Profile for Bazda > Reviews

A Guide to Rational Living
by Melvin Powers
Price: 8.74

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't lead to genuine recovery, 23 Mar 2012
If you're looking for something to give you an understanding of the joy it's possible to have in life, forget this book. It's written in a nasty prose style, the tone of voice being somewhere between vicious and unenlightened provincial schoolteacher from the 50s, and nagging wife. Its stated aim is to help you, but the contempt for humanity oozes through this book's every page. While some of the principles the book is trying to convey may be sound, I don't believe it can ever effect a true change in people. Its tone is self-regarding and self-righteous, leading to a situation which cannot possibly foster and encourage true self-knowledge. It hectors the reader from a "better-than" perspective, rather than having the humility and insight of true wisdom. I'll use the word again because it's warranted: this is a nasty little book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2012 10:58 PM BST

Fashion Photography - A Pocket Tutorial
Fashion Photography - A Pocket Tutorial
Price: 2.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly insightful and practical guide, 17 May 2011
I bought this because I was sick of the books and courses where no-one seems to know what they are talking about. I got more from Diego Indraccolo's Pocket Tutorial than I had from all other "how to" professional photography guides put together. It's not just the techniques, but an attitude... and it is about the techniques as well. I am now putting together my own test shoots, and have started to see great results. Highly recommended.