Profile for ste.sully > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Samsung Flip Wallet Cover Case for Galaxy Note 4 - Black
Samsung Flip Wallet Cover Case for Galaxy Note 4 - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks and fits fantastic, 10 Jan. 2016
Looks great. Apple fanboys love mentioning how Samsung covers are 'plastic' and how they are detachable but when cases work this well and look absolutely seamless then I'd take the detachable casing which allows for case which is clipped directly to the phone. The only problem is the credit card holders is only designed to fit one card - although it will fit two if you push hard enough. Would be great if it was a bit bigger or had two slots to hold two cards and some train tickets etc. on days when a wallet is not required.

Skyscrapers: A History of the World's Most Extraordinary Buildings - Revised and Updated
by Adrian Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how Architecture books should be...., 10 Jan. 2016
Imaginative layout, informative description, crisp stunning photos, detailed explanation of the structural mechanics of skyscrapers. I get so many architecture books which are purely narrative based with no insight, explanation or evidence the author really knows what he/she talking about or in silly small A5 size books where the photos of buildings are tiny and do not do them justice. This is definitely a book to keep for the years ahead due to its sheer originality.

Toshiba HDWC240EK3J1 4TB Stor.E Canvio USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast enough but awful clicking sound on disc..., 31 Dec. 2015
Looks all right on the outside, heavier than other 4TB drives but has an unpleasant clicking noise when writing which doesn't sound great. (i.e. cheap)

Samsung Galaxy TAB A 9.7' SM-T550 WI-FI 16GB Qualcomm 16 GB 1536 MB Android 9.7 -inch LCD
Offered by ETI DEALS

2.0 out of 5 stars Be very wary of the one trick pony, the display is pretty underwhelming...., 18 Dec. 2015
As someone who owns a Samsung phone, tablet and laptop I was looking to buy this tablet to replace my 3 year Samsung Note 10.1 tablet - that is until I discovered the screen resolution was irregular and were detrimental to what I would use the tablet for. After inspecting a few apps, I found out the display is only 720p and not 1080p as the tablet is an unusual 1024x768 resolution. To put this into perspective, my Samsung Note 10.1 which I bought in 2012 has a display of 1280x800 resolution resulting in a sharper image.

Tablets with 2048 pixel width resolution are now commonplace and 4k tablets will probably arrive in the next year or two so this display could look very out of date sooner than you think. If you browse the internet then the screen would be ideal but watching videos/films or reading a book as many people do would be very awkward therefore I decided to dodge this purchase as the screen resolution is a big no-no.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2015 8:02 PM GMT

Fallout 4 with Franchise Book and Soundtrack (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) (PS4)
Fallout 4 with Franchise Book and Soundtrack (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) (PS4)

5.0 out of 5 stars I was initially a Fallout doubter...., 22 Nov. 2015
A long time ago I bought Fallout 3 for the PS3. When I first played it I hated it and could not understand the hype. Then about 5 years later I realised I made a massive mistake and proceeded to complete the game within a week as I was utterly hooked. Same for Fallout New Vegas soon afterwards. The depth of the locations, weapons, characters to discover was endless and alternate future of a nuclear apocalypse is naturally gripping.

I have played Fallout 4 since release day for over 20 hours (commitments have prevented me playing more). I have only discovered about a quarter of the entire map and believe I am only 15% through the main quest. This is because I get distracted by random locations that pop up. Compared to Fallout 3 this is a big improvement whilst retaining the gripping formula. The graphics are far better although why people are expecting them to be perfect for such a huge game is beyond. Small marginal gains have really improved - V.A.T.S in slow motion increases the tension of encounters, no pause menus for transferring loot creates a far smoother process, weapons modifications add another dimensions of strategy and the ability to build your own townships are satisfying in a barren wasteland where hope exists in very small quantities.

Criticisms I have are about the dialogue. A lot of characters are a lot more antagonistic compared with Fallout 3 and NV which does get repetitive however I admit I have only completed about 3 side quests so I really ought to find more interesting characters.

My advice to any newcomers to Fallout, just play the game at your own pace and enjoy exploring a world that is a distant but yet not out of the question possibility. I made the mistake of playing Fallout 3 as if everything would happen straight away but gradually exploring, building your character, caps and guns is where the enjoyment is. I personally think the start of Fallout 4 is gripping unlike that of Fallout 3 which was quite dour (G.O.A.T.S anyone!) so I think newcomers will really enjoy the game from the off.

Levi's Men's 501 Original Fit Jeans, Moody Monday, W30/L32
Levi's Men's 501 Original Fit Jeans, Moody Monday, W30/L32

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine pair at fantastic value - enough said, 4 Jan. 2015
Considering Levi Straights above £80 RRP in some shops (actually £90!) they can hardly complain when customers can get over 50% off! The jeans I ordered fitted perfectly and are of durable Levi's quality. You wonder at £40 if it's too good to be true but I checked the classic fake signs (diagonal stitch near top button, labels was leather etc.) and they were faultless.

Just be careful and make sure you buy from Amazon and not a third party seller to ensure the jeans are genuine. One of the golden rules of e-commerce is to never buy high-value branded goods and frequently counterfeited goods (i.e. SD cards!) from a third party seller. I see it too often on Amazon - if it seems too good to be true, make sure it's sold by Amazon, or at least fulfilled by Amazon to protect yourself.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3)
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3)
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars The last great Final Fantasy game, 22 Mar. 2014
In short: you buy this just for Final Fantasy X.

I've played most Final Fantasy games but X one was always something different. IX, VII and VI were all brilliant but FFX was always the true adventure game. It was the series Super Mario 64 or Zelda: Ocarina of Time moment. Sadly FFX was the last great Final Fantasy game - epitomised by the fact it was the first (and only barring XIII-2) to spawn its own sequel due to its success. The quality of FF games in recent years has really waned and gone downhill. But FFX this is the perfect entry level game for any newcomer to the series.

The original soundtrack is one of the best in a video game - in fact it is probably the best It is up there with Okami, Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 1 and the Last of Us. The Battle Theme is memorable, Sprouting Movement in Green is brilliant and To Zanarkand is probably the best piano piece in a video game. Some of the songs have been re-arranged and recorded as part of the HD remaster - and to mixed results if I am brutally honest. Fight with Seymour theme sounds like a 1990s MIDI version sadly compared with the punchy original while Sprouting Movement in Green has greater clarity.

The turn based gameplay is solid - albeit slightly archaic compared to the more dynamic ATB battle system in recent FF games. The Sphere Grid system returns which works as well as it did 13 years ago. Where FFX excels is on characterisation. The characterisation is probably relationship between Tidus and Yuna is probably only matched by Joel and Ellie in the Last of Us. The graphics have been improved but they are a product of their time and as such are grainy in places. The real 'Wow' moments come in the form of occasional CGI cutscenes which still video games to this day a run for their money graphics wise.

Yes, it's not perfect in places. Tidus has a grating voice but then there is no such thing as a perfect game. It is linear game - but one of the very few video games in which linearity actually works because most of the story is 'in media res' with Tidus narrating each event as they happen. As such you feel compelled to continue playing, particularly with the growing bond between all characters who all face the same depressing predicament.

Mirror's Edge (PS3)
Mirror's Edge (PS3)
Offered by games.empire

2.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately flawed, 3 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Mirror's Edge (PS3) (Video Game)
The game does feel unrefined and unfinished which leads to many problems. If I'm brutally honest I think DICE were rushed to release the game by the publishers and as such many elements of the game are disappointing and frustrating.

The ultimate flaw is that the game is played in first-person. Consequently, you have to guess (almost precisely) when to jump because you cannot see the ledge you are jumping off. There is so little room for error that the game becomes frustrating and not enjoyable to play at times. Another flaw of the FPS is that items such as ventilation units often become irritating obstacles rather than opportunities. Combine these problems with a touch difficulty level and what you have is a frustrating game.

The story is well... non-existent to be honest. The combat system is rubbish. It mostly consists of a right punch. Not to mention disarm commands rarely register. The game lasts between 6-8 hours. There are time-trials and speedruns for the chapters but they both have a feel of a video game for sadomasochists. They are even more frustrating than the relatively bare single-player story mode.

I think the overall reviews by critics (7 to 8) are very fair despite what some say. Weak storyline, lack of refinement, bizarre interludes where the objective is no where to found, often frustrating gameplay and lack of replay value. Personally for the aforementioned reasons I cannot give this any more than 3 stars.

I hope they make a Mirror's Edge 2 but properly. The parkour gameplay is an interesting idea but the game is so under-developed that it is difficult to give a really positive review. The gameplay should be smooth and flawless (a la Uncharted or the Last of Us etc.) - not feeling complicated and unrefined.

Samsung M8 1TB 2.5" 9.5mm SATA 3Gpbs Internal Hard Drive -PS3/PS4 Compatible
Samsung M8 1TB 2.5" 9.5mm SATA 3Gpbs Internal Hard Drive -PS3/PS4 Compatible
Offered by Artemis Global

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with PS3 well so far, 18 July 2013
Bought this 931GB drive (real size) for my 80GB Playstation 3 which I bought in October 2008. I got fed up of having to delete game data to create space for new games so thought it was time to bite the bullet.

The process is relatively simple. Take the old HDD out, disconnect the HDD from the bracket, put the new HDD into the bracket, slot back into the bay, turn on PS3, it will then format the disc automatically. After formatting, you are then asked for the latest system software which you will need to download off the Playstation website. You will need to download this 200MB file and put it onto a pen drive which you subsequently put into your PS3 USB slot.

Once this has installed you are ready to go. You can log into you PSN account and download all the games you previously purchased again for the new HDD. This is what I did. Of course I could have backed up my data but I still have to install all the games which takes time too so you would still have hassle.

The real reason I actually got a new HDD is because of the Instant Game Collection on Playstation Plus. I can now download all the games and effectively create a game bank by storing them on my PS3 so I can play games at anytime as long as I have a PS Plus subscription. It's incredible value for money and you always have a new game to play.

The only downside I will say is that it is branded Samsung but appears to be manufactured by Seagate which I think is deceiving. Perhaps a sign to avoid Seagate like the plague in the future if they don't have faith in their own products?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2013 5:57 PM BST

Apple iPod Nano 8GB - Silver - 6th Generation
Apple iPod Nano 8GB - Silver - 6th Generation

2.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish. Worst Apple product in a number of years. Avoid!, 10 Jan. 2013
Before I start I wish to clarify that I exchanged my 1st generation Nano which was released in 2005 for this. A replacement program was running for old 1st gen Nanos which were recalled in 2011 due to concerns over old batteries.

If anything I feel short changed. That is saying a lot when comparing a technology product from 2005 against one which was released in 2010. To be frank, I am not convinced this is an Apple product - it is nowhere near the quality I have come to expect.

The sound quality is very very poor. If others are wondering my 2nd gen Nano (2006) & 2nd gen iPod Touch (2008) has better sound quality despite pre dating the 6th gen Nano by quite a few years.

Secondly it is too small. It would be interesting to know how many people have mislaid this in their house or lost it out and about. Ergonomics also suffer, swiping on the small screen can be awkward and often results in the wrong selection being made. The famous click wheel which was faultless, in my view, has been removed may to my dismay.

The battery life isn't great however I think I may have got a refurbished one. Good things about this iPod? The radio is quite good but that is about it.

In short underwhelming and overpriced - for the small screen, poor sound quality and limited features its £60 max from me. My advice would be to get the iPod Touch which is only £50 more expensive. Mine from 2008 still works and is fit as a fiddle.

EDIT:
Having been out and about using this Nano I can see its pluses. For instance you can clip it to your inside coat pocket and not have to take it out which is quite handy to change songs etc. But its still too small.

Page: 1 | 2