Profile for Lisa P > Reviews

Snow White Must Die
Snow White Must Die
by Nele Neuhaus

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Snow White Must Die (Paperback)
This is the fourth book in this series involving the characters Pia Kirchhoff and Oliver von Bodenstein although this is the first to be translated into English. Tobias Sartorius has been released from prison after serving ten years for the murder of two girls in his rural community. Tobias returns to much hostility and although initially decides he wants a quiet life, circumstances lead to him trying to prove his innocence. Then another young girl goes missing...
This is a well written book and I really enjoyed reading it in only a couple of sittings. The plot moved along at quite a pace and I liked the two main chracters. I also found it quite easy to empathise with Tobias. I am definitely looking forward to 'Big Bad Wolf' which is out in paperback at the end of the month.

CUT DEAD: A DI Charlotte Savage Novel
CUT DEAD: A DI Charlotte Savage Novel
by Mark Sennen

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 28 July 2014
This is the third DI Savage novel and I've enjoyed them all. The plot is fast paced with several twists and turns, and you are carried along with the team's frustrations and desire to catch the killer. I did not find the book overly gruesome as another reader did but you do need to concentrate as there is quite a lot going on at times. I think the characters really came into their own with the return of a familiar face from an earlier book. I will definitely be buying the fourth book once it is out in paperback and think anyone who enjoys a good British thriller will enjoy this series

Phantom: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 7)
Phantom: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 7)
by Don Bartlett

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay read but a bit slow, 28 July 2014
I like Jo Nesbo as an author and particularly enjoyed The Snowman and The Leopard so I was really looking forward to getting stuck into this one. Sadly I was disappointed. It was 'ok' and I perserved to the end but it was long and slow and there were large sections where very little happened. I think 150 pages could have been removed without any detriment to the story. I think only die hard Nesbo fans will enjoy this and I have decided not to purchase his next offering for now.

The Gingerbread House (Hammarby 1)
The Gingerbread House (Hammarby 1)
by Carin Gerhardsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 28 July 2014
I really loved this book. I found it well written and the characters easy to relate to. I did not find the language stilted as another reviewer had mentioned, and thought the plot moved along at a good pace. There was enough information given about the police investigation but also parts from the murderers diary including a nice twist at the end. This was one of those books I sat and read in a day and I have just ordered the second in the series which I look forward to reading.

Natural Causes: Inspector McLean 1
Natural Causes: Inspector McLean 1
by James Oswald

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 1 Jun. 2014
I really enjoyed this book. A well developed police procedural set in Edinburgh. Detective Inspector Tony McLean is a likeable character and you get to know more about him as the story progresses. I did not find the opening chapter overly gory, the description was indeed graphic but I felt this was important to draw the reader in and set the scene for what is to come. The pace was good and it was another one of those books you want to carry on reading late into the night.

The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 2) (Di Sean Corrigan 2)
The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 2) (Di Sean Corrigan 2)
by Luke Delaney

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Jun. 2014
I really enjoyed the first book in this series - Cold Killing - and was looking forward to the second. This one didn't disappoint. I like the character of Sean Corrigan and find him both believable and easy to relate to. The plot was tense and well thought out, and I thought it was very well written. I read it in just a few sittings and am looking forward to the third in the series being out in paperback.

Never Look Back: DI Mike Lockyer book 1 (DI Mike Lockyer Series)
Never Look Back: DI Mike Lockyer book 1 (DI Mike Lockyer Series)
by Clare Donoghue

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 1 Jun. 2014
This is one of those books that you quickly get into within the first few pages and just want to keep reading. I liked the main character DI Lockyer as he is drawn into a series of murders of young women in London. The additional story of another young woman being stalked is equally as riveting, and you can't help but sympathise with the predicament she finds herself in. The tension mounts as the stories are woven together and DI Lockyer's character gradually develops. I thought this was a great debut and will defiintely be looking out for the next in the series

Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter)
Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter)
by James Carol

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good thriller, 1 Jun. 2014
I love all types of police procedural/ thrillers and this one didn't disappoint. I liked the main character (Winter) and unlike some reviewers thought him quite easy to relate to. The story rattled along nicely and created some definite tension which meant I stayed up longer than I should have trying to get it finished. I will be looking forward to the next in the series.

Until the Darkness Comes (Pi John Craine)
Until the Darkness Comes (Pi John Craine)
by Kevin Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good thriller, 7 Jan. 2013
I have read Kevin Brooks' first book in this series which I really enjoyed and couldn't wait for the second. I wasn't disappointed. I love the main character John Craine - he is quite a damaged individual but he doesn't play the sympathy card and just gets on with what life has thrown at him. The story was good, well paced and intriguing. I didn't find it predictable and having read many books with a private detective as the lead I still think it is one of the best books I read last year. I am looking forward to the third in this series.

The Fire
The Fire
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album, 6 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Fire (Audio CD)
I love this album. I have followed Matt since his time on the X Factor and bought the first album Letters. This did not disappoint but did not do as well in the charts as I thought it would. His second album must surely do better. It is more upbeat but still soulful and shows off his amazing voice superbly including his unique falsetto. The stand out thing about Matt is the way his emotions show in every single track on this album. 'The First Time' is still an incredible version and his original songs are all potential hits if given the airplay they deserve