Profile for Marie > Reviews

Elite Stingray Filter 15
Offered by The Aquahut
Price: 13.79

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, difficult to open and costly to use!, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Elite Stingray Filter 15 (Misc.)
After purchasing this, I am still no closer to finding a decent fish tank pump!

It is huge! About 4 times bigger than any pump I have used before. It is made of cheap plastic and extremely difficult to open and close to replace the sponge and carbon filters. Plus I get carbon all over my hands each time I do this.

Okay it keeps the water clean, but only if you are willing to spend 30 a month on replacement filters! I cannot believe the amount they charge for a bit of carbon and sponge. And due to the design it is not possible to use your own carbon.

Don't waste your money.

Dr. Martens Jara Black 12767001 4 UK Regular
Dr. Martens Jara Black 12767001 4 UK Regular

4.0 out of 5 stars Take a bit of wearing in but worth it!, 18 May 2012
This review is from: Dr. Martens Jara (Apparel)
I had been looking for a good pair of biker boots for ages. Other biker boots I bought wore out after a couple of months of everyday wear, and I wanted something a bit more durable. I hadn't worn DMs since I was 13, and I didn't particularly like the style of them. However my boyfriend has a few pairs of DMs which have lasted years, so I decided to give these a go.

They are nice boots made out of a soft leather. They do take a bit of time to fasten, there are 2 stud buttons which can be a bit fiddly, and 3 straps which require buckling. Although you do get used to it, and I'm sure it takes me half the time it did to fasten them now :)

For the first week or 2 of wearing them, they really did rub my feet. I had to use gel plasters and blisters sprays daily. Now I have worn them in, they are amazingly comfortable and I can wear them all day without my feet getting sore.

I have owned these for around 10 months now and they are still in an excellent condition and show little signs of wear.

I have definitely been converted to the comfort and durability of this brand, and I have just purchased another pair of Doc Marten boots.

The Power Within
The Power Within

2.0 out of 5 stars Just buy the regular CD, the box set really isn't worth it!, 13 May 2012
This review is from: The Power Within (Audio CD)
The album is another great Dragonforce album.

However just buy the regular CD and don't waste money on the box set.

Its just a cheap metal tin (mine had a few dents in it too)containing:

a bottle opener/torch keyring (probably the best thing in there)
6 cardboard coasters
a flag made out of extremely cheap feeling material (and about half the size I was expecting it to be)
a code which simply allows you to download another copy of the album at a higher quality of 320kbps.

Not worth an extra 15+ pounds! I usually always buy collectors editions where possible but this one has really disappointed me.

Zumba 2 Fitness Wii - Bundle Pack with Belt accessory
Zumba 2 Fitness Wii - Bundle Pack with Belt accessory
Offered by RAREWAVES
Price: 19.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Great style of dancing, disappointing game., 1 April 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this as I had heard alot of good things about Zumba and wanted to try something different in my fitness routine.

Pros

-Burns alot of calories quickly
-Keeps track of how many calories you burn each day and your progress
-Fun

Cons

-Motion Detection seems too inaccurate and is too generous with how it rates movements. It will say 'Nice' and 'Zumba' simply for making the slightest movements. I was getting 87% technique in songs I did not know any of the steps for!
-Does not teach you the steps. The tutorial section only contains a small selection of the possible dance styles and steps. It is difficult to do a completely new, fast paced dance by learning the steps on the fly.
-A Zumba class is disappointing. It is simply a selection of 4 or more Zumba tracks in a row. No tutorials or warm ups/cool downs.
-It is difficult to get the Wii remote out of its rubber case and into the belt.
-Poor graphics

Karrimor Amazon Sandals Ladies Black/Pink 7 UK UK
Karrimor Amazon Sandals Ladies Black/Pink 7 UK UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and so comfy!, 9 Sep 2011
I bought these sandals to wear on a recent trip to Egypt where there was a lot of walking on uneven ground involved and I wanted to wear something a bit more practical then a flip flop.

These sandals are amazingly comfortable and well padded. These are probably one of the few pairs of shoes which didn't rub my feet at all, even for the first few times I wore them. They have a good grip on the sole and the floral design gives these very practical sandals a feminine touch.

Fujifilm FinePix F300EXR Digital Camera - Black (12MP, 15x Zoom 3.0 inch LCD Screen)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, 31 May 2011
Overall I am quite satisfied with this cameras.

The camera is a nice compact size and has a large HD screen which is great for viewing and reviewing photos.

The flash does pop up from where most people would put their fingers when taking a picture (top left of camera), but I quickly got used to it.

The 15x optical zoom is amazing, I have taken pictures from many meters away, even from above, and it looks as if I was standing over the object when I took the picture!

The 360 degree panorama mode is also impressive, very smooth, even with an unsteady hand, and gives amazing detail and colour.

For general picture taking, it gave very good results and someone has even commented on the good quality and colour detail in my holiday photographs.

The portrait mode takes very good facial photos and has totally eliminated the need to apply a Gaussian blur in Photoshop!

I found the natural light and flash mode (which takes 2 pictures in a row with and without flash) very helpful in situations where I am unsure whether or not to use a flash for the best results.

The flash always works instantly without any delays for charges etc.

The battery life is very good too, I have taken pictures all day and the battery bar hasn't even dropped slightly.

However the painted icons on the mode selection wheel have faded quite a bit which is disappointing. I can still select modes easily enough as the mode is displayed on the screen when I turn the wheel but it does make the camera look worn. The icons and text elsewhere on the camera is absolutely fine though.

I didn't notice much difference in the photo quality by using the EXR mode and this didn't seem to completely eliminate the need to change settings manually.

I also had problems taking pictures in places where there was a lot of differing lighting, for example a dense forest on a sunny day. The colours looked very washed out and pale and it took alot of adjustments to the settings to take good pictures in these environments. I found the best solution was to use the mode for beach scenes as this enhances colours.

Night pictures of scenery and any objects in the distance can be very noisy. However portrait photos taken at night or in the dark were of very good quality, and gave little or no red eye.

Its great value for the price and performs well at most tasks but it does have it limitations and flaws.

Skechers Women's Tone-ups Candy Bar Mule
Skechers Women's Tone-ups Candy Bar Mule

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..........very disappointing, 31 May 2011
I bought these to wear on holiday. I already own a pair of shape up trainers and are very happy with them.

The shoes are a nice design and are good quality. When I first wore them for a couple of hours, they were really comfortable and I was quite pleased with them.

However after 2 days of wearing them, they started to rub my feet. The strap caused my feet to bruise, blister then bleed within a few hours. This ruined my day as I had no alternative pairs of shoes with me and had no choice but to continue to wear these painful sandals to return to the hotel to change. My feet are still scabbed and sore a week later.

Don't be fooled, they seem comfy enough wearing for a hour or so but cause discomfort and blistering if worn for more than 3 hours. I expect to be able to walk around all day in a pair of sandals or shoe with no discomfort.

I have now spent money on a pair of shoes that I never want to wear again and I expected more from Skechers.

Therashoe Women's Olea Black Trainer Olea1 6 UK
Therashoe Women's Olea Black Trainer Olea1 6 UK

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for......, 16 Jan 2011
I purchased these as a cheaper alternative to Sketchers shape ups.

They seemed to work - I could feel my leg muscles working, even on short walks.

However the padding on the inside wore out after 10 weeks and I had to throw them away. In the past I have had pairs of Sketchers trainers which have last 18 months, being worn daily. If I were to purchase fitness trainers again, I would probably choose a different brand.