Profile for harlequinn55 > Reviews

Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Lena Dunham
Price: 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves this, 7 Feb 2014
From the brilliant series (of which series three is now on) my daughter loves this box set which I got her for her birthday, I don't watch it myself but the episodes I have caught I've enjoyed :) fast delivery and nice box set.

Discworld Ales 4 Bottle Presentation Pack
Discworld Ales 4 Bottle Presentation Pack
Offered by Ales By Mail Online
Price: 23.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice, 7 Feb 2014
My partner was over the moon with these Terry Pratchett ales, really fab designs and super fast delivery, its a shame to drink them :)

Fairytale Food: Enchanting recipes to bring a little magic to your cooking
Fairytale Food: Enchanting recipes to bring a little magic to your cooking
by Lucie Cash
Price: 10.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous boook, 7 Feb 2014
Really lovely book with gorgeous illustrations and easy to follow recipes, I was worried it would be a small book but it is a good size and full to busting with good recipes :D

Pair - Plastic Maracas (assorted colour)
Pair - Plastic Maracas (assorted colour)
Offered by K Direct
Price: 2.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice item, 21 Dec 2013
Nice Item for the price and does what is needed. I got them to go with the Miranda Hart exercise dvd for my daughter for Christmas and am sure she will love them.

Mutton
Mutton
by India Knight
Price: 5.20

2.0 out of 5 stars Like some other readers I wanted to love it but didn't, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Mutton (Hardcover)
I loved 'My life on a plate' and I really loved 'Don't you want me' but I am sorry that I really didn't like 'Comfort and joy' and I didn't like 'Mutton'. It has been a real struggle to read even half of the book and I have to say where I really related to Clara in 'My life on a plate' I couldn't stand her in 'Mutton' When did she get so preachy, judgmental and 'cutting edge' (did we really need to keep reading her saying the F word? I'm really no prude but it got on my nerves) I wrote glowing reviews for her first two novels so its a shame I can't this time and sadly I dont think I will bother reading any more offerings from India Knight from now on :(

Hansel & Gretel: Warriors of Witchcraft [DVD]
Hansel & Gretel: Warriors of Witchcraft [DVD]
Dvd ~ Booboo Stewart
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT
Price: 4.62

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, 24 Mar 2013
I got this by mistake on my rental list, I was aiming for 'Hansel and Gretal - Witch hunters', you can probably see how easy an error this was to make. Anyhow willing to give it a go we watched it. That is 83 minutes of our lives we wont get back. It became a game of spot the extra as there were around five extras (boy with big hair, girl wearing light pink backpack, girl wearing dark pink backpack, boy in white shirt, girl in coral coloured top..)who appeared in various places around the campus repeatedly. Also the same panning shots were used in between scenes. We saw the same woman walk down the same path at least six times.
The story never really got going, the super witch hunter training took about five minute and equipped one of our twins with amazing fighting skills that would surely take years to teach. The acting was really quite dreadful, the storyline poor and it ended on a whimper. The best thing about this film was the opening credits. I think it might appeal to the teen audience but I'm not sure. I'm looking forward to watching the film I actually wanted to watch, it can't possibly be as bad as this was.

When The Lights Went Out [DVD]
When The Lights Went Out [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kate Ashfield
Offered by TIP TOP SELLER
Price: 4.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite chilling but far fetched ending, 6 Mar 2013
I was keen to see this film as it was supposed to be based on a true story set in Pontefract in the seventies.
For the first half my partner and I (both children of the seventies) did spend a lot of time saying 'oh we had one of those' or 'look at the hair/clothes/slinky' It was a bit of a nostalgia trip and distracted us from the story, however the fact that we did relate so much shows it was true to the era.
The film had some really chilling moments, I did hide behind a cushion during the bathroom scene(I'm not easily scared). I enjoyed the film but I thought the dramatic good verses evil ending was pushing it just a bit too far. Since watching the film I have read up on the Pontefract monk and while parts of the film were faithful to that, the rest was obviously made up. I think the actual 'real' story is chilling enough and its a shame that director Holden had to stray so much to make it more exciting.

The Wicked Girls
The Wicked Girls
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Wicked Girls (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! For two days I rushed home from work to read it, I woke up at five in the morning to read some more. I wasn't happy until I found out exactly what happened to the girls. Beautifully written, gripping, fast paced and heartbreaking I was sad when it finished. I Cannot wait for the next offering from Alex Marwood. :)

State of Emergency [DVD]
State of Emergency [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jay Hayden
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.91

1.0 out of 5 stars Jim you should have just let that phone ring..., 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: State of Emergency [DVD] (DVD)
I'd love to say this film was so bad it was good but to be honest it was pretty bad. Considering it says it's the best 'zombie' film of 2012' the zombies were in very short supply and didnt do much apart from stand around at a distance looking a bit eerie. (I think only five actually got up close).
The dialogue was drawn out and dull with lots of dramatic pauses, it tried to be deep, it wasn't, it was just very cliched. The acting, to be honest, could have been better.
From the four main characters the 'hero' Jim (Jay Hayden) was the best but even he appeared to be slow moving and would have struggled to fend off more than one zombie at a time.
Introducing the three other weak characters, a couple and a loner (of whose back story was laughable) made the film go downhill rapidly in my opinion. The two women were feeble (one provided meals and refreshments) the two men were manly protectors, it was ever so slightly insulting.
There was no doubt as to who directed the film as the name Clay appeared constantly, putting me in mind of 'Mr Bean's Holiday' (if you've seen it, you'll know what I mean).
As a massive Zombie fan I really wanted to like this film, I just didn't. My partner was more optimistic than I, but even he had to admit defeat when it ended without picking up at all.
I struggle to see what film the other reviewers were watching. I understand it was low budget, I took that into account but I couldn't find one thing that made it stand out in this popular genre.
The dvd cover looks brilliant, shame the same couldn't be said about the content.

Love Life
Love Life
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Mad love, 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: Love Life (Kindle Edition)
I've just finished the 'Happy Ever after' trilogy and wasnt expecting 'Love life' to be as good after reading the reviews. However I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed this just as much as 'Happy ever after'.
Once again the author has two main characters sharing their story in different chapters, a style which I personally think suits this style of writing. Without too much character overload it gives you time to get to know the back stories of both main characters and helps you understand them and their actions more clearly. I did guess part of how it ended, but that didnt detract from the story at all. I also didnt feel it drag, in fact once again I wanted to find out what happened but didnt want it to end. Another good read. :D

Page: 1 | 2