Profile for Mr. P. J. S. Duckworth > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. J. S. D...

Mr. P. J. S. Duckworth (Fakenham Norfolk)

Page: 1 | 2
The Cornish Coast Murder (British Library Crime Classics)
The Cornish Coast Murder (British Library Crime Classics)
by John Bude

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 7 July 2014
Very well written story rather in the style of the. 1930 Freeman Wills Croft detective novels.iloved it!. Highly reccomended

Wolfcraft 4685000 Mobile Drilling Aid Accumobile
Wolfcraft 4685000 Mobile Drilling Aid Accumobile

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I do without it?, 25 Mar 2014
A really great, well designed jig allowing 90 degree drilling for 5 drill sizes. The green patches are rubber inserts allowing the jig to stay in position against the drilling surface. The contoured shape fits very nicely in the hand and contributes to trouble free use. Typical of Wolfcraft to really design a product properly !
Good value- highly recommended

Brushed Chrome Red iPhone 4s / iPhone 4 Aluminium Protection Case / Cover / With White Edges for Apple iPhone 4s Apple iphone 4
Offered by Top Bargain1

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart and sturdy, 25 Mar 2014
This is a two part case which fits together very nicely and has cut outs allowing direct acces to all the control buttons and sockets. The brushed metal red back is very smart and centres up the Apple logo accurately and contrasts very stylishly with the white plastic surround. This is just proud of the front/screen thus protecting it in the case of a fall. I am very pleased indeed with it and feel that I now have a brand new version of my 4s phone! Highly recommended.

Erkundungen: Erkundungen Kompakt C1 - Kurs-und Arbeitsbuch
Erkundungen: Erkundungen Kompakt C1 - Kurs-und Arbeitsbuch
by Anne Buscha

2.0 out of 5 stars Too difficult for its own good!, 30 Oct 2013
This course book is extremely advanced and even after being in an advanced German class for 4 years, I find it very difficult to get to grips with. In fact it may well decide me to give the language up as I realise from struggling with this book that I shall never make the breakthrough! Sad days

TeckNet® iEP190 Apple iPod Mobile External Battery Pack For All iPhone/iPods
TeckNet® iEP190 Apple iPod Mobile External Battery Pack For All iPhone/iPods
Offered by TECKNET

4.0 out of 5 stars Nifty little Gadget, 10 Aug 2012
I purchased this device from Amazon specifically as back up to my Iphone 4s which I bought this year. Although I charge my Iphone up every night, some days I have very heavy usage - as a reader for example when the battery gets quite low. So I precharged my Technet for several hours the night before to make sure it really was full and used my Iphone until the battery was at around 20%. I then attached the Technet which boosted it very nicely to the 80% mark or so which got me through the rest of the day. I have had no compatibility problems and can reccomend this compact little battery charger.

Behind The Scenes At The Museum
Behind The Scenes At The Museum

2.0 out of 5 stars Complicated and disjointed - at the end of the day unbearably tedious., 19 May 2011
I had high expectations of this book having read many of the positive, almost gushing reviews and purchased it for my Kindle. Furtheremore I spent my formative years in the late 1940's to mid 50's living near York and going to school there every day so was fascinated to have this period of my life evoked. I had been forewarned of the book consisting of a series of flashbacks and in fact time being fluid and ever moving but after a couple of chapters I found this disconcerting, and as I am a slow reader only covering a bit at a time, I soon found myself confused and losing track of the characters and their relationships one to another over different epochs. The most positive thing for me was the exquisite sensitivity shown in the narrative dealing with the poor lads being herded into the army of the Great War and the random brutality of death, selecting this victim rather than that. This was the book at its very best. But the greater part of the inner family life , especially concerning the fat, ugly, obstreperous Bunty and Ruby's reaction to all this and the errant father etc etc I soon became tired of, until the day came when I simply could not be bothered to turn another page - I really could not care less what happened to them. As a practical point I should have bought hard copy then I could have recycled the book by giving it away to someone or a charity shop. As it is, it has become unwanted digital junk sitting somewhere in Amazons Kindle repositary with my name on it. Sic transit gloria.

WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Real Red Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)
WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Real Red Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)
Offered by Saver Office Supplies

2.0 out of 5 stars A compact stylish Drive spoilt by its embedded software and inadequate cable, 8 Jan 2011
I bought this drive around 2 months ago but unfortunately (from the point of view of returning it) only started to use it one week ago - I should have read the Amazon reviws first! I bought it because I needed much greater storage for my image files than my current 16gb USB stick offered, but still wanted the flexibility of choosing which files I wish to archive, and to make seamless transfers between 2 computers and the storage drive. Scant info came with the drive - a piece of folded paper with an Ikea type self assembly pic of the drive connected to the computer via USB - well even I could have figured that out, and apart for the ritual 50 country gaurantee list, that was it. What they should have said, is that they had installed software on the drive which runs things in a completely dumb back-up mode - mine had already started to do this automatically on plug in - allowing no flexibility of operation. Not what I wanted. Thinking I could control the beast I did install the WD management software but this only allowed some flexibility around the total back up concept under their chosen headings - you can not get down to individual folder/file level. In despair I went to the Amazon reviews and saw that at least I was not alone but one of a large number of baffled and infuriated customers, though fortunately a more computer literate person than myself pointed out that you can in fact ignore the WD software and simply use it as a drag and drop drive. This works very well - for the first time you can see the actual files you are operating on! So I uninstalled the lousy WD management software from my hard drive and loaded up the WD passport with my selected archive material - rapidly and without problems using drag and drop. Why on earth did WD not say on the leaflet that you can do this?
The other issue I encountered and many people complain about is that the very short micro USB cable gives problems with loose/intermittent connection. I can see why - the cable used is far too heavy a gauge (too thick) for micro USB and means there is no flexibility where the cable leaves the connector putting it permanently under stress if you have it bent at all, which would be a normal case. this is extremly poor engineering design. I replaced it with a 1 metre Micro USB cable (£2.79 from Amazon) of finer gauge and it works a treat - a secure connection with great flexibility of placing the drive relative to the computer. So for the above reasons of inflexible/unuseable software accompanied by very poor customer communication and an unacceptably poor hook up cable, I can only award it 2 stars. Who needs this sort of aggro with what should be a perfectly straight forward product? If you are still choosing - you should put your money elsewhere.

Garmin Nuvi 1310 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps and Bluetooth (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made/straightforward but a little disappointing in use, 19 Oct 2009
I bought this slim, wide screen Garmin to replace a failed Tomtom Go 510 which I could not get repaired or even make any contact with the completely invisible and anonymous Tomtom organisation - avoid at all costs!. The Garmin 1310 is beautifully made and comes with a simple but perfectly working (please note Tomtom)attachment bracket. You get the usual in-car charger but no seperate mains unit or mini USB to standard USB cable - this was no problem for me as I have an Ipod type mains unit and identical cable which came with a digital camera. If you don't have these it may be a factor in your buying decision. You get a slim Quick start guide and set the Garmin up by logging onto their website, connecting up and getting a free map update etc. You are then ready to go.
Navigation is straight forward and works well with full post code search etc, it is quick to recalculate routes if you miss turns etc. and has a good 'Points of interest' selection which enabled me to navigate quickly to the nearest tailway station to meet a train. Another brilliant feature is to simply put your finger on the car icon and get a comprehensive fix on your position - I used this to get rescued when my car broke down in unfamiliar territory. Not so good things - the maps do have recent/new roads but seem in general to be based on very old information.i.e telling you to turn right etc at a point which ceased to be a road junction 20 years ago!(the road just carries on!) - this was not an isolated incedent. Also, safety cameras are identified but no alarm sounds as you get very close to them which greatly detracts from the usefulness of the feature. In summary I'm pleased I bought it - its slim pocketability making it suitable for pedestrian use and high quality build appeals to me and if you need blue tooth it has that as well, but the two caveats noted are serious enough to prevent me giving it more than 3 stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2010 11:08 AM GMT

Sony Walkman NWZ-S639FR 16GB Drag & Drop MP4 Video Player with FM Tuner - Red
Sony Walkman NWZ-S639FR 16GB Drag & Drop MP4 Video Player with FM Tuner - Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Messy software and low sensitivity FM tuner disappoints, 20 Aug 2009
I own an 8gigs Ipod - one generation back, and although its sort of OK for playing my music collection (I am not an Apple fan!), I hankered after a player complete with FM tuner - which of course Apple will never provide as it earns them no revenue - so I decided to buy the 16gig Sony player complete with tuner.
First impressions were favourable - it is neatly and well made though I did not like the 'white on black' screen as much as the Apple 'black on paper white'. I liked the icons menu which is easy to use like modern mobiles but did not find the earplugs with their 'offset' earpieces very comfortable. For start up and as usual you only get a skimpy leaflet which is the only one I have had which forgets to tell you how to switch the player on!. To perform anything meaningful - and the Sony has huge functionality - you must install the handbook from a supplied disk on your hard drive.
Downloading music was my first nightmare. Sony make a lot of the 'drag and drop' facility. I didnt get the chance as no sooner was it connected to my PC USB socket, it started downloading files on its own - not just music but other stuff as well. This carried on for several hours and the result was a terrible jumbled mess of files which was unusable. I reformatted the player and tried to use the copying itunes software which does work but alas you lose all your playlists. This was especially annoying as I have a lot of music transferred from vinyl and tape, which relys on playlists completely for its identification. The best I can say of it is that I can acces things OK on an 'Album' basis (my CD's), but the rest is still a mess.
Regarding the FM tuner - my reason for buying the Sony, disappointingly it is not very sensitive giving a poor signal to noise ratio, even on strong stations - with all precautions observed. I did an AB comparison with my Sony Ericson phone which has an FM tuner and side by side with the earphone cords(aerials) equally stretched out, the SE phone tuner was very much better!
Regarding sound quality, it is good, but for me, no better than my 8 gig ipod - Sorry, I would love to report it is much better than Apple but I can't. So in summary, a big disappointment and a backward step from my Ipod + SE phone. With these fundamental limitations I could not be bothered to investigate its video capabilities etc and decided to give it away to an impecuneous relative who was desperate for 16gigs of storage.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The best compact portable speaker system yet, 30 Jun 2009
I have been buying compact portable speaker systems ever since the original Sony walkman casette player appeared some 30 years ago and still have some of these (speakers) by Sony and Sanyo.However,the Lupo miniature folding speaker system outperforms them all as follows. The speakers themselves are of the latest type with 'stiff cones' and ducted ports in their small enclosures and sound really great, giving music of all types real presence and an alive feel (though we are not of course talking about real Hi Fi!). The volume is more than adequate for personal listening and the provision of a volume control very useful. the plastic moulding is of very high quality and the folding design really neat. Equally important is the provision for 3 types of power supply - 4x AAA battery compartment making the speakers completely independant, a lead which plugs into the onboard voltage socket with a USB at the other end to go into your computer USB socket and of course this same lead will plug into any ipod or MP3 mains power supply. There is also a battery on/of switch and a green pilot led showing you power is on thus saving battery waste. Any gripes?..Only that the attached 3.5 mm stereo plug lead (to which you connect your ipod etc) is quite short at about 6".(so that it folds neatly away in a groove in the case!), This is fine if you are using an Ipod or similar small player as the music source, but more difficult if you plug the speakers into your laptop - they end up too 'near' to it. The answer is to get a 3.5mm extension lead which I did from Maplin at reasonable cost. All in all a great little system and unmissable at the price. I give it 5 star rating and will probably order another set!. James Duckworth

Page: 1 | 2