Profile for austinmiller > Reviews

Tea Tree Therapy Toothpicks 100 Count
Offered by High Street
Price: 4.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind blowing, 24 April 2013
How can a toothpick be so intense? I don't get it. Regardless, I've gotten semi-addicted. The flavor is subtle at first but performs a gradual crescendo, ultimately reaching an overbearing level of freshness. I'm not exaggerating when I state that I've had people on the other side of the room make note of my breath after I've chewed on one of these.

In the Beginning
In the Beginning
Price: 4.31

2.0 out of 5 stars I should have read the product description with more care, 1 Oct 2011
This review is from: In the Beginning (Kindle Edition)
While I enjoyed hearing Armstrong's interpretation of the tales of Genesis, I was quite surprised when her book abruptly ended and the remaining half was simply the actual text of Genesis. Based on the number of pages remaining I thought she would perhaps move on to Exodus or engage in some overarching analysis of Genesis. Nope. Instead I feel slightly cheated that I paid for a copy of Genesis, something I can download or obtain from the Gideons for free. This would more appropriately be classified as a pamphlet.

History of the Ottawa and Chippewa Indians of Michigan
History of the Ottawa and Chippewa Indians of Michigan

4.0 out of 5 stars Me-no au-no-kaw-so-win, 18 July 2011
I know of no better free account of the history of these people. As a native Ottawan, Blackbird was an ultimate authority on the topic, and I imagine most future writings of the Ottawan history stem from Blackbird's writings.

My initial reading not only taught me the history of the Ottawa but also gave me a better insights into the Ottawa perspective...how they viewed nature and the world. The last part of the book abandons the Ottawa narrative and focuses on the grammar of the Ojibwe language. After having just read about so many cultural elements of the people in the earlier part of the book, I was surprised to see parts of the culture reflected in their language (or perhaps the other way around...I am no linguist) such as the distinction of animate and inanimate over that of gender. I expect to reference this last section of the book often as I try to translate the numerous Chippewa place names encountered throughout the Midwest of the United States.

Area Handbook for Bulgaria
Area Handbook for Bulgaria
by Violeta D. Baluyut
Price: 7.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs a new edition, 18 July 2011
A relatively impartial look at Bulgaria and its history, culture, and economy pre-1970s. The book reads like a Wikipedia entry but is far more thorough. I purchased the book before a visit to Bulgaria and found that the book did a good job providing me with the understanding to appreciate some of Bulgaria's idiosyncrasies.

However, because this book was compiled before the fall of Communism, much of the content is very antiquated and irrelevant. Unless you are really curious about some of the finer details of Bulgaria's 1970 economy, I would recommend you find a different read.

How Football Explains The World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization
How Football Explains The World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization
by Franklin Foer
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Football Illiterate, 18 July 2011
Having grown up in the United States, I was poorly equipped to handle the football culture I encountered when moving to Europe a few years ago. Aside from not having a strong grasp on the sport's rules (I grew up playing baseball), I had zero understanding of the history and dynamics of specific clubs and of their importance to different cities and countries. While I have finally been able to learn the rules of the game thanks to the kids in my neighborhood, I owe this book much thanks for helping me better comprehend the bigger meaning of the sport. At a minimum, when I travel I at least know what clubs I should be supporting.

I would recommend this book for anyone, like me, who is clueless about the non-athletic aspects of the sport. It definitely gave me a greater appreciation for football while teaching me a bit of history at the same time.

Big data: The next frontier for innovation, competition, and productivity
Big data: The next frontier for innovation, competition, and productivity

3.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile especially for skeptics, 18 July 2011
From my personal experience, I feel many companies fail to capitalize on even a small amount of the advantages offered by Big Data, largely due to organizational resistance. This report clearly quantifies potential financial impact that Big Data could have on a number of key sectors. If anything, I hope to share some of MGI's findings in order to sell the advantages of Big Data to my colleagues. While this publication does not present any original proposals on what to do with Big Data, I appreciate that such a reputable organization as McKinsey published their calculations regarding the value of data.

On another note, I noticed that you can download this report for free--in Kindle format--from MGI's website. Also, much of the report is spent defining terms or focusing on one sector of the economy. For many readers the Executive Summary provides all the needed info.

Dating A Cougar: Book One of the Never Too Late Series
Dating A Cougar: Book One of the Never Too Late Series
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Zero story or plot, 4 July 2011
I downloaded this when giving a demo to a friend on how to use a Kindle. I do not know why decided to actually start reading the book. Once I started I was so perplexed by the dullness of the book that I kept reading, assuming that it had to improve. In the end nothing really happens: no drama...not even a well-written sex scene. Just hot model meets ex-marine with excessive superlatives.

Travel Prague, Czech Republic 2011 - Illustrated Guide, Phrasebook & Maps. Entertainment Bonus: FREE Sudoku Puzzles & "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes" & "The Metamorphosis" by Kafka (Mobi Travel)

1.0 out of 5 stars Should just read Wikipedia instead, 3 Jan 2011
This book book is poorly written, plauged by bad grammar and even worse spelling, causingly me to question the validity of any of the claims in the book. I am surprised it is so poorly written considering most of it seemed verbatim from what I read for free on wikitravel. I regret buying this book as I ultimately had to purchase the Lonely Planet.

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

3.0 out of 5 stars Franklin, be real, 18 Oct 2010
Who doesn't like Ben Franklin? I didn't need to read this autobiography to gain respect for him and his achievements. Nevertheless, I downloaded this book because I wanted to learn more about the "fun" in Franklin's life and who best to describe that then Ben himself? I had heard--despite his virtues--that he reserved time for craziness, especially in French society. Well, from reading his own account of his life, you'd hear nothing of this. His life story ends before he starts his service in France. While on the whole a very informative and fascinating book, I was upset to see the light-hearted side of his life completely lacking from this autobiography.

Life on the Mississippi
Life on the Mississippi

4.0 out of 5 stars Life on the Mississippi, 8 Sep 2010
This book loosely follows a trip taken by Twain along the length of the Mississippi. The story of the journey is constantly interrupted by short, entertaining tales related to Twain's prior career as a steamboat pilot. I am always impressed with Twain's storytelling abilities, and though this is not like his typical novel, I quickly devoured it. This book may have had additional significance to me considering I spent a decade living along the banks of the Mississippi. Nevertheless, Twain is always great and timeless.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3