Profile for P. Spinazzola > Reviews

Content by P. Spinazzola

P. Spinazzola "I'm just an extraordinary geek!" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
ASUS NFC Express Accessory for Z87 Motherboard USB 3.0 Windows 8
ASUS NFC Express Accessory for Z87 Motherboard USB 3.0 Windows 8

3.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 9 Dec 2014
This product it's just about okay.
I bought it because I was looking for alternative ways to unlock my Windows8 computer.
The device works pretty fine, and the 2 USB 3.0 are pretty handy.
The NFC fob is quite robust and looks really nice...but if you lose it I don't think you can find a replacement easily with another original.

Anyway you don't need the original, you can buy lots of tags on amazon for less than 50p each and stick them wherever you want.

I bought the Samsung Tec Tags and I've placed one of them between my iPhone and the cover, unfortunately, even without the cover, the reader is not capable to detect the tag unless is placed into contact with the plastic surface, this is because the upper sensor area is curved and leaves a couple of millimetres between the antenna and the phone.
If you manage to find a good place where to stick them they could be quite helpful for example to run application using the asus software, what I did was to apply one to my camera, every time I touch the sensor with the tag on my camera, it runs Picasa and photoshop at the same time.

I suggest to download the Asus AI software for the NFC express 2 as the one for NFC express doesn't have full support for logging on Windows 8.1, this is essential if your live account is needed for the login.

WD Red 4TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM
WD Red 4TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM

5.0 out of 5 stars A drive for NASses, 9 Dec 2014
Nothing to say to these drives, they're made for NAS and not for everyday desktops, but I guess you can use them just fine to store documents as a second drive installed in your tower.
They're pretty quiet and so far no problem given, I'm using them in DS214play.

Amazon sent them boxed together in the usual amazon box filled with brown paper, the drives where individually boxed with a protective sort-of-cone shaped plastic support, that should manage to reduce damages inflicted by impacts, there are two labels one in Spanish and one with SIOC printed on it. I attached a picture anyway.

I decided to separately buy the WD express warranty extension to get a total of 4 years peace of mind and replacement within 24hrs.

I think I will get a WD Se in the future as their specs are higher for reliability and longevity.

I personally think that whether you buy Seagate and Western Digital, you can't really go wrong.

Raspberry Pi B+ Desktop (700MHz Processor, 512MB RAM, 4x USB Port)
Raspberry Pi B+ Desktop (700MHz Processor, 512MB RAM, 4x USB Port)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great micro computer!, 9 Dec 2014
The Raspberry Pi takes you to another world, where everything you know can be put together to learn more by doing it for real, I read quite few reviews from customers who didn't really understood what the RPi is intended for and I'm sorry for that.
At the beginning when I bought my first one and waited for 3 months to get one I was a little bit disappointed about the speed and everything but the I understood for real what it's meant to be used for.
Unfortunately I've started programming recently, but along with personal small projects, I use with huge satisfaction my RPi, for retro-gaming, HTPC, Host Web, Digital Signage and security camera...anytime I think about something I'd like to do with my RPis I discover that I can.
Thanks to the new power features and especially the extra 2 USBs the RPi is even better and you can now have a proper working station.

UniBond 1807937 Aero-360 Pure Moisture Absorber Device
UniBond 1807937 Aero-360 Pure Moisture Absorber Device

5.0 out of 5 stars Works without batteries and plugs, 4 Dec 2014
The device arrived quickly despite was out of stock at the time of the purchase (5 days ish), the device doesn't any power source, just load it with the tab inside and is ready to go...writhing few hours you will see some droplets inside.
The device neutralises odours as well and improves the quality of life by reducing the humidity in the air.
No power needed means that works 24/7 without making any noise and without costing anything more than the refills that are quite cheap and last long.
I'm also monitoring relative humidity percentages, after 2 days of use I've noticed between 5% and 10% less on the total

Bought a second one for another room

UniBond 1807921 Aero-360 Moisture Absorber Refills (2x Refill)
UniBond 1807921 Aero-360 Moisture Absorber Refills (2x Refill)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, cheap solution to moisture in rooms, 4 Dec 2014
They Work as expected, within the hour first droplets trapped and the disk visibly wet, 24 hrs later some blue liquid on the bottom compartment of the device and humidity below 60%, I don't know how but this tabs neutralises odours too, I'm sincerely very happy so far.
Remind not to touch the refills with your bare hands as they can irritate your skin.
I'm so happy with this solution that I've bought a second kit.

Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS
Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS

5.0 out of 5 stars Stuffed with wonder, 4 Dec 2014
Sincerely I'm amazed about what this little boy can do...but I had to send it back.
More than a NAS this is a proper server, you can run a huge set of apps who can help you do lots of things impossible to do without a dedicated PC acting like a server and even in that case I can't see things work properly.
The web interface is amazing, and is easy to set up to perfection, the read/write speed on a Giga-Lan are impressive for such a entry level product, unfortunately despite all the incredible specs, it doesn't support the Plex Media Server, one of the main reason I bought it for and the DLNA didn't work as I supposed, for this reason I'm sending it back to Amazon and get the bigger "Play" brother.
This product is able to make both beginners and experts enthusiasts, and if it wasn't for the Multimedia side I was going to keep it, if you're not interested in the multimedia side well bought it with no reserves, I think this is a more-than-five stars product, absolutely well done!

Real Techniques Starter Kit
Real Techniques Starter Kit
Offered by Lucky Nail Polish

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional results with small price, 4 Dec 2014
I bought this kit for my GF as she is very happy with the "Core Collection", they feel very nice to the touch, she's happy with the professional results she gets, the carry case becomes a stand to easily have access and reposition them to keep the area clean and tidy.

GalaRing NFC Smart Ring - Unlocks Devices, Stores Personal Card Information, High Quality Waterproof/Dust Proof Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a simple ring, 4 Dec 2014
It took a while to arrive as it has been shipped from Hong Kong, it looks great and works perfectly, I think the maker should make them in different sizes and also bigger than the XL diameter, it'll be a perfect gift for my dad and I will buy another one for me soon.
The finish is good and there's no imperfection, looks like cans survive to normal everyday use.
It took 2 weeks to come, if you want for Christmas...hurry up!.

OXO Good Grips Compact Dustpan & Brush Set
OXO Good Grips Compact Dustpan & Brush Set
Offered by MightyHousewares

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential in kitchen, 4 Dec 2014
I bought this originally because I have a small kitchen and didn't want to have a full size broom sitting around, but know I'm using it to clean my work top from crumbs when cooking, the product is well designed in my opinion and feels solid too.

Spigen LCD Film Crystal CR for iPhone 6 plus (5.5") SGP10873
Spigen LCD Film Crystal CR for iPhone 6 plus (5.5") SGP10873
Offered by Spigen UK Store

5.0 out of 5 stars The best when it comes to protect your screen's device, 4 Dec 2014
As usual they're perfec, the quality of the film is superb and fits exactly the whole phone, they don't come away unless you lift them.
Easy to install them, and by following the instruction you won't have air bubbles trapped in between, if dust gets stuck simply use the stickers inside he package or if you run out of them use the easy to remove scotch tape.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16