to discover that the standard has dropped.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2012 7:45 AM GMT

Get into Medical School - Write the perfect personal statement. Effective techniques & over 100 examples of real successful personal statements (UCAS Medicine)
by Olivier Picard

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful guide, 5 May 2011
Bought this book near the end of summer as I had no personal statement written as of then and I had to have a draft in for the start of September. I had tried many times to write one but I had no idea where to begin and what to put in it. This book had a 100 examples of personal statements to read and they help you to formulate new ideas and give you ways to put your words down on the page. It even takes you step by step through writing it which I thought was really useful. I got the first draft written pretty quickly with this book and I my personal statement turned out really well, it flowed nicely, had structure and was well written even though I wasn't confident with it's content. This even book helped me to say my work experience, extra curriculars and such in a way to make it sound more impressive which is good. Unfortunately I cannot comment on how successful I was with said personal statement because in the end I decided not to do medicine - sorry! I do think I would have done quite well with it if I had applied though and so would recommend this.

Speak Now
Speak Now

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Taylor Swift and this album! Amazing, 20 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Speak Now (Audio CD)
Taylor Swift is no doubt one of my favourite artists right now, she can write such catchy hooks and memorable lyrics which can get anyone singing. I feel like she has really improved from her last album. Some of the songs though, for example Dear John, Last Kiss, Never Grow Up, Long Live, I didn't like at first but they definitely need more than one listen to appreciate them! And once you do they become addictive :)

Mine - 10/10 Sounds like it came straight out of her old album. Very catchy, easy to sing to
Sparks Fly - 10/10 The chorus kind of reminds me of her song "The way I loved you", though this song is far superior in the song writing, her song writing in general has really improved.
Speak Now - 10/10 I think this song is very good. BUT I've noticed this trend in her songs were she sings what her love interest says at the end of the song - she does it in love story and mine as well.
Back to December - 10/10 one of the stand out tracks. Really well written, great hook and catchy chorus!
Dear John - 10/10 At first I didn't like it but now its one of my favourites! Some say its too long, but I disagree!!
Mean - 9/10 Very catchy and funky tune that gets you dancing! Though I think she should have written something else instead of "I'll be living in a big old city", I don't know why but I think that's a bit awkward.
The Story of Us - 10/10 This ones DEFINITLY a grower! I like it way more than at the start :)
Never Grow Up - 07/10 Explains my feelings perfectly, but gets boring after a while
Enchanted - 10/10 This is like my new favourite song of her!! Really amazing!
Better Than Revenge - 9/10 Different but it works! No one can say that taylor swift is doing the same stuff now, just see how diverse this album is! This song is quite clever I must say and great to sing with.
Innocent - 8/10 catchy, good tune. I really don't like the subject though (kanye west) and wish I didn't know, "32 and your still growing up now" sounds really patronizing. No offence to Taylor but I don't think that kanye really cares that much. Also It gets boring after a while
Haunted - 10/10 Another good track! Cant fault it at all, her song writing really shines here. To be honest it doesn't sound like it comes from a taylor swift album (bar the voice!) and that's not necessarily a bad thing :)
Last Kiss - 10/10 Nice and soothing, chilled out, though with a sad and longing tone
Long Live - 10/10 This song really ends the album on a high! I LOVE it!!!

Stand Out tracks: Mine, Sparks Fly, Speak Now, Back To December
My Favourites: Enchanted, Long Live, Haunted, Sparks Fly, Dear John

A definite must for Taylor Swift fans :)

Get into Medical School - 600 UKCAT Practice Questions. Includes Full Mock Exam, comprehensive tips, techniques and explanations.
by Olivier Picard

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that useful, 16 Sept. 2010
honestly, don't bother with this book - I wish i hadn't. It only really helped me with the maths section. The rest of the practice should be doing and re-doing the practice ones on the UKCAT website as that will mirror the level of difficulty that will actually come up. This book is way too easy in the verbal and desision sections and all the practice questions in the abstract section aren't even the same type as the ones that will come up! The maths section was useful in that it got you used to percentages but you can do that by re-doing the practice tests online - I wish I did. The only thing you can do with the ukcat test is go at a moderate pace at every question you can. Don't be put off if you can't answer every question and don't try to!

Page: 1 | 2