Profile for northeastnostromo > Reviews

northeastnostromo

Page: 1 | 2
Denis Law: King and Country
Denis Law: King and Country

1.0 out of 5 stars ... quarter of the way through that I realised how bad this book was, 23 Mar. 2015
It wasn't till I was a quarter of the way through that I realised how bad this book was, I only kept going because I loved 'the King'. The amount of padding is quite ridiculous - to the extent that we get detailed accounts of matches that Law didn't even play in. Just read something else.

Bug Jack Barron
Bug Jack Barron
by Norman Spinrad

5.0 out of 5 stars Whatever happened to Norman Spinrad, 4 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Bug Jack Barron (Paperback)
For a brief time you could believe Spinrad was going to be up there with Zelazny & Silverberg, sadly he couldn't maintain the standard - but this is a great book which hardly seems like SF at all now.
Check out 'The Men in the Jungle' and the short story collection 'Last hurrah of the Golden Horde'

Hitchcock: A Definitive Study of Alfred Hitchcock
Hitchcock: A Definitive Study of Alfred Hitchcock
by Francois Truffaut

4.0 out of 5 stars just when you thought you knew everything about Hitchcock, 15 Mar. 2013
This is very good indeed,Truffaut knows his stuff,and though he clearly loves Hitchcock and his films he retains sufficient detachment to enlighten both himself and us.
By the way ' Adventures in the Screen Trade ' is one of the best movie books ever. Goldman's not keen on Hitchcock/Truffaut so what,we can't all like everything.

The House of Silk: The Bestselling Sherlock Holmes Novel (Sherlock Holmes Novel 1)
by Anthony Horowitz

5.0 out of 5 stars House of wonders, 1 Feb. 2013
There have been many books of this sort over the years - the quality varing wildly.They tend to take Holmes in a new direction,'Exit Sherlock Holmes' is very good.
This to my mind is something else - as good a recreation as is possible,the prologue and 1st chapter simply pitch perfect. As a true fan I felt myself transported to a place I hadn't visited for many years.
If you're not already aquainted with Sherlock then don't start here,otherwise enjoy.

The Time Machine (Penguin Classics)
The Time Machine (Penguin Classics)
by H.G. Wells

5.0 out of 5 stars The first and one of the best., 28 Jan. 2013
I started off with short stories all those years ago SF didn't seem that interesting.My mother had a copy of the 'time machine' its length wasn't too intimidating so a gave it a go.Who knows what would have happened if it had been rubbish, rather than the brilliant page turner that it actually is.
There is a brief section near the end unrelated to the main story,on a beach,quite incredible,I've never looked back.

Orbus (Spatterjay 3)
Orbus (Spatterjay 3)
by Neal Asher

5.0 out of 5 stars Space Opera doesn't get any better than this, 31 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Orbus (Spatterjay 3) (Paperback)
Having read the brillant 'Ian Cormac' series I was stangely reluctant to tackle the
Spatterjay books - stupid I know as they are excellent, with 'Orbus' being the best of all .There have been few books in the last 30 years which have awakened in me that 'page turning' mode so prevalent in my youth - this is one of them.

Nine Princes In Amber
Nine Princes In Amber
by Roger Zelazny

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only read one fantasy series,make it this one., 6 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Nine Princes In Amber (Paperback)
I don't really like fantasy as a genre though it's hard to avoid nowadays as the shelves are stacked with it.Rewind to the 70's and its a rare bird,I probably wouldn't have picked up 'nine princes' if it had been by anyone else.
The beginning could have come straight out of a hollywood noir movie with the amnesiac protagonist waking in hospital - he soon comes to realise his backstory is a little complicated. An early scene where the discovery of a pack of 'cards' jogs his memory of his siblings is simply unputdownable.
This was also the the first book I read where the end wasn't the end so it was a bit of a shock,but I just had to know what happened next - as will you.

Isle of the Dead
Isle of the Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars don't be put off by the book cover!, 24 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Isle of the Dead (Paperback)
Zelazny has(had?) more novels that I love than any other author - this is a particular favorite,right up there with 'Lord of Light' and 'This Immortal'.It was with some trepidation that I picked it up to reread it after a 30 year gap,somethings are best left in the past,but no it was just as brilliant as I remembered.

This Immortal
This Immortal

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets, 18 Oct. 2012
This review is from: This Immortal (Paperback)
I've seen criticisms that there is 'too much' in this novel - if only most of the modern day reads at triple the length had half the content of this marvelous debut then the SF world would be a much better place.
Others have described the plot but it's not easy to portray Zelazny's style,he has a pace that few can match yet the stories are never rushed.
If you like this then you have a treat in store as there are many more waiting for you.The Great Book of Amber: The Complete Amber Chronicles, 1-10 (Chronicles of Amber)Lord Of Light (S.F. MASTERWORKS)Creatures of Light and DarknessIsle of the Deadetc

A Maze of Death (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
A Maze of Death (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Philip K. Dick

1.0 out of 5 stars This review is a masterwork, 17 Oct. 2012
We started off with genuine masterworks,progressed to cult novels that probably aren't,and have now reached a point where it's an excuse to reprint any old rubbish.
Funnily enough,for most of its length this is actually one of Dick's better novels,but then he has his usual problem of how to end it - and this time he really doesn't have any idea at all, so...

We have the 'Emperers new clothes' in all its glory in the other comments,a 5 star reviewer says the ending is possibly cliched but Dick did it first,incredible.Even the greatest authors have bad books but it seems some fans will excuse anything.

Page: 1 | 2