Profile for PT > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Voices of the Waffen SS
Voices of the Waffen SS
by Gerry Villani

5.0 out of 5 stars he has gone to great lengths to get interviews with the last surviving veterans ..., 4 Dec. 2015
Mr Villani is no apologist and ignore reviews that suggest this is Neo-Nazi propaganda, it is not. I have followed the path the author has taken in the production of this book, he has gone to great lengths to get interviews with the last surviving veterans of this organisation, it pulls no punches and makes no attempt to hide the fact that the Waffen SS was involved in crimes throughout World War 2, he even has the story of a veteran of the hated Dirlewanger Unit which was reviled even in some Nazi circles. What he has done is presented their stories as told to him by a shrinking group of men who are at best in their late 80's or older. This is an attempt to hear the story of one of World War 2's most controversial subjects from the point of view of the man of the trenches and for that Gerry Villani must be applauded. But that aside it is an interesting read and contains stories of veterans from units that are rarely seen in print.

Combat History of the 654th Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung
Combat History of the 654th Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung
by Karlheinz Munch

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 4 Sept. 2013
I waited to get this a long time. The price tag is painful but not for one minute have regretted it. The detail on the unit is absolutely fantastic. The number and the quality of the pictures alone is worth the price. In this large format the only problem is holding it can make your arms ache!! If you are interested in unit history's or the use and operation of the Ferdinand/Elefant and the Jagdpanther try somehow to find the money to buy this book.

Panzer Gunner: From My Native Canada to the German Ostfront and Back. In Action with 25th Panzer Regiment, 7th Panzer Division 1944-45
by Bruno Friesen

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, a lot., 21 Mar. 2013
I must admit I bought the kindle version because it was cheap and then did not read it for months as the reviews (which I didn't read before buying) were bad. When I finally got down to reading it I was pleasantly suprised. It does have a bizarre rambling style which jumps about a bit, leaves unanswered questions and gaps. But to me it had the feeling I was talking to someone who was remembering something from long ago and it's conversational style suited me. Admittedly the need to translate the Tiger Fibel is a bit bizarre but I skipped through that. The section on how gunners sited their weapons and the calculations were a bit dull, a bit baffling but interesting nonetheless. The battles are actually a small part ot the work and whilst not greatly detailed I found them interesting. But actually the pre and post-war bits were great and the detail of non-combat life in the WWII Panzerwaffe were fascinating (including pretty graphic details of brothel crawling in Italy). If your after Sven Hassel or SS fan-boy battles it's not here but I found the whole package to be entertaining and enlightening. I have to add the one star review that says it seemed like an old man justifying his part in the violence to be baffling and to me there seemed to no attempt to nullify or justify and far more an attempt to tell the tale.

Wretched and Divine: The Story Of The Wild Ones
Wretched and Divine: The Story Of The Wild Ones
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Comments from my Daughter, 20 Jan. 2013
Again not a totally personal review (although BVB do appeal on a purely metalish level to me) my now 15 yr old Daughter is highly pleased with this and is listening to it all the time. If you are a Black Veil Brides fan (or a loved one is) you can't go far wrong with this.

Sitting Ducks (Kindle Single)
Sitting Ducks (Kindle Single)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent short work, 20 Jan. 2013
I have always been interested in Operation Greif and other than Skorzeny's self serving stuff there is little out there. This does add to the pool of info and although it seems to lean on Meuse First and Then Antwerp(see my other reviews) there was a fair bit I had not come across before. Bearing in mind the minimal cost it represents excellent value and is also a good introduction to the subject.

Tell Them in Sparta
Tell Them in Sparta
by Roderick Milton
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars SPARTANS !!!!, 25 Oct. 2012
I paid 6d the first time I bought this in the early 70's, I just paid £25 and I'm still happy. This is not a history text it is a novel. I cannot quote on it's authenticity (can anyone nearly 2,500 yrs later) but it follows events as I have heard elsewhere. This is not just about Thermopylae , the last stand is over in 45 pages (but unlike "300" 300 [2007] [DVD] it does give credit to other Greeks) but the whole campaign. It's a rollicking good read and gives what I feel an accurate view of ancient battles both land and naval.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2013 12:53 PM BST

Fire Brigades: The Panzer Divisions 1943-1945
Fire Brigades: The Panzer Divisions 1943-1945
by Kamen Nevenkin

5.0 out of 5 stars The must have reference for the Panzerwaffe in the second half of the war., 21 Sept. 2012
The minute I picked this up I knew I was in for a treat. The sheer weight is impressive, 922 pages plus appendixes detailing all 45 Panzer Divisions ( Wehrmacht and SS).

The first 70 odd pages give a brief history of the Panzer force, it's employment and organistion (including details on Panther and Panzer-Jaeger Abteilung). There is also a section on Guderian and his role as Inspector General of Armoured troops. The section on organisation is fascinating because it details every type of unit and I mean every! If like me you are interested that a Schlachterei-Kompanie (who's purpose was to slaughter cattle for food) was a company consisting of an HQ and one platoon. Then this is the book for you. Out of interest this had 2 groups of butchers snd one of sausage makers and on 1/6/44 had an authorised strength of 62 men, 8 motor vehicles and 2 motor cycles.

Then we get on to the main part of the book a section on each and every Panzer Division.

For each you get a combat history (this can be 10 or more pages for some). An organisation for the unit and details of organisational changes for the period. A list of monthly AFV deliveries and where available a monthly condition report for the unit which details personnel strengths, vehicle and equipment strengths as well as an assessment of combat worth and mobilty. Finally there is a list of assigments of the unit.

It can be dry (my Sister was suprised it had 900+ pages and no pictures) but this is without doubt the finest reference on the subject I have seen and well worth the money.

The Smoking Room
The Smoking Room
by BBC Comedy
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh, I nearly crashed the car., 11 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Smoking Room (Audio CD)
I loved this series, it was a shame they made so few. Classic British sit-com with a few characters and their interaction is the key. Barry's ineptitude at the crossword, Clint's ineptitude at maintenance (he's the maintenance man) etc all add together to be hillarious. I really did laugh so much I nearly had to pull over.

Hellbound & Heartless
Hellbound & Heartless

5.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea but............, 7 July 2012
This review is from: Hellbound & Heartless (Audio CD)
I bought this for my 14 yr old Screamo gothish daughter. I'm into metal but the screamo thing escapes me a bit. That said if your 14 yr old loves very pale boys who scream, shout and think they're vampires you can't go wrong. She has listened to it right through three times and has listened to individual tracks dozens of times and she'e only had it a day. There are bit's I can appreciate and there are certainly worse examples of the genre out there.

The Followers - A Short Tale of the Civil War Undead
The Followers - A Short Tale of the Civil War Undead

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for all zombie ACW fans (!!), 2 Jun. 2012
Great value for money and moves the genre to a whole new setting. I've always thought war is a much under used setting for horror fiction. Or more accurately good horror fiction. The author shows a good knowledge of the ACW (possibly excellent but my knowledge isn't that good to comment)combined with a nice period style which makes for an excellent read. I was kept interested as to how it would end and was pleased with the outcome. I would recommend this to all you zombie fans out there.

Page: 1 | 2