Profile for ToxicGnostic > Reviews

Content by ToxicGnostic

ToxicGnostic

Page: 1 | 2
Kapilavastu (Buddha, Book 1)
Kapilavastu (Buddha, Book 1)
by Osamu Tezuka
Price: 9.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Hardcover Paperback Skillful Means, 22 Jan 2012
A few details that I feel other reviews have not covered:

The hardcovers, published by Vertical, when put together on the bookshelf, combine spines to create a really cool image of the Buddha as a young man, as a middle aged man and then as an old man. Inside, the paper is bright and this means that the drawings are pleasing to the eye and easy to read. They have a wrap-around dust jacket that is made to cover only the bottom section of the book. I find these dust jackets extremely irritating, like the publishers couldn't make up their mind.

The paperbacks published by Vertical have the word BUDDHA on the spines in different colours but do not create a composite picture of the Buddha.

The paperbacks published by Harper Collins do create a composite image of the 'three Buddhas' but it does not look as elegant as the one on the hardcovers. Inside, the paper is a little dull (printed on cheaper paper than the hardcovers), but they are fit for purpose.

As a person who is interested in Buddhism, I found this series to be a lovely example of what Buddhists call 'skillful means'. Yes, the story is strongly embellished with Tezuka's own characters and humour, but to say that you learn nothing about Buddhism is simply wrong. In fact, everything in the story lends itself subtly to the explanation of core Buddhist ideas. Tezuka was obviously aiming at the spirit and not the letter of Buddhism and by doing so brings it alive, relating it (despite the many fantastical feats in the storyline) to real human experience.

The Bhagavad Gita
The Bhagavad Gita
Price: 5.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, 20 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Bhagavad Gita (Kindle Edition)
The author is well known for his many translations of spiritual classics and is accepted as someone who strongly interprets rather than translates.
However, although I am not a scholar, I have read the academic versions that are recommended by University courses, and I think that this version, although taking some liberties, is not far from the stricter versions.

It is also highly readable and I now find all other translations cumbersome, as if they are missing the point somehow.

I love this version and recommend anyone who loves the Gita to check it out.

Magic: the Gathering - Wind Drake M10 - Deck Protectors (80)
Magic: the Gathering - Wind Drake M10 - Deck Protectors (80)

5.0 out of 5 stars They look great!, 20 Dec 2011
I ordered these to protect my favourite deck and they look great.

The colour rendition of the painting is really good, they fit the cards snugly and they are just fun to have!

Avatar: The Legend of Aang (Nintendo DS)
Avatar: The Legend of Aang (Nintendo DS)
Offered by RAREWAVES
Price: 14.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Young fans will love it., 20 Dec 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I am 7, a big Avatar fan and would recommend this game. The characters look like they do in the cartoon series.

If you're into Avatar, you'll definitely enjoy this game. You can do all kinds of things with 'bending'. As Aang, you can airbend, as Haru, you can earthbend and as Katara you can waterbend. You can also play as Sokka, who uses his boomerang to battle the baddies with.

I'm still enjoying it and have had it a few weeks.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great box, 29 Oct 2011
I love this box!

It is made of a durable soft plastic and the lid is securely and tightly bonded. For a long time, I had my MagicTG cards in their original boxes, with the artwork on, which was great. But for my favourite self-built deck I wanted the cards to be in plastic sleeves and in a stylish, strong box.

It is perfect for people like myself who have freely admitted, at least themselves, that they are OCD and live with a constant anxiety that their MTG cards are going to get a slight blemish on them. With this box, I can rest at ease. Thanks to UltraPro for increasing my peace of mind.

To be honest, I am having to exert much self-control in not buying loads of these boxes (which are great value for money) for general use.

5 45x45mm TYRE TIRE PUNCTURE REPAIR PATCH PATCHES TUBE
5 45x45mm TYRE TIRE PUNCTURE REPAIR PATCH PATCHES TUBE
Offered by Extreme Auto Accessories
Price: 1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 27 Oct 2011
These patches are useless.

Just buy a spare inner tube or decent patches from a respectable bike shop.

Waste of money.

LEGO Ninjago: Kai/Zane 2-in-1 Ninja Handbook
LEGO Ninjago: Kai/Zane 2-in-1 Ninja Handbook
by Ladybird

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Can't put it down., 14 Aug 2011
In this book there is a section on ninja combat styles, that actually provides real information on the martial arts, from Aikido to Judo and more.

I'm reading and enjoying this so much, that the pages are starting to fall out -(note to publishers - perhaps better binding next time!)

I really like that in every book it tells you about how Sensei Wu met them and how they became a ninja.

I am seven and have read the book myself, as I wanted to discover all about ninjas on my own first, before I revealed these ancient truths to the rest of my family. I have also read it with my parents.

I would recommend these books to all students of Spinjitsu.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2012 8:01 PM GMT

Refugees (Star Wars: Invasion)
Refugees (Star Wars: Invasion)
by Tom Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Great storytelling, 23 July 2011
I'm not a great fan of the Star Wars EU, but this really captured my attention and kept it. The art work and storytelling are great and the characters have depth, even given it is a comic and not a novel. I'm now really looking forward to the next part in the series.
Highly recommended.

Mysteries of the Jedi (Star Wars)
Mysteries of the Jedi (Star Wars)
by DK
Price: 6.91

4.0 out of 5 stars The Jedi Path for younger Padawans, 16 May 2011
This is a great overview of what it is to be a Jedi, written for older children - kind of like a "Jedi Path" for non-adults. Every page is full of colour photos from the films and Clone Wars episodes.

I particularly liked the pages showing the construction of a lightsaber and details of other Jedi equipment.

Another page shows details of and images of Jedi practising the combat Forms.

Entertaining, although you'll read it pretty quickly if you're over eight years old.

Lego Universe Official Game Guide (Prima's Official Strategy Guides)
Lego Universe Official Game Guide (Prima's Official Strategy Guides)
by Prima Games

4.0 out of 5 stars A real blast !, 12 Mar 2011
My 7 year old loves this game. Its constantly being updated which adds to the excitement and he prefers it to the LEGO DS games because it is so customisable.

The really great thing is that when the computer is off, he wants to act out the scenes in real life and, like the game, wants everyone to work collaboratively in the same team. The game offers 'techies' their first taste of computer programming as well. There are also no check-points, so you can log off and when you return you're pretty much where you were.

I have found that it does in fact work quite well on XP as long as you download all the latest drivers for your computer. A few graphics issues pop up every now and then but these can be solved by logging out and back in again.

Page: 1 | 2