Profile for Cp80 > Reviews

New USB Male to 2 PS/2 Female Active Adapter T-splitter
Offered by BuyOnline Cart
Price: 2.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact & does the job, 17 Jun 2014
I use this with my vintage cherry mechanical keyboard and it works a treat. Could not have asked for more.

Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader
Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader
Price: 3.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy one of these, 10 Jun 2014
You will lose it in a bag or drawer and continually be looking for it. Do what I did - buy 5 of them. They're cheap and ultra-reliable (bought the first of mine about 2 years ago and it's still working). Now I have three at work and three more at home. Some people might think that's overkill. Maybe it is, but some people are here looking for an SD card reader because they know they have one but can't find it.

Integral Key 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Integral Key 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Price: 9.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Never be without a USB drive again, 10 Jun 2014
Work bought me one of these and it's been well used over the past year. I was concerned that a metal case would get hot or it might suffer static damage being kept in a pocket but it's been surprisingly hard-wearing so bought one for OH.

Pibrella - The perfect little add-on to drive motors, make sounds, and learn how to interface electronics with your Pi!
Offered by Wishtrac (VAT receipt supplied)
Price: 9.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb bit of kit, 10 Jun 2014
Great for learning/teaching about hardware control using the Pi. Python library available and clear usage examples on the github page. Power plugs into this board which then powers the Pi so they say the outputs can power higher-loads than the Pi itself. I struggled to find any info about how much power you can draw without issues (would have been 5-stars) but I guess it also depends on how much your PSU can deliver to start with. Managed to drive some 3V relays without any issues so suited my purposes. You can also program the buzzer frequency which is a nice bonus. Liked this so much I bought another.

Kinobo - USB 2.0 Mini Microphone "Makio" Mic for Laptop/Desktop PCs - Skype / VOIP / Voice Recognition Software
Offered by Kinobo pro
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Tiny device, 10 Jun 2014
Not the best sound quality in the world but what do you expect at this price? Works on Raspberry pi if you're looking for something to use with the secret agents book. This message will self-destruct in two decades.

Raspberry Pi for Secret Agents
Raspberry Pi for Secret Agents
by Stefan Sjogelid
Price: 18.61

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but needs some corrections, 10 Jun 2014
The audio section needs checking from a fresh install. Found the aliases would record mp3 but sox would not play back giving a 'no handler for file extension mp3' error. Eventually found a solution online (sudo apt-get install libsox-fmt-mp3). Also had some issues with aliases not surviving reboot in ~/.bash_aliases (they worked for me when set-up in /.bash_profile instead). Buy a USB mic if you're getting this - there is no James Bond style tutorial on how to make one using a pocket radio and a cigarette lighter.

Homedic Mibody 360 Pedometer - 360PE
Homedic Mibody 360 Pedometer - 360PE

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, 15 May 2012
Got one of these from a certain high-street electronics retailer for a fraction of this price and really glad I didn't pay the full list price as I have not been impressed.

First of all the hardware. You have to set the date & time and also your stride length. Easily done by referring to the manual. It displays either your step count or distance walked (although this only seems to be in kms even if you set the software to imperial values). There is no visual display of how many calories you've burned on the unit itself (not on mine anyway). There is no way to reset the display which wouldn't be an issue but again on my unit the step count doesn't always reset. I'm also not convinced on its accuracy as I used my sons pokeball to compare values during a busy day yesterday. This one said I'd done about 3,500 steps (my normal office work average) but the pokeball said over 9,000 steps and on this occasion was more likely to be correct since I was constantly on the move for a couple of hours. It's a shame as the hardware is quite sleek and is powered by a single CR2032, known in IT circles as a bios battery which is a definite plus (for me anyway as working in IT means they are easy to obtain).

Now the software. My advice is don't bother. I had to register with their website to download it (junkmail will surely follow), for which you get a flash-style app which appears to also link to the other devices in the range. Unfortunately the pedometer seems to be very reluctant to transfer data to the application. I managed it once and got two days of data into the app and it hasn't worked again since. It now just keeps telling me "There is no pedometer data to display". The hardware displays a small knight-rider style LCD thing while connected but the data never seems to arrive.

The software itself will allow you to set-up profiles for multiple users which is a nice touch if you like to share your gadgets. If you ever want to delete any of those user accounts though you will need to know the password as you have to log-in to the user account before you can delete it. Blank passwords are also not allowed. The user set-up page allows you to enter your details, such as age and height (presumably to calculate your calorie burn). There is a graph and table function to display your data which might have been more useful if the data transfer worked properly. At this point I will mention that all my testing has been with Windows XP systems - your experience may differ if you are using an alternate version of windows or if your device works better than mine appears to.

My advice then is to ignore the idea that you may get calorie burn info from this thing. A free MFP account will do that calculation for you based on walking time and speed. Alternatively an hour with a search engine is long enough to find all the information and create a spreadsheet that does the same thing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2012 6:02 AM BST

Blue Salisbury 2-Up First Day Cover Album, Leaves & Slipcase
Blue Salisbury 2-Up First Day Cover Album, Leaves & Slipcase

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 16 Feb 2012
Arrived this morning (thank you Dauwalders, I didn't expect it until next week and it's not even showing up as despatched on my Amz a/c so I will be buying from you again). Bought because I recently got into conversation with a friend about FDC's. He used to collect, as did I. Then I set about trying to find mine which had been uploaded to the loft. Everything in its place and all that so now I finally have some proper storage rather than a cardboard box.

The album itself has a nice tactile feel, slightly bigger than a standard A4 ring binder and fits the slipcase perfectly. When I find the rest of my collection I may well be ordering another of these.

The Photographer's Guide to Filters
The Photographer's Guide to Filters
by Lee Frost
Price: 11.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic guide, 10 July 2007
I disagree with a previous comment made about DSLR users not needing filters. I want to spend more time taking photo's than I do sitting in front of a computer screen. I do enough of that with working in IT.

This is a superb reference on the types of filters available with example images of their effects and advice on how & when to use them. The book starts with practical advice on how to choose a filter system and choosing the right one means you need never have to replace your filters when changing your current camera.

You can see examples of filter effects from most filter manufacturers websites, but this book goes further giving examples of what they are useful for (e.g. which filter to use with tungsten light sources). Lee also suggests how you can make some of your own filters, how to use multiple filters and how to avoid vignetting (darkening at the image corners which can occur when using multiple filters).

This is my favourite of the 3 books I own by Lee Frost and I recommend it to anyone thinking of buying a set of filters. The section with the sunset and twilight filters was enough to convince me that I should buy some.

The Creative Photography Handbook: A Sourcebook of Over 70 Techniques and Ideas
The Creative Photography Handbook: A Sourcebook of Over 70 Techniques and Ideas
by Lee Frost
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars More of a reference book, 10 July 2007
I now own 3 books by Lee Frost which surprises me because I was not a big fan of the first one I received as a present (Photos that sell). This one however is much better in my oppinion because it concentrates more on how to take good pictures rather than what you should use.

First, forget the idea that this is a handbook as it's almost A4 in size. The first section of the book contains chapters on lighting, composition, focusing, colour and the darkroom (ok so a darkroom is not relevant to digital photographers but it is a short chapter).

The second section of this book is what I was looking for as a digital photographer as it has usable chapters on how to photograph people, landscapes, nature scenes and movement effects. By concentrating on the content of the images rather than the equipment used, Lee shows what makes a good photo, not just one that's technically perfect.

Reading this book inspired me to go out and take more pictures which is what a good photography book should do.

Page: 1 | 2