Profile for killerbee > Reviews

Netgear WN1000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender
Netgear WN1000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender
Price: 21.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrated by poor technical support, 17 Dec 2012
Unfortunately I can't verify this since my WN1000RP only worked for 5 minutes! This review is to give warning that Netgear support can be very frustrating if things go wrong with your device.

When I first connected to the device via the portal I was prompted to upgrade the firmware. Thinking it would be best to upgrade I followed the instructions. Unfortunately something went wrong during the process and this left the device completely in operable. Never-mind I thought, it's under warranty so am sure I can get a replacement.

Getting technical support via Netgear (mynetgear.com) is a long winded and costly process. Eventually however I did manage to register my device, explain the issue (several times via email) and after a couple of weeks get agreement for a replacement to be sent. However, in order to receive a replacement you have to send back the faulty device at your own cost (you can even pay extra if you want them to process your case quickly)!

Eventually the replacement arrived (about 2 weeks later - Yodel to blame here as it took them 7 days to do a next day delivery). But to my disappointment the replacement device has a US 2 pin plug, not UK 3 pin (like the one I bought).

Because Netgear close any support case after 7 days of inactivity (and thanks to Yodel this was the situation here) I had to create a new case and explain the situation again. Adding to the frustration is that Netgear support is an offshore centre and communication is not always that easy (particularly on the telephone).

I am not willing to pay postage and packaging again to return the device which I believe Netgear will agree too but this puts me down a special support path that requires manual authorization and my credit card details as guarantee!

They promised to call me last week but never did. I chased them this week and had to explain the situation twice to their call handlers before being given another case number and told another department would call me soon. I am still waiting for the call...

Gro-Egg Room Thermometer
Gro-Egg Room Thermometer
Price: 13.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little gadget, 20 Aug 2009
This is an excellent little gadget. I read the reviews on Amazon of the older model and was concerned about comments that the temperature reading was not that accurate. I took the gamble that this issue would have been resolved in the updated model and am glad to say I have been proven correct. I have tested the temperature against several themometers I have and they all consistentantly measure within 0.2degrees of each other. Would definately recommend this model if you are after this kind of product.