Profile for A. Stevens > Reviews

Content by A. Stevens

A. Stevens "Drain" (Somerset, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Draper Expert 69565 20 m Water Level and Accessories
Draper Expert 69565 20 m Water Level and Accessories
Price: 24.47

3.0 out of 5 stars Works okay after a lot of unexpected effort, 2 Jun 2014
Had not used one of these before. Neither the pre-sales description nor the instructions mentioned that it is necessary to make some sort of wooden stand (about a metre tall) to support each end vertically. And that a metre rule is needed to compare the levels. No advice was given on how to eliminate all the bubbles. I eventually resorted to laying the pipe out straight in our sloping garden and working them up from bottom to top - I suspect there is a better way but I don't know it. Once you have done this, don't empty the pipe ever again! To summarise, it took me a whole day to do my first reliable measurement. Since then it has been perfect. But where am I going to store the stands?

12 x Everbuild Pinkgrip Dry Fix Drywall Adhesive and Applicator Gun Dryfix
12 x Everbuild Pinkgrip Dry Fix Drywall Adhesive and Applicator Gun Dryfix
Offered by Transtools
Price: 81.99

5.0 out of 5 stars More versatile than I expected, 6 Aug 2013
I am reviewing Everbuild PinkGrip DryFix FR, which is the new Fire Retardant version (note the "FR" suffix on the label. AFAIK Everbuild has stopped making the non-FR version but there may still be stocks of it on sale. I switched to PinkGrip DryFix FR because I discovered that a long bead of a rival product would burn furiously like touch paper if lit with a match. I did not like the thought of great blobs of the stuff coming into contact with first fix electrics. I started with 2 cans of PinkGrip and did some tests using the free trigger nozzles (much better than the usual press button nozzles). Even with a blow torch I could not get it to stay alight - it burnt and shrivelled but the flame went out as soon as the blowtorch was removed. So far so good.

Then I tested the adhesion. As reported by others the curing time is moderately critical. This was in the winter and our indoor site was about 8C at which temperature about 5 to 10 minutes seemed about right. We found that it would stick any two dust free surfaces we tried, including concrete blocks, light weight blocks, plaster board, wood, wood primer and most important of all, foil backed insulation board (Xtratherm in our case). Nor does it seem to mind damp (although I havent tested damp thoroughly). So I ordered a box of cans, the gun and Everbuild gun cleaner. As far as I can see the gun is just like any other good quality cast alloy gun. Good though the free trigger nozzles are, the gun is essential for bulk use. And it doesnt seem to clog even if left for several days.

It is now summer and my friend and I have stuck a large number of insulation and plaster boards in my barn conversion using this stuff. At this temperature, say 25C, we have reduced the curing time to 3 minutes. For uneven walls we apply blobs about the size of large buns (looking like pink meringues!) spaced about 12" apart in a grid, leaving a border of about 3" all the way round the edge. For even walls we apply long straight "worms" about 3/4" diameter spaced about 6" apart. We then use a combination of planks and blocks to press the board against the wall so that it is perfectly flat and perfectly aligned with the previous board. We aim for a gap between wall and board of 1/8" (3mm) at its closest point (although we dont always achieve that). Within a few hours the bond (over a large area) is so strong that absolutely nothing will shift it other than a saw (but unlike other adhesives it saws and cuts easily - like cutting a meringue). The process is very quick - 90% of our time goes into measuring and cutting. And one can does a lot of full size boards, or their equivalent in m2.

The expansion is modest but robust. It is essential to leave generous gaps between blobs or beads otherwise no amount of pressure will stop it bulging. With experience the expansion ceases to be a problem. We have also used it in a number of places as an insulating expanding filler. I was using a specialised expanding filler with a higher expansion ratio but the gun was prone to clog if left for more than an hour, and nothing would unclog it so I switched to PinkGrip for that too.

Finally we have found that we prefer it to ordinary adhesives for general sticking, eg wood to concrete. It is much quicker to apply, takes to more surfaces and goes much further, the only proviso being that it needs stronger clamping to inhibit movement while setting.

All in all an excellent product for part time DIYers such as myself.

Hailo XXR 150 kg Capacity Aluminium Deluxe Comfort Steps (4 Steps)
Hailo XXR 150 kg Capacity Aluminium Deluxe Comfort Steps (4 Steps)
Offered by Abbey Access Ltd
Price: 56.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent light weight steps, 20 Feb 2012
These steps have completely transformed my attitude towards DIY at ceiling height. Struggling with my old heavy steps was really off putting. And I never felt comfortable at the top. Now it is so easy to move around the room, and I the handle and shelf at the top make me feel safe and able to concentrate on what I am doing. One piece of advice - I went to a lot of trouble to choose the model with the right number of steps. It is worth doing this. Too few is obviously a mistake. Too many and the shelf will get in the way and you will be too far from the wall.

PaperMate M15 Permanent Marker Bullet Tip 1.8mm Line Black Ref S0192582 [Pack 12]
Offered by Choice Stationery Supplies Limited
Price: 5.87

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I ordered!, 14 Sep 2011
Thanks to doing this review I have just noticed what is wrong with these pens. They look like Papermates but they are NOT Papermates. My last felt tip WAS a Papermate and it suited me fine. It had just the right flow rate for what I used it for, and it lasted for ages. So I decided to order a whole box but these ones flow too quickly almost to the point of flooding. At first I thought it was just a batch variation but I now see that I have been sent a different brand, namely Sharpies. I am going to ask for them to be replaced.

Edimax EW-7811UN 150Mbps Wireless Nano USB Adapter
Edimax EW-7811UN 150Mbps Wireless Nano USB Adapter
Offered by HometownTV UK
Price: 7.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and amazingly tiny, 26 Jun 2011
My wife dropped her laptop on its edge and broke not only the wireless card but also the whole PCMCIA socket. Tried running with ethernet cable but very inconvenient. This device seemed like the answer - only the size of a bean and almost invisible when occupying a spare USB socket. Apparently supports later encryption protocols but for the sake of our other computer I have set it to WEP. Our WIFI router is the latest BT Homehub V3. No problems at all so far after several weeks daily use.

Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet
Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but ..., 5 May 2011
This tablet has postcard sized playing area (ie approx A6). For years I had a WACOM Graphire tablet, also with an A6 playing area. I was very happy with it but eventually it started to lose connection intermittently so the Graphire having apparently been superseded by the Bamboo Pen the latter seemed the obvious replacement. When it arrived the first thing I noticed was that the long side is physically longer than the Graphire's was, and the cable comes out at the side, so the combined effect is that the playing area begins a full 7cm from the side of my laptop, which is much further than I want it to be. In the case of the Graphire the cable came out of the top and the device was narrower so it was possible to have the playing area much closer. A partial workaround with the Bamboo is to select the left handed option while leaving the device on the right hand(!) but this looks very untidy and the left handness does not kick in until very late in the computer's start up. Why oh why did Wacom alter a winning design? The next thing I noticed was that the pressure sensitivity did not work. I thought that there was something wrong with the pen but after a phone call to customer support it turned out that the new device driver could not coexist with the old Graphire device driver so the latter had to be removed. Why couldnt the installation have detected that? It all works fine now that I have got used to it, and I would not be without it, but I still think the Graphire was a better product.

Jet Tec H78 - Print cartridge ( replaces HP 78 ) - 1 x yellow, cyan, magenta - remanufactured
Price: 8.78

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what they were, 18 April 2011
I switched to JetTec several years ago but I have now switched back to HP until I get a new printer. The last 2 JetTecs have had a dreadful colour balance. OK for internet stuff but no good for photographs or making copies of my watercolours. Fitted a new HP - what a difference!

Hama USB 2.0 Hub 1:4 Black, Bus-powered
Hama USB 2.0 Hub 1:4 Black, Bus-powered
Offered by Office Nerd
Price: 6.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, 18 April 2011
1 or 2 of my USB ports were becoming unreliable. This hub solves the problem by sitting permanently in my last surviving good port. So far so good!

Victorian Technology: Invention, Innovation, and the Rise of the Machine (Victorian Life and Times)
by Herbert Sussman
Price: 27.36

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly illustrated, 31 Jan 2011
Good text spoilt by meagre illustrations. Now that picture printing is so economical there is no excuse for inadequate illustrations in reference books.

Ontario Tourist Guide (Michelin Green Guides)
Ontario Tourist Guide (Michelin Green Guides)
by Gwen Cannon
Price: 10.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 Jan 2011
I bought this as a gift for a friend who will be visiting Ontario this year. She says that it is exactly what she wanted - very comprehensive, well illustrated and very compact.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3