Profile for Shady Tree > Reviews

BlingMyThing ipc-mw-cl-cry Milky Way Case for Apple iPhone 5C Crystal
BlingMyThing ipc-mw-cl-cry Milky Way Case for Apple iPhone 5C Crystal
Price: 26.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and provides great protection, 30 Jun 2014
Fits iphone 5c perfectly; easy to fit and good quality sturdy plastic means good protection for the back and sides of the phone. We also fitted a tempered glass screen protector for all-round protection. The pretty Swarovski crystals are embedded into the case, not merely stuck on the back, so we haven't lost any yet. Pricey but worth it.

Papillio by Birkenstock Womens Gizeh Birko Flor Thong Sandals 206331 BF Vanilla Flower Orange 6 UK, 39 EU, Regular
Price: 49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price and really pretty, 30 Jun 2014
Fit as expected - i.e. buy one size smaller than your normal shoe size - so for my size 40 feet I ordered a size 39 which fit perfectly. Needed a few days to break in but are now wonderfully supportive and comfortable. A bargain at under 36 and the floral pattern is so pretty. These go with just about any outfit so I'm delighted.

Braun Oral-B 4000 PRO CrossAction 4-Mode Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Braun Oral-B 4000 PRO CrossAction 4-Mode Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Price: 55.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Slimmer, lighter, easier to use, 30 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ordered this to replace our Braun Oral B Triumph electric toothbrush which has a built in digital display. This Pro-Cross Action model is slimmer and lighter which makes it easier to hold and use as the older model was really quite heavy. Braun Oral B sensibly keep the toothbrush head attachments the same which means no unnecessary investment in different heads for each new model.

We all use the floss action heads which work well to clean in between teeth, but included in the box were one each of the 3d whitening head, another floss action head, and a softer head for very sensitive teeth. Despute having sensitive teeth myself I find the floss action head is fine in combination with "Sensitive Mode" selected on the toothbrush.

To select the different modes (normal cleaning, sensitive, or gum massage) there is no separate button on this model, you simply press the "on-off" button until you find the desired mode. I mistakenly thought that to turn the brush off, I had to continue to cycle through the modes, but you simply hold the power button down for two seconds to switch the brush off.

The only drawbacks I can find in comparison to my old brush are:

Lack of built in digital display to indicate brushing time and precise battery level (this model has a battery symbol which lights up when the charge is low, and the brush "stutters" every 30 seconds until 2 minutes has elapsed), and

The charger unit on this model is taller than the previous "induction ring" charger which the brush sat in, and it has a central charging prong. As our shaver socket is built in to our bathroom cabinet, the height of the brush on its new, taller charging unit makes it too tall for the shelf in the cabinet. However, if your shaver socket is on a windowsill or open shelf this wouldn't be a problem.

Despite those two minor drawbacks though, the additional gum massage mode and the slimmer lighter weight brush make this model easier to use and with even better cleaning power, both my dentist and my mouth will be happy.

Pink - The Little Book of Earrings - Earring storage solution
Pink - The Little Book of Earrings - Earring storage solution
Offered by flyDRAGONfly
Price: 21.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea...but with a major flaw, 10 July 2013
I couldn't find an earring storage box with holes for the earrings to go through (like I had when I was younger) so bought this for my daughter's earrings. It's very well made, lovely colour, and looks great but has a design flaw. The outer "covers" of the book aren't rigid enough, so when you close it and shut the popper fastening (which is way too stiff), you accidentally squash the earrings.

This means that if you have soft gold studs, they bend as they get squashed together. Unless you can straighten them again without snapping the stem, you have several pairs of unuseable earrings.

Daughter still uses this but won't close it and can't use it to take earrings on holiday etc.

I wouldn't buy another one unless the covers were made more rigid and the popper needed less force to close it.

Ballet Costumes Coloring Book (Dover Fashion Coloring Book)
Ballet Costumes Coloring Book (Dover Fashion Coloring Book)
by Brenda Sneathen Mattox
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Grown-up colouring!, 7 Feb 2013
I bought this for my ballet dancing daughter on the basis of how detailed the drawings are. She's now a teenager and still loves dipping into this book to do some colouring. There is a little bit of text about the ballets and she loves colouring in pictures of ballets that she's seen. I've been tempted to pinch it myself to do some colouring as the pictures are so detailed. Perfect for ballet loving older children, teens and adults.

BoxWave EverTouch Capacitive Stylus - (Newest Technology) Touchscreen iPad 3 Stylus with Ultra Durable FiberMesh Fabric Tip for Apple iPad 3, iPad 2, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S / 4, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, All Touch Screen Tablets (Lunar Blue)
Offered by BoxWave Corporation
Price: 7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great while it lasts, 30 Mar 2012
I was given one of these for Christmas as I had become an unwitting victim of "ipad finger". I'm a touch typist, so to suddenly only use my index finger for everything ipad related meant that I spent a couple of months with an aching and swollen index finger joint.

This stylus has stopped that though, and with the added bonus of (a) cheap price, (b) far fewer marks on my screen and (c) a nifty means of attaching it to the ipad via the headphone socket, it's been fantastic.

However, four months on and the rubbery tip is wearing out, meaning it's starting to tear at the edges (therefore creating drag on the screen) and it's also starting to leave smudges on the screen.

It still works fine for typing, but for scrolling and navigating around the screen it's starting to become unuseable.

So, if you accept that you may only get 4 months use for your 7 before needing to replace it, then it's fine. I will be buying another one but this time round I won't be surprised to only get a few months' use out of it.

Still better than suffering from ipad finger though. ;-)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2012 9:31 PM GMT

The Nativity [DVD]
The Nativity [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tatiana Maslany
Price: 6.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful reminder of the meaning of Christmas, 21 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Nativity [DVD] (DVD)
I don't actually care how factually correct this version of The Nativity is. For me, the casting, acting, scenery, music and story all combine to make a beautiful, uplifting and moving reminder of the true meaning of Christmas. In particular the birth of Jesus is portrayed so movingly yet realistically that it makes me cry every time I watch it. I fully expected the BBC to repeat this every Christmas, yet it seems not to be on this year, so thank goodness for the DVD.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2011 8:42 PM GMT

Nitty Gritty Head Lice Metal Comb
Nitty Gritty Head Lice Metal Comb
Offered by Your247Chemist
Price: 7.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 4 May 2011
Having escaped nit-free for most of her school life, my daughter went through a phase of constantly catching Headlice, and after strugggling with the ubiquitous plastic comb, I finally invested in a Nitty Gritty comb.

Thank goodness I did, because it - combined with Full Marks solution - worked brilliantly. My daughter has fine hair, but a lot of it, and as long as we combed through her hair first, and put heaps of conditioner on, I was able to use the Nitty Gritty comb without causing her any pain.

(Be warned; you will be shocked at the amount of nits this comb manages to remove!)

Once you've combed through thoroughly (I usually go round twice just to be sure), the comb is easy to rinse out and dry ready for next time. We also use it for a conditioner-only "nit check" every couple of weeks.

Highly recommended - I just wish I'd bought one sooner!

Nitty Gritty 150ml Aromatherapy Head Lice Kit
Nitty Gritty 150ml Aromatherapy Head Lice Kit
Price: 8.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the Nitty Gritty comb, 4 May 2011
My daughter's class went through a spate of getting headlice, and as we had already bought and tried the Nitty Gritty metal comb with great success, I thought I'd try this solution as an alternative to the stronger chemical solutions.

It smelled lovely, and made my daughter's hair very silky, so easy to comb through, but unfortunately it didn't kill the lice, so although we were removing live lice with the comb; we obviously couldn't get every single one of them. Because this solution didn't kill the lice it meant that my daughter still had them, so we reverted to using a chemical solution which did the trick.

I'm glad we tried it, because I'd always rather use natural solutions, but unfortunately it didn't work for us. It's back to the Nitty Gritty Comb + chemicals.

Breaking the Rules
Breaking the Rules
by Barbara Taylor Bradford
Price: 5.87

3.0 out of 5 stars The good, the bad, and the downright daft, 4 Aug 2010
This review is from: Breaking the Rules (Paperback)
I've been a longtime fan of Barbara Taylor-Bradford's books, but unlike most of my books, don't tend to read any of them more than once, with the exception of "Act of Will" and the "Woman of Substance" series, which I've re-read more times than I care to remember. Chick lit it may be, but as a page turner, "A Woman of Substance" is hard to beat. I had high hopes that "Breaking the rules" would be riveting and well written.

You'll know by now that the story is about a mysterious English girl, named "M", who has fled to New York to seek a career as a model and also to try to exorcise the demons of a traumatic sexual assault. M gets her big break as a model and - somewhat fortuitously - finds love with Larry Vaughan, a devastatingly handsome actor who M has had a crush on since she was ten. Seemingly, nothing can spoil their wonderful life together, until a terrorist attack destroys a catwalk at one of M's fashion shows.

In the second half of the book, M's identity is revealed, and the attacks by suspected terrorists continue in various locations belonging to M's family. If you've read the other reviews, you will know by now that M is part of the Harte family, and while it is wonderful to have a continuation of the Harte saga (particularly as there were several loose ends left at the end of "Just Rewards"), it soon becomes apparent that Barbara Taylor-Bradford needs to sack her continuity editor (since when did Jim Fairley and David Amory die in an air crash?), read back through her previous books, and perhaps spend less time in the States (an English Police Inspector is referred to as "Inspector Yardley" and then a minute later, as "Captain Yardley").

Sadly, the fact that this book is a continuation of the Harte saga couldn't override the rushed and repetitive writing (at one point I wondered if BTB had employed a ghost writer), the continuity errors, and the new characters, never mentioned before and yet supposedly known to the family since childhood). I finished it and it was a good, easy bedtime read, but the sloppy writing and inconsistencies mean that I probably won't read this one again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2010 5:08 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9