Profile for RAY > Reviews

Content by RAY

RAY (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Panasonic TX-P42X50B 42-inch Widescreen   Plasma TV HD ready with Freeview HD - Black
Panasonic TX-P42X50B 42-inch Widescreen Plasma TV HD ready with Freeview HD - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely pleased with this, 19 Jan 2013
I've had this TV for over a week now and have been very impressed.

I'm not going to repeat what a lot of reviewers have already stated but in a nutshell:-

1. Fantastic picture, even at 720p it looks stunning. Very smooth motion, no blurring. Nice deep blacks.
2. Very easy to set up and tunes in to channels within 6 minutes.
3. I was expecting to fiddle around with settings for hours but was very pleasantly surprised to find that the factory settings are very good, I have only made a few minor tweaks.
4. Works very well with my old Sky+ box, Roku streamer and my new Blu Ray player. (I know I can't get blu ray quality on this TV but my player upscales my DVD's very efficiently and still provides a cracking picture).
5. Firmware updates easy to do but how difficult would it have been to provide onboard wireless rather than expect people to be overcharged for a wireless adapter? (Cat 5 cable worked just fine for me, unplugged and stowed once my firmware had been checked)

All in all, very pleased with my purchase. At the price this quality of kit is hard to beat. I have seen it at under £300 but try to find one left in stock!

7dayshop ScreenGuard / Screen Protector for Kindle 4, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display / Kindle Touch / Kindle Paperwhite - Matte (Anti-Glare) - (x 3 Shields)

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, 25 Aug 2012
This is one of those times where you need to do the right thing in the right order and the right way up :)

If you follow the directions this is a breeze but I recommend you use the enclosed "soft card" to slowly lay and smooth out your protector screen on to your kindle, that way you will reduce the chance of bubbles. I confess it took me 2 goes to get it just right.

As one reviewer has stated, there is a small gap difference of about 2mm but I believe this is intentional as I don't think you could ever hope to replace a protective cover without the access this little gap gives.

As yet I haven't tried my newly protected Kindle in broad daylight (I will upgrade my review if there are any problems) but so far so good . These protectors seem to be of good quality and value for money.

Forefront Cases® NEW KINDLE 4 / KINDLE TOUCH Red Leather Case Cover Wallet with RECHARGEABLE LED READING LIGHT For New KINDLE 4 / KINDLE TOUCH + SCREEN PROTECTOR & STYLUS WORTH £7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this....., 18 Jun 2012
This case is a nice secure fit for the Kindle, with the added extra of a chargeable LED light. Unfortunately the free screen cover didn't actually fit the Kindle screen however that didn't take away from how impressed I am with this case, especially at this price.

Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box
Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 18 Jun 2012
I bought this principally to stream Netflix to an almost 20 year old CRT TV which has only scart and standard AV connections (the red, white and yellow jack sockets)as an alternative to spending several hundred pounds on a new HD ready TV.

What can I say - after a very straightforward setting up process (you need to use a credit card or Paypal to set up a Roku account but this is only used in the event you opt for premium products) this little gadget worked right out of the box. It found my network immediately and connected to it once I had input the password. I then logged into my Netflix account and was very quickly streaming movies on my ancient telly, with absolutely no stuttering or buffering problems, all was smooth, just like watching a DVD. No doubt streaming performance is down to a decent wireless connection - the connection to my router was strong and robust and as yet I have had no issues (Sky is my internet provider). My screen is 66 cm so the 720p picture that the Roku puts out was perfectly suited - very crisp, surprisingly so, in fact. The sound quality of the stream was excellent too. The 3 jacks from the TV go into a composite single jack into the Roku box, so very simple to hook up. I had no difficulty with TV formats as one reviewer has mentioned previously, the box went into UK PAL mode immediately. I did have to change the settings to switch from US timezones but that is very easy to do.

The user interface is simple, if a tad clunky, reminiscent of an old 1980's arcade game and whilst it is a bit slow to move around it works ok. It is very easy to add free or premium channels and to switch between them. The small remote sits very easyily in the hand and with the limited number of control buttons it is very simple to use.

The Roku unit itself is surprisingly small and perches quite happily on my TV top without looking obtrusive. Roku recommend that you don't put it into an enclosed cabinet which might interfere with the wireless performance.

All in all I am very pleased with this product for a price just shy of £50. I suspect I would readily consider upgrading to its bigger brother once I decide to splash out on an HD ready TV.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2014 5:10 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Budget Scope, 25 Nov 2011
Being an owner of a couple of pairs of B&S binoculars, I was comfortable with the prospect of going for one of their scopes, and was not surprised to find that the specifications and build quality on this scope were just as good as my B&S bins. Excellent value and a good entry level scope for wildlife.

Rubber armoured, BAK 4 prisms, fogproof and a pretty good degree of waterproofing (plus a very user-friendly stay-on case) make this a great performer for the money. As far as optics go, the images are clear and bright. Focusing and zoom are both very smooth although there is a very small hint of chromatic aberration at full zoom, which doesn't really cause a problem for me because the bulk of my viewing will be done in the 20 - 30-ish zoom range. I haven't tried digiscoping with it yet but adapters are available. It has a fixed eyepiece so you can't interchange but that's not really an issue at this price level.

This is a smallish scope and pretty lightweight at under a kilo, so very easy to pack and carry. So far I am very pleased with it. I went for this rather than the heavier 80mm model, despite its bigger zoom. Going more stealthy and packing less weight wins for me every time!

Trangia Spirit Burner With Screwcap
Trangia Spirit Burner With Screwcap
Offered by Summit to Sea - Anglesey

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat little burner, 20 July 2011
I bought this to supplement my Honey stove and give me another fuel option for those cold, damp days when timber is more difficult to light. It fits the slot in the Honey stove perfectly, burns well and boils a billy in under 10 minutes (depending on altitude, temperature etc). It doesn't take up a lot of room in my pack albeit you have to find space for a fuel bottle if you intend on brewing up more than a couple of times.

It's solidly made and very simple to use, subject to the usual safety warnings on using highly flammable fuels.

Sennheiser RS 120-UK/Ireland power supply - RF Wireless Open Transparent And Well-Balanced Sound Transmitter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Headphones, 21 April 2011
I must admit I was a bit fazed by some of the negative reviews I had read on Amazon but having used Sennheiser products before and having been very pleased with them I thought I would give these a try.

After a 24 hour charge I plugged in the various connections and expected to have a lot of fiddling about with tuning to the TV. In fact there was no need, as soon as I had plugged in and switched on, I was getting a clear, bright sound. Maybe I was just lucky but I checked the tuning dial anyway, it is quite easy to tune in and out so that the best signal is received. Adjusting the sound settings on my TV set gave me a full range of sound options to use with the headphones and the end result was very pleasing - good bass, mid range and treble tones and with a decent range of volume control (as long as you have your TV sound set to a sufficient level). I only encountered background hiss when the TV sound wasn't set high enough and the phones had to be set to compensate, so it really is worth playing about with the levels until you get a sound that is good for you - generally your sound source has to be set high enough to make the phones sound good.

So far I can't fault them - they produce great quality sound and keep the signal no matter where I am in the house. (I haven't tried the garden yet).

I didn't have a problem with fit, as I have a large head (62 cm hat size for reference) so the phones felt snug but comfortable on me.

For TV usage (which is my reason for getting them) I would recommend these. They even worked on a 20 year old Toshiba and made it sound great!

Pro-Force Hawk Bivi Bag
Pro-Force Hawk Bivi Bag
Offered by harrymccolltrading

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the price but some niggles, 13 April 2011
This review is from: Pro-Force Hawk Bivi Bag (Misc.)
So far I have used this a couple of times for wild camping. The bivi seems to be sturdily made, has plenty of room and I was pleased to find that I had no condensation at all within the bag, even under a tarp, so breathability seems pretty good. The built in mozzie net is a small removeable zipped mesh panel at face level and using it is a bit less claustrophobic than using the non mesh insert. The wire frame isn't really stiff enough to keep the mesh well away from your face but it is not so intrusive to prevent sleep.

The zip is probably about 1/3 length and gives enough room to get in an out without any difficulty but it has no baffle so I would be concerned about using this bivi bag in the open in a heavy downpour. One niggle is that the velcro flap/baffle that is meant to seal the zip junctions has been stitched in the wrong place (slightly too low) so at the junction of the zips I have a penny sized hole which obviously is big enough to let in water (or midges).

I will probably do a bit of modding to rectify this but I hope this is just a one off with my bag and not a design flaw. I think this is only good enough to use with a tarp but not in the open if there is heavy rain forecast.

For the price paid I'm reasonably happy with it but a bit more care in manufacture would have earned this 4 stars.

Barr & Stroud 10X42 Sahara FMC Binoculars
Barr & Stroud 10X42 Sahara FMC Binoculars
Offered by Picsio

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bit of kit for the price, 9 Jan 2011
I needed a new pair of binoculars for wildlife watching, ones that would perform well without breaking the bank. These fit the bill perfectly and in fact having used them now for a few months through a Scottish winter, I have been very impressed.

The BAK 4 prisms give a good sharp image with no obvious aberrations, the focussing is smooth and precise and the rugged waterproof and fogproof body means they perform well on a dull, dreich Scots winter's day. Another nice touch is the tethered lens covers and eyepiece caps - many makers just can't get these right (and some don't provide them at all).

These binoculars will compete with much more expensive makes. At this price they are a bargain and would make a great entry level purchase for someone interested in birdwatching or watching wildlife. I was so pleased with them that I subsequently bought the 8 x 32 Barr & Stroud binoculars for my wife and these also perform brilliantly. If you are looking for a slightly more compact and lighter binocular without compromising performance, I can also recommend these.

Whilst the maker is not the Barr & Stroud company of yesteryear, we are very satisfied with the quality of the item and would recommend these to anyone looking for a good quality piece of kit on a budget.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2011 4:50 PM BST

Barr and Stroud Sahara 8x32 FMC Waterproof Binocular
Barr and Stroud Sahara 8x32 FMC Waterproof Binocular

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little Bins!, 9 Jan 2011
I got these for my wife, who found my Barr & Stroud 10 x 42's (reviewed elsewhere)a little too big and heavy for her hand. The more compact size and lighter weight of the 32's suit her perfectly. As far as performance is concerned, we were both surprised to find that these little binoculars performed very well indeed and even on gloomy days they still provide a good clear image and not far off my 42's.

The BAK 4 prisms give a good sharp image with no obvious aberrations, the focussing is smooth and precise and the rugged waterproof and fogproof body means they perform just as well on a dreich Scots winter's day. Another nice touch is the tethered lens covers and eyepiece caps - many makers just can't get these right.

These binoculars will compete with much more expensive makes. At this price they are a bargain and would make a great first purchase for someone interested in birdwatching or watching wildlife without having to lug around a heavy pair of bins.

Page: 1 | 2