ARRAY(0xb0598cd0)

Profile for Jennifer Malsingh > Reviews

Content by Jennifer Malsingh

Jennifer Malsingh (Bristol, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
The Ayurvedic Cookbook: A Personalized Guide to Good Nutrition and Health
The Ayurvedic Cookbook: A Personalized Guide to Good Nutrition and Health
by Amadea Morningstar
Price: 10.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic but good, 1 April 2010
This book is a very basic introduction to Ayurvedic cooking, with recipes that will appeal to slightly adventurous but generally western palates. If you like healthy vegetarian food, you'll probably enjoy cooking from this book.

Every recipe has information about its effect on the doshas, and there are suggestions for tailoring the recipes to various bodily constitutions. However, there is actually very little information on Ayurveda in this book. It's a good starting ground, and certainly will get you thinking about Ayurveda when you cook, but it will be necessary to read other books to really begin to understand Ayurvedic medicine.

Cabin Fever [DVD] [2003]
Cabin Fever [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Jordan Ladd
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 2.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Silly silly silly...but sort of fun, 1 April 2010
This review is from: Cabin Fever [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This was never going to be the best film ever, but it is quite entertaining. The basic plot is that a bunch of beautiful youngsters are staying in a cabin the woods, when they get start to become infected by some weird disease that eats their flesh. They begin to bicker and become rather scared of each other and the horrible infection that afflicts them. It's actually quite a different idea for a horror film, and it certainly allows the film to get away from some of the usual horror film cliches. The ending is also pretty cool, though it's not a very happy one!

Jeepers Creepers [DVD]
Jeepers Creepers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gina Philips
Price: 3.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly cheesy but fun, 1 April 2010
This review is from: Jeepers Creepers [DVD] (DVD)
For some reason this is one of my favourite scary movies. It's not particularly clever or even that scary, but it's entertaining and fun anyway. The first part of the film, when the two teenagers are run off the road by the "guy" in the truck is really quite scary, and I defy you to not be creeped out as they watch the driver drop an "interesting" looking package down a shaft. Once the monster is revealed, the film finds it hard to live up to its promise, but it's still pretty good stuff. A good solid choice for a sleepover film.

Roadkill (aka Joy Ride) [DVD] [2002]
Roadkill (aka Joy Ride) [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Steve Zahn
Price: 5.33

4.0 out of 5 stars A good scary movie...lots of thrills but not too many kills, 1 April 2010
This is one of my favourite scary movies for a night with my mates, because it's quite scary and creepy without too much blood and guts. Most of the movie is basically the three friends running away from Rusty Nail, and it relys a lot on tension and suspense for thrills, rather than grossing you out with lots of killing. I first watched it when I was quite young, and let me tell you that me and my friends found it really scary! Watching it now, it doesn't scare me so much, but it's still pretty good.

I think the ending to the actual film is really good, and I was disappointed by the alternative endings on the DVD. You can see why they chose the one they did!

A Knight's Tale [DVD] [2006]
A Knight's Tale [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Heath Ledger
Price: 3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Girls Night Movie, 1 April 2010
This review is from: A Knight's Tale [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I went to see this movie at the cinema one afternoon with my friend, fully expecting to be disappointed. We had decided a while in advance to go to the cinema, but on the day of the event there were only tickets for this film left. I read the synopsis, noticed it was essentially a romantic comedy and had already decided I wouldn't like it. I was wrong.

Heath Ledger's effortless charm is a real winner in this film. The middle-ages-rock thing is a little cheesy, but it actually sort of works, and there are many laugh out loud moments in the film. The romance is touching but not too sickly. Also, the ladies dresses are stunning, and the long hair is gorgeous! When we watched it at home on DVD, my Dad was especially taken by Jocelyn's maidservant...

This is a perfect film for a girly night in because it's a great comfort-movie (think comfort-food, but in movie form). However, there is enough blokey comedy for the guys to enjoy it too.

Chicago [DVD]
Chicago [DVD]
Dvd ~ Renee Zellweger
Offered by 247dvd
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Sassy, sexy and sizzling hot!, 1 April 2010
This review is from: Chicago [DVD] (DVD)
I have seen Chicago at the theater, but I first saw it on TV as this film. What can I say, I was hooked from the start. Renee Zellweger is fantastic as bitchy, manipulative Roxie, and Catherine Zeta Jones is sizzling hot as Velma. The songs are catchy, the dancing is racy and fast paced and it all comes together perfectly. I especially liked Queen Latifah's turn as Matron "Mama" Morton.

If I had one criticism it would be that Renee Zellweger seems to be frighteningly thin in this, but it sort of goes with her character so I guess it I'll let it slide.

Dreamgirls [1 Disc Edition] [DVD]
Dreamgirls [1 Disc Edition] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jamie Foxx
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising, but somehow lacking, 1 April 2010
The idea behind Dreamgirls seems so great, and the stars in it are big talents. However, it never really comes together. Beyonce's vocal talents are completely wasted, in my opinion, and she seems a far cry from her usual gobsmacking big voice. Jennifer Hudson is certainly impressive vocal-wise, but the story doesn't really give her much time to come into her own. Jamie Foxx plays a fair enough villianous record exec, but it's fairly cliched.

The real star of this is Eddie Murphy. Man that guy has talent! Sure he's made some utter rubbish, but he is brilliant in this. His voice, his persona, it's all spot on. In fact, you should watch Dreamgirls just to see his performance, but don't expect fireworks from any of the rest of it.

Worrisome Heart
Worrisome Heart
Price: 5.72

3.0 out of 5 stars Classy, soulful music, but nothing too special, 1 April 2010
This review is from: Worrisome Heart (Audio CD)
Melody Gardot has a beautiful soulful voice, and the music is well put together and enjoyable. However, it never really goes further than that. It's nice background music for a lazy Sunday afternoon or a dinner party, but it's not going to set anyone's heart on fire, worrisome or not.

Holy Cow!: An Indian Adventure
Holy Cow!: An Indian Adventure
by Sarah Macdonald
Price: 6.79

1.0 out of 5 stars A shallow book and an ignorant author, 1 April 2010
I found the author this book to be ignorant and irritating. All she seems to talk about is how difficult and weird she finds India, drawing up as many cliches as she can about cows and dirt and crazy driving and "strange" religious stuff. She doesn't seem to learn anything in all the time she spends in India, and I think she comes across as close minded and unable to accept cultures other than her own.

I was really disappointed because a couple of people I quite respect told me the book was good.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2011 11:44 PM GMT

Ganesh Mantra
Ganesh Mantra
Price: 11.22

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely collection of Ganesh mantras, 1 April 2010
This review is from: Ganesh Mantra (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant collection of Ganesh mantras. They are uplifting, devotional and peaceful. My particular favourite is Jai Ganesh Jai Ganesh. It's really catchy, and I find myself singing it under my breath from time to time!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16