Profile for meowth > Reviews

meowth

Sun Structures
Sun Structures

4.0 out of 5 stars but it's great for all that, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Sun Structures (MP3 Download)
Superimposers must surely be an influence on these guys, but it's great for all that!

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - Series One [DVD]
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - Series One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Essie Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars What a ripper!, 24 Feb 2013
If episode two is anything to go by, this series is a winner. The Aussies certainly know how to produce great tv. The sets, costumes and music of the roaring twenties are all perfectly represented here.
Essie Davis is every inch the Flapper, she was born to play Miss Fisher, absolutely gorgeous and witty with it. I am preordering this today!

Tom Brown's Schooldays [2004] [DVD] [2005]
Tom Brown's Schooldays [2004] [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Julian Wadham

4.0 out of 5 stars Some of the worst bowling I've ever seen., 4 Jun 2012
This looks like it was made for the American market.
I thought Joseph Beattie as Flashman was very good however.

Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy - Series 1 [DVD]
Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Noel Fielding

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, 15 Feb 2012
I've been watching this on TV so far. The thing with Noel is that his work is so bizarre, but you watch it again and start noticing the links and little details that you miss the first, second and so on, times.

He sometimes puts so much work and art in to something that might only appear on screen, for a fleeting moment. That takes real guts to do, and, for me, makes it all the funnier.

When one sees the some of the hackneyed tat forced upon us by McIntyre and his ilk, you realise how we need people like Noel to keep it fresh.

Talahomi Way
Talahomi Way

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful as always., 22 April 2011
This review is from: Talahomi Way (Audio CD)
I got my copy yesterday and have listened to it more than once, shall we say! Sean O'Hagan writes such addictive music, with lyrics that conjure up stories and images in my mind. It makes me feel like he penned it just for my ears only. I'm sure every HL fan feels the same way.

Just sheer pleasure to listen to. I really can't praise this music enough!
Every home should have at least one High LLamas album, and this would be an excellent start.

Drivin' hard
Drivin' hard

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat the feeling I get from this album., 28 Feb 2010
This review is from: Drivin' hard (MP3 Download)
I bought this on cassette I'm not sure exactly where or when. The reason, I knew absolutely nothing about them, was the cool cover. It seemed to say "buy me I'm cool, so cool I don't care if you do or don't!"

I was definitely listening to it by 1982 when, as a young army bandsman I would play it over and over again on one of those small stereos of the time, (like a mini ghetto blaster) in my room by myself.

My two roomates who were both bandsmen like me, but 10 years my senior and, as such, rightly monopolised the stereo at all other times. They were hard core jazz freaks and introduced me to people like Miles Davies John Coltrane etc.

One day, they listened to Drivin' Hard, and some of my other stuff which was quickly dismissed, thinking what does he know about music, but very quickly took to the cool side of jazz contained on this fantastic album. A high recommendation from two guys who really did know their jazz. Soon it was one of the most played tapes on that old machine.

I often feel that Driven' Hard is a curious debut album.
If you listen to the albums that followed it feels out of place. By that, I mean that it feels like a collection that they would have made for themselves, for their own pleasure, after they'd established their place amongst the public with the big hits, Night Birds, Down on the street, etc.

The fact that this beautiful work is their first, that they were bold enough to make such a non commercial set as this first time round, makes this still my favourite Shakatak album ever. I urge you to buy it. You will never stop playing it! I haven't.