Profile for J. Bates > Reviews

Content by J. Bates

J. Bates (France)

Cosipet Greyhound Hunter, 24-inch/ 61 cm, Green
Cosipet Greyhound Hunter, 24-inch/ 61 cm, Green

5.0 out of 5 stars the fastenings are easy to do and my dog is now snug on ..., 5 April 2015
The coat fits well, the fastenings are easy to do and my dog is now snug on cold, wet walks. Perfection at a decent price.

Belleville Rendezvous [DVD]
Belleville Rendezvous [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michèle Caucheteux

5.0 out of 5 stars It has lost nothing of its enjoyment over the intervening years and I'm glad to own ..., 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Belleville Rendezvous [DVD] (DVD)
I sawand decided to revisit

I watched this year's ago and decided to re-visit the film recently. It has lost nothing of its enjoyment over the intervening years and I'm glad to own it in my collection and have it on hand for repeated viewing. It's a stark, but witty, look at competitive cycling and a grandmother's love for her only grandson. Would you think that the two things go together? No? Well, you'd be wrong! Watch and learn - oh, and enjoy.

Game of Thrones Season 3
Game of Thrones Season 3

5.0 out of 5 stars ... halfway through the third series and it does not disappoint. The acting is superb (and after watching various ..., 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Game of Thrones Season 3 (DVD)
I'm halfway through the third series and it does not disappoint. The acting is superb (and after watching various fantasy blockbusters, I should know!!) and the characters, although entirely fictitious, are all plausible and well-rounded; the action is breathtakingingly fast and the authorial overview is evident. I read the books with absolute pleasure but expected the TV series to be something of a disappointment - I was wrong.

Doll Bones
Doll Bones
by Holly Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A message for all of us, 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Doll Bones (Paperback)
A ghost story for young adults about obsession and repression surrounding a scary looking doll in a cabinet. The three youngsters set out on a quest to release the doll from limbo on earth. In doing so, they release themselves from their perceived parental tyranny and the confines of childhood and learn how friendship is unlimited when pushed. This book is intelligently written and wise in the ways of teenage angst. Immensely enjoyable.

Game of Thrones - Season 1 (DVD)
Game of Thrones - Season 1 (DVD)
Dvd ~ [Audio: ENGLISH + GERMAN. Subtitles (Optional): ENGLISH + GERMAN].
Offered by RAPIDisc

5.0 out of 5 stars Game of Thrones - German, 5 May 2014
The DVD was delivered on time. I had chosen it for the cheap price as I hadn't seen any of the series and didn't know if I'd like it - well, I really did and watched all of the first series in two days !!! The German language (I don't speak German) didn't inhibit my understanding of how to work the video - so - it was an excellent deal for me.

The White People and Other Weird Stories (Penguin Modern Classics)
The White People and Other Weird Stories (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Arthur Machen

3.0 out of 5 stars Gothic tales, 1 May 2013
I found the writing dense and very obscure. Normally I enjoy Victorian Gothic writing but this author is probably one of the worst examples of the genre that I have read. Having said that, the ideas behind the stories were innovative and peculiar to the time and mood of the Victorians, so - for Victorian scholars - it is a 'must have' acquisition.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2013 12:44 AM BST

Vax S2S-1 Hard Floor Pro Steam Cleaner, 1600 W
Vax S2S-1 Hard Floor Pro Steam Cleaner, 1600 W

5.0 out of 5 stars Vax S2S Floor Steam Mop, 25 Feb. 2013
I have now thrown away my mops and bucket due to the speed and efficiency of this cleaning tool. An hour's job reduced to 10 minutes - what's not good about that?

Vax Genuine Coral Cleaning Pads (Type 3)
Vax Genuine Coral Cleaning Pads (Type 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Vax S2 Series Coral Pads, 25 Feb. 2013
The coral pads enabled my Vax S2 cleaner to get right into corners and it seemed to pick up more of those annoying bits that get left after vacuuming. They fit very snugly to the cleaning head. Also, more importantly, they speed up the cleaning process - and I HATE cleaning - so, good!!

Love is the Answer
Love is the Answer
by Gerald G. Jampolsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful read........, 3 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Love is the Answer (Paperback)
Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue: Bk. 1 (Blue cover)

An extremely thought provoking book. Readers first need to suspend their disbelief at the idea that God can communicate via a question and answer formula - and this may be easier for non-believers than confirmed believers.

If readers can dispense with any pre-judgements, then the text provides an unusually sane and interesting way to explain our own status and purpose in this world. It also begins to address the question of 'Who is God?'

I found it both profoundly moving and infinitely sensible. I think the book is educational in the real sense of the word.