Profile for MikeF1 > Reviews

Content by MikeF1

MikeF1

Unabridged Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible (best navigation)
Unabridged Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible (best navigation)
Price: 1.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version - best bible?, 3 Jan 2011
I wanted a good bible for my new Kindle but wanted to make sure it had a good way to lookup references.

Being new to the Kindle I was not sure how much of a challenge this actually is. Having said this, I am convinced that this is perhaps the best on offer at the moment.

The content is excellent - Matthew Henry's commentary - unabridged and the KJV bible. Full navigation is only possible after the ebook is fully indexed (this happens automatically but seemed to take a couple of hours for me). Once the indexing is completed, you can move around the book by typing short-cuts such as mk.1.3 for Mark chapter 1 verse 3 for example. The left and right buttons on the 5 way switch also moves between chapters. Overall it is an OK interface.

Personally I prefer the New King James version, but the only one on offer in the UK does not have this 'Direct Verse Jump' interface which is a deal-breaker for me. I'm hoping that in time other bibles will be released with better interfaces - this still feels a little clunky but probably is the best out there.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2012 11:13 AM BST

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in almost every way, 3 Jan 2011
I got the WIFI only version of the Kindle for Christmas this year (2010). I've read and viewed many reviews, but you really have to have the device in your hands to truly experience the quality. Fantastically clear screen, perfect size and weight and I love the new dark look.

What an excellent device - it will be perfect for my needs and I can't wait to get back to those long airport delays so I can make the most of it!

I also got the proper Amazon case (without the light) which, in my opinion, keeps the whole thing very neat and slick looking.

I think Amazon has priced this device perfectly, I've seen the other more expensive devices on the high-street, but I don't think they compare favourably with the Kindle at this price point.

My one and only quibble (VERY minor) is that there is no official way to change the screen saver at the moment. I'm sure this will come with a future firmware upgrade though.