Profile for Jack > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Beyond the Rage
Beyond the Rage
by Michael J. Malone

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant example of misdirection. Kept me guessing till the end., 5 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Beyond the Rage (Paperback)
My first Malone Novel & a cracking read. Violent, dark but with real gems of humour. Kenny o'neil is a tough character whose past comes back to put him in danger. He is a character you root for and is constantly torn between his emotions. Kenny is the kind of tough guy who won't use a gun, rather dish out justice with his fists. But what I enjoyed the most was Malone's ability to completely send the reader off the real track. A real case of "misdirection" with plenty of twists, to the point where I could never ascertain who was on his side and who wasn't. There is a twisted tryst with his girlfriend / escort, dark family secrets about his past (which I thought were brilliantly handled & a real twist!) and a brutal finale.

This is a violent crime novel. It brings the darkness of Glasgow whilst tempering it with Kennys dry humour.
Great read. Great story arc.

Poppet: Jack Caffery series 6
Poppet: Jack Caffery series 6
by Mo Hayder

5.0 out of 5 stars Guaranteed class., 3 Nov. 2013
This 6th Jack caffrey novel takes Hayder back to her best. I read this in 2 days and quite frankly her plotting is second to none. What Hayder is so good at is effortlessly making her prose carry the story forward at break neck speed whilst documenting every character flaw or strength with spell binding class. She is a sublime writer and easily the best in the uk at the moment. When I finished reading the novel I thought, that was quite a simple storyline, but she adds this menace and darkness to it that only she can. The pluses of this novel were that the "walking man" was thankfully absent. Let's hope she has retired him ( he was so irritating in her last few novels). Flea Marley returns but is a "bit part" leaving Caffrey ( superb) to take centre stage. Also a positive was there is VERY little police procedure ( yawn). This is pure story. She does over-write some chapters ans her story plotting is so seductive that you do end up speed reading the detail... I feel she comes off slightly worse off in the detail vs plot saga but there can be no taking away that this is a great novel. As a prolific crime reader, I am blown away by just how easily she puts everyone else in her shadow. Brilliant book Mo.

Paul Chowdhry - What's Happening White People! [DVD] [2012]
Paul Chowdhry - What's Happening White People! [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Paul Chowdhry
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny if ageing material., 23 Dec. 2012
Paul Chowdhury is funny. His delivery is excellent and his crowd interaction second to none. Some fabulous sketches and the show was hugely enjoyable.
But his material is old now... Almost everything on this DVD is a repitition of the stuff he has been doing for years. I saw him on this tour and kept thinking you need some new material. If you have never seen his stuff before this is worth a buy. If you have...there is little new stuff which we all keep waiting for!
Also...his comedy is not aimed at kids, I get that. And I'm not fussed about swearing etc but he over uses the swearing sometimes making it cringe worthy. The encore at the end is awful as he just reels off expletive after expletive in punjabi. Hardly genius comedy. I watch a lot of comedy. I think Paul chowdhury has the potential to be huge but he needs new material... And to utilise the expletives when needed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2013 2:13 PM GMT

Hurting Distance: Culver Valley Crime Book 2
Hurting Distance: Culver Valley Crime Book 2
by Sophie Hannah

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing thriller fantastically well written, 2 Sept. 2012
This is a high calibre thriller. Very well plotted and written. It involves disturbing subject matter involving rape but i felt the author handled the macabre content well and left the readers imagination for the real awful stuff unlike say, someone like Mo Hayder who might have gone one step further. The main character Naomi is an irritating victim who i never warmed to in spite of her traumatic ordeals and i found being apathetic to her somewhat of a chore. But I think this is because she is intended to be this way and it is credit to the author for writing her character so well.
I gave this review 4 stars in stead of 5 as none of the characters are easy to warm to. They are somewhat robotic and all kind of merge into one persona in parts. The storyline is pacy and VERY well thought out and i did lose my weekend to it which is always a good sign of a good read but the characters are hard work.
Its my first Sophie Hannah novel and i will definately be reading more. She is less brutal than Mo Hayder but darker than Gerritsen.

The Birthing House
The Birthing House
by Christopher Ransom

1.0 out of 5 stars More like the snooze house... Just an awful read., 26 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Birthing House (Paperback)
I got suckered into buying this because of the spooky cover & intriguing blurb. I tried reading this a few months ago and gave up after the first 3 chapters. I thought it might have been my own impatience so tried it again this week. After 76 pages of tripe I give up. It is VERY POORLY WRITTEN. Amongst a simple sentence the writer suddenly injects a complex word which throws the narrative off and looks like an amateur trying too hard to impress. E.g. Page 69 " an act of onanism". It was these 2 pages 69&70 that killed it off for me ( the book had been dying for some time)... It describes the main character trying to masturbate whilst thinking of random thoughts and eventually climaxing when thinking of a spooky picture of his wife that he has found in the house. He then passes out in the toilet. Scary? Nope. Stupid? Yes. There is no drama in the story, the characters are weak and uninteresting. The man characters Conrad and Jo are miserable people who you can feel no apathy for. There is the odd mention of something sinister inside this house, but it's so forced and amateurish.
Similarities with Stephen King are laughable. Christopher Ransom can write prose fairly decently but his story telling is woeful. Give this a miss. It is neither scary nor interesting. Never judge a book by its cover!

Before I Go To Sleep (Unabridged)
Before I Go To Sleep (Unabridged)
Offered by Audible Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW. A stunning debut., 22 July 2011
When Tess Gerritsen writes the blurb on the front cover that "quite simply this is the best debut novel I've ever read" you think it must be a cracker. You hope that she didn't just say that as a literary "favour". She didn't. She is right. This is the best debut novel I've ever read. I read a heck of a lot and this is easily in my top five of all time.
I met the author at a book signing and decided to buy the book on the back of his sales pitch.
The main character Christine has severe amnesia after an accident. She wakes up every morning thinking she is 27 years old when in fact she is 47 and has no memory of the last 20 years. Every morning she wakes up next to her husband, Ben, who is a stranger to her and has to begin a monotonous and frightening routine of understanding her condition. The relationship between Ben and Christine is a repetitive, compelling dynamic and you ask yourself quickly, would I be able to cope with this if my partner suffered this condition?
Christine begins working with a new consultant who insists she make a journal of her day. This way she can log events and see if it helps with her memory. Each morning she wakes up and reads the journal to get some continuity to her life. At the end of the first chapter, Christine wakes up one morning as she does every other morning unaware of where she is or what her life has become. She opens her diary and sees three words..."don't trust Ben. "

It's a fabulous thriller. I read it literally in one day, two sittings. It manages to be a powerful psychological thriller without any gratuitous sex and very little swearing. It is edgy, uncomfortable in parts and what is brilliant about the story telling is that we as readers join Christine in trying to unravel her life. There are twists, shocks, and you never know who to believe or what is going on. Towards the end there are a few liberties taken in terms of plot but it's nothing Hollywoodesque.

The book reminded me a little of "The Collector" by John Fowles a book which was written in the 70's. Very similar in terms of uncomfortable psychological thriller.

SJ Watson is a new star in the literary world. I read that Ridley Scott has snapped up the movie rights for this film and I can see why.

Stellar debut. Fantastic plot with a sledge hammer ending.
Mr Watson I am a fan.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2012 1:19 PM BST

The Business Of Dying: (Dennis Milne 1)
The Business Of Dying: (Dennis Milne 1)
by Simon Kernick
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A touch Hollywood action but cracking thriller, 27 Mar. 2011
For a debut book, Simon kernick has produced a fabulous thriller. The central character DS Milne is written superbly. He exudes confidence, tries to justify his corruptions and has enough flaws in his personality to make him an absorbing read. Whilst reading this book I was constantly in a tussle to decide whether DS Milne's actions can be justified...perhaps not but his vigilante behaviour does make you question whether he has cause for his actions.
The book is very pacy. Loved it. No messing about with unnecessary padding. Kernick rockets you through the story. His chapters are snappy and there is enough twisting of the storyline to keep you guessing.
I have been looking for a new crime author since exhausting hayder, gerritsen and Coben. Kernick is right up there and I will now purchase all his books as I am certain he wont fail to deliver a tense thriller. Its not quite as good as relentless and this is because there are quite a few moments of Hollywood lunacy and at times it does become a bit silly with gun fights and beat em ups. Still, by that time you are so hooked on the story you can forgives these indulgences.

The Surrogate (Brennan and Esposito)
The Surrogate (Brennan and Esposito)
by Tania Carver

1.0 out of 5 stars Straight to DVD...., 16 Mar. 2011
If we compare this book to a film...then it's a straight to DVD movie bypassing the cinema...probably made for channel five...late at night when people have the weakest of attention spans.

The plot is promising...but the delivery is woeful. It's the writing...allow me to quote...
"he sighed deep"
Even I know it's "deeply"
Another one..."she paused,thought."
The writing is stop/start all the way through. There is cliche after cliche and very forced character structure and dialogue.

Ihad to speed read most of it as the writing became very irksome. In the hands of mo hayder this storyline would have produced a world class read. The storyline / plot / killer are all quite clever but the delivery is just so awful you wonder how so many mistakes didn't get noticed...(another thing that struck me was the "CIO"... I am sure it's "sio" in every other crime novel?!)

As a consumer I should be entitled to my money back when the product is poorly made. A poor storyline I can stomach...blatant mistakes I cannot (grammar and otherwise)

Relentless
Relentless
by Simon Kernick
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy, testosterone fuelled fun!, 16 July 2010
This review is from: Relentless (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this book months ago. Read the first 5 chapeters quickly and then got really irritated with the following 2 chapters cos i got "lost".

But i picked it up again recently cos i was intrigued with the plot.
Started it again...finished it 8 hours later. Great read. Other reviews are right in that the "characterisaton" isnt perfect but i get really irriated by those reviewers. If you want sublime prose and complex 3D characters go read something else and leave Kernick alone.
This book is seriously pacy - Dan Brown-esque. Great snappy chapters. Crazy twists and turns. In fact the plot is so fast paced i was shattered reading it! The menace from the character Lench is really vivid and you cannot help but sympathise with the main character Mr Meron.
Kernick - i am a new fan. Great plotting, awesome twists and you have certainly got my attention! There are some hollywood moments in this book but when the plotting is this good, who really cares about that?
!

The Killing Place: Rizzoli & Isles series 8
The Killing Place: Rizzoli & Isles series 8
by Tess Gerritsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Psychological terror!, 13 July 2010
Awesome. Grips you so hard, you'll have strangle marks on your throat. Now for the review...

The first third is the best Gerritsen has written in my opinion (and ive read all her books.) It is edgy, nerve racking and one chapter in particular is so vividly frightening that I had to put the book down to remind myself it was fiction. The way she describes the feeling of being abandoned in a foreign, isolated place is truly jaw dropping.
The second third suffers a little but only because the first third was so pacy and edgy. The plot becomes much more action based and loses some a lot of its uncomfortable nature. There are chases, gun shot, death, destruction and it gets a little Hollywood-esque.

But the finale has a twist to rival a certain Dan Brown. You never see it coming and I was gob smacked and marvelling at her plotting.
She is the best crime fiction writer out there. Her plots are extremely well thought out and the pace of her books sets the bar so high, few can match her. I read this in two sittings and when you've finished, you cant help but salute her genius.
Leaves every other crime writer in her shadow - The Killing Place is a sensational read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4