ARRAY(0xa6bf96b4)

Profile for Wilson > Reviews

Content by Wilson

Wilson "Cliff Wilson" (London)

Samsung Story Station 1.5TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
Samsung Story Station 1.5TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

2.0 out of 5 stars Not happy working with Mac Time Machine, 3 Mar 2011
I bought this to work with my Mac, have it formatted for Mac OS and have turned off all the energy saving stuff in Preferences but it still isn't practical to leave it turned on whilst I'm working - which is the idea of Time Machine.

For some reason it dramatically slows down the process of saving documents on the whole computer - even if I'm saving to the on-board HD1 hard disk. Also, when you do actually save something to the Story you have to wait and listen whilst it reluctantly cranks itself up with its whirrs and clicks (I admit it's a few inches away on my desk in a quiet office but am baffled that anyone else could use the word silent).

And finally, if you don't close down or eject it carefully it disappears entirely. With all those other positive reviews I have to conclude that for some reason it really doesn't like Macs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2011 12:12 PM GMT

Using Drupal
Using Drupal
by Angela Byron

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best, 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: Using Drupal (Paperback)
Of the dozens of books this graphic designer has used to teach himself to be a web designer there are about three that are used constantly - and this is one of them.

By walking through a dozen or so types of sites (gallery, newspaper, multilingual, store...) you get a sense of how Drupal works and develop the confidence to work with other modules - without having to do much to the code. So with this and a software package called Artisteer to help with creating a theme (it is a bit sketchy with this) I am able to present myself to clients as a virtual web developer - so it has enabled me to earn many thousands of pounds.

In fact I bought it maybe a year or so ago and today is just the latest of many times it has helped me out - a client suddenly decided he needed a workflow system as part of a new site. And with this book I did it in an hour or so. I don't do these reviews much but I feel so grateful to these writers for getting me out of yet another hole.

Kenwood BM250 Bread Maker, 12 Programs, White
Kenwood BM250 Bread Maker, 12 Programs, White

2.0 out of 5 stars False economy - get the Panasonic, 18 July 2009
I was impressed by the Kenwood when I was new to this kind of machine - it does make much better bread than the shops. But in a few months the consequences of its cheapness become apparent - more noise, loose clips, the printing comes off the control panel.... Then after just ten months a crucial circlip came off the main bearing in the tin and it fell apart.

Tried to get service under the guarantee but got no response from the Amazon subcontractor that supplied it (Pixmania - Amazon don't seem to use them for breadmakers now) and didn't see why I should spend nearly 20 on a new tin so splashed out on the Panasonic - an excellent decision though I say it myself.

Generally the Panasonic takes 4-5 hrs to make a loaf instead of 3-4 and the difference really counts (Kenwood even does a ridiculous 58 minute loaf which is more like building material than food), is vastly better made and much easier to use with a clear, logical control panel. More, better recipes and a thin, straight paddle which seems to be held in the tin when it's hot and leaves a discreet incision in the loaf rather than ripping a great ragged hole. And it's so quiet that you hardly know it's on whereas you couldn't use the Kenwood's timer to work in the night because the noise'd wake us all up.

Brilliant Flash CS4
Brilliant Flash CS4
by Mr Steve Johnson
Price: 13.83

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't find files to download, 5 Jan 2009
This review is from: Brilliant Flash CS4 (Paperback)
Suggest that you check that you can find the supporting files on their website before buying this - I can't and it's of limited use without them. Also they seem to have put more effort into the attractive presentation than effective explanations. Maybe Flash is now too advanced and complex for a single general volume.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2010 1:17 AM BST