Profile for Gaz > Reviews

Content by Gaz

Gaz "garry_maloney" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Fallout: New Vegas (Xbox 360)
Fallout: New Vegas (Xbox 360)
Price: 22.40

4.0 out of 5 stars How could they mess this up? Not so bad now!, 21 Mar 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Good storyline, beloved title with great ideas and imagery. Free roaming exploratory shooter. dark humour... yet this has been messed up and is nearly a stinker.
I can't put my finger on it exactly... apart from the bugs... well it's just dull sometimes.

Changed my mind now, the bugs are ironed out and the DLC's are pretty good. As of 14/10/11.

It's grown on me and I hope the new game engine being used on Skyrim will mean it being used on a new Fallout.
This game has longevity and dark wit.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2011 1:52 PM BST

The Rifftionary: (Chord Songbook)
The Rifftionary: (Chord Songbook)
by Various
Price: 9.78

2.0 out of 5 stars A Pretty Useless Book!, 18 Jan 2011
The riffs in this book aren't really complete or accurate in a lot of cases and the author wastes space on drivel about what inspired the songs etc... not what you want from a book that is supposed to be crammed with riffs.
I really wouldn't waste your time and money with this book. It is disappointing.

Helsreach (Space Marine Battles)
Helsreach (Space Marine Battles)
by Aaron Dembski-Bowden

5.0 out of 5 stars VICIOUS FUN!, 1 Jun 2010
I am biased. I am totally addicted to Warhammer 40000. I'm usually shaking as I wait in the Games Workshop in Oxford st for any new 40000 title. So yes this review is biased.
Having said that I am impressed with Aaron's writing. He is a boon to the Black Library.
This novel concentrates on a Black Templar chaplain who isn't content with being left as a defender of humans on an Ork infested planet with 100 marines while the rest of the Templar chapter gain glory in space boarding actions.
To Grimaldus himself he feels he can't fulfil his predecessor's role and this transfers to the marines under his command.
There are other great characters and the interaction between human and marines is electric. There is a sense of fatality throughout the book which Aaron really gets to grips with.
In short I think he is a fabulous writer and would happily buy any future titles he writes.
Huge battles, good strong characters and succinct writing make this a must buy.
There are even Titan battles and a rapidly aging Titan commander who's on the border of senility struggling to keep the aggressive AI of her Titan God machine in check.
Superb!

Borderlands (Xbox 360)
Borderlands (Xbox 360)
Offered by Bargain Games UK
Price: 18.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good long game!, 19 May 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This game was a pleasant surprise. I kept picking it up and putting it back down thinking hmm... seems like the same set up as Farcry 2 and Wolfenstein. Which I thought were pretty bad having played them. This is similar in concept in that you can free roam and fight lots of respawning enemies. You have side quests and a huge world map which is not a linear walkthrough. You get the picture...
But, this game works.
There are loads of things to do and a greta reward system.

Another game for developers to take note of:
Loads and loads of different wepons with lots of different attributes.
Loads of level ups and rewards and experience.
Lots of quests and exploration.

Yes, yes, yes.
It last a long time.
The funky graphics are great I think. Maybe not to everyone's taste.
Oo la la.

To be fair this may annoy players who don't like loads of respawning enemies or like classic linear type shooters.

I would recommend giving it a go though.
Just for all the diffrent guns and types of ammo.

The Biggest Secret: The Book That Will Change the World
The Biggest Secret: The Book That Will Change the World
by David Icke
Price: 21.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and disturbing yet compelling..., 29 April 2010
First let me state that I am not paranoid, mentally ill etc... as I see so many people dismiss anyone who reads or even comments about David Icke in a positive light.
Like other reviewers here I say this... if even 5-10% of this book is true then the world and it's people are indeed not free.
You must approach this book with an open mind and be prepared to receive vast amounts of information and ideas which will challenge your perceived picture of the world we live in.
None of this may be true... some might be true or all of it might be. Make up your own mind as David states in his DVDs.
This book has been labelled "amateurish". I don't agree. He's laying the info in front of you in as simple a way as possible to reach people of varying intellect and background. I believe that's a good thing.
I found myself putting the book down for a few days from time to time as it is a lot to absorb and it can be heavy going. Stick with it though.
He's an enigmatic character. As I see it there are three possibilities,
1. He's mad as a hatter.
2. He's a conman who needed a career and money after leaving the BBC.
3. He's right on most accounts or believes he's right and is trying to help us all.

I don't think he's mad. Just watch one of his DVD's and he comes across quite rational. The son of God stuff was blown out of all proportion by the press. He's endured serious ridicule and attempts to discredit him.
Possibly he could be a conman. My head says maybe but my heart says no.

I think he's right on at least some of his views... but read this book and see for yourself.
The reptilian content is hard to take seriously. You decide!
If you're a royalist or deeply religious this book will likely offend and/or anger you. There are a lot of claims in it which could be seen as defamatory or possibly libelious.

Just keep an open mind.

Facts or not?
People slate Mr.Icke in regards to his sources and facts. Well, yes always question but then people blithely accept other apparently factual information and research simply because mainstream science, media and journalism says it's so.

Please read with an open mind.
What I won't say is that this book is absolutely factual and will change your views. How can I? How can anyone?
But, it will have you doing research into accepted history and science or have you shaking your head and binning this book.

Just consider what he's broadly saying...
Are we really free?

Your choice.

Metro 2033 (Xbox 360)
Metro 2033 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.
Price: 11.99

1.0 out of 5 stars More rubbish games from developers..., 31 Mar 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Metro 2033 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
"Imagine the gameplay of Half Life 2 (a real classic), the atmosphere of Bioshock and the desolation of Fallout 3 and you have Metro 2033."

UTTER NONSENSE!

I nearly choked when I read this line in a review. It's a travesty mentioning 2033 in the same breath as three superior games.
This game really is a case of style over the content.
The guns are pathetic. Unload whole clips into any creature or human adversary to take them down. All reloads are long and usually result in an enemy hammering you.
The "RPG" element is non existant and the bartering system is pointless as you never have enough for a decent gun or blow all your currency (bullets etc... ) with a trader only to find the very same gun pop up in the following round!
what's the point of having to sell everything to get a decent gun and then having no flaming ammo for it?
Who tested this game? The controls are clunky.
This game has a poor start and marginally gets better with what looked like a decent ending only for you to have most of the gameplay taken away from you in "cinematic moments" where you have little control of events and just become a spectator virtually.
Just as the game looks to be getting really creepy and surreal with the "dark ones" it's all over!
RUBBISH.
The atealth element is poorly done with enemies all realizing instantly where you are.
I'm sorry but I'm sick to death of parting with 40 or so for a short, unexciting game. The enemies AI is dire.
What's the point of atmosphere and no gameplay?
If it wasn't for Fallout and the new Fallout due later this year then I'd do away with my console.
Please can developers explain to me why you should bother with a game that makes you a spectator at points? Too much story and not enough gameplay. Why bother with a hand control?
Boring.
Sorry, no disrespect to other reviewers but how can you give this 5 stars?

This game offers nothing new and I believe it's over-priced for what it is. I know I sound fussy but these games are expensive and I expect some quality gameplay for my hard earned cash.
Nothing about the "dark ones" is actually explained and the end round should have been extended!
I wish I could have a refund on this. As it is I'll end up trading this for a loss. I think there needs to be a trading standards enquiry into the price of these games for what you get.

Please don't buy this yet or at all. At least wait until it is inevitably reduced as people realise it's a stinker of a game.
Shame on you THQ for having anything to do with this.
GAMEPLAY and LONGEVITY are important developers.
How many more clunky, poorly developed games like Farcry, Metro 2033, Too Human and Wolfenstein do we have to suffer?

BTW, THQ what are you doing with Warhammer 40000? I've been reading the books for years and your games don't convey the essence of it at all.
Let's hope you don't muck up the forthcoming Space Marine shooter/brawler!
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2011 1:50 PM BST

Fallout 3 (Xbox 360)
Fallout 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Global Xpress
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes! Yes! Yes! Other developers take note!, 8 Sep 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Well, what can I say. This has to be my favourite game ever. I played the brilliant Black Isle originals way back and loved those.
They were blood thirsty, dark, black humoured masterpieces and likewise so is this Bethesda version.
Bethesda have got a bit sqeamish about sexual content but that's a minor niggle.
I hear the new Fallout next year ( 2010 ) will have guys form Black Isle working on it... wow! Can't wait.
The graphics while not the best are certainly good with washed out and dark tones adding to the feeling of a devastated nuclear wasteland. As with Oblivion or other Elder Scrolls titles you can just free roam and play the game on sort of a daily basis.
Your character starts out with a relatively low experience level having lived in a vault most of their life.
Depending on events and decisions you make you'll earn XP ( experience )
points which you can use to improve your character at intervals during the game. This is fun... do you use the points to improve your aim with small guns or do you use them to increase your medical expertise?
You can also pick a perk per level up. Just like the original. For example you could take a perk which simply increases your strength or a perk that makes you attractive to the opposite sex... there are loads to choose from.
You can play a good, evil or ambivalent character... choice is yours and determined through your deeds. Choices!
Listen developers! Choices.
Do you steal? Kill? Help? Explore... fantastic.
They have cleverly kind of kept the turn based combat with a sort of time out aim and fire system called Vats. You can also pick specific body parts in this mode.
This is gaming!
You can parlez with characters. Bluff them and sweet talk them if you're charisma level is good...
Choices!
Do you hear this developers.
The map is huge with lots of dark ruins and hidden caves, facilities and bases to explore.
Lots of different weapons.
What a great game.
Loads of diferent armours with different nuances.
there is a main campaign you can play but I would suggest not rushing into that as there is so much to do and explore.
Download all the add ons or wait for them to come out on disc as these add new items, wepons and armour and Broken Steel will raise your level cap!
There is a great Stealth armour on the Operation Anchorage add on and a gauss rifle for sniping! Oh the fun!
Imagine feeling guilty by setting off a nuclear bomb and wiping out Megaton... or do you play the good samaritan and defuse it?
Great stuff.
I'm usually quite critcal of games but this is an example of how great games can be with time and effort.
Well done Bethesda.
Take combat enhancing drugs? The choice is yours.
Choices and true gameplay.
I was amazed when my character first exits the vault. Superb vistas and a true sense of open space...
What a game.

Underworld 3: Rise Of The Lycans [DVD]
Underworld 3: Rise Of The Lycans [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rhona Mitra
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Why did I buy this?, 8 Jun 2009
This is really a straight to DVD film. Only Bill Nighy saves this as he plays his almost camp, over the top Vampire Lord with gusto.
But ultimatley the film is a let down with no depth and dreary bluewashed effects.
Rhona Mitra looks good but is quite wooden. This film just doesn't really add anything new to the series.
Still, I should know better than to buy films like this.
You just don't feel for the characters at all.

Fable II (Xbox 360)
Fable II (Xbox 360)
Offered by Entertainment Hub Ltd
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than you'd think!, 8 Dec 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fable II (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I've never played Fable before and thought I'd take a gamble. Anyone who's read reviews of mine before will know I slate developers for poor games.
Farcry 2 and Too Human almost made me sell my 360!
Well, I'm happy to say that Fable 2 has been a pleasant surprise for me. The graphics are on the cartoonish side but well detailed and lavish.
The controls are great! It takes no time to master spells/swords/muskets.
I haven't been able to put this down yet. there's an engaging storyline and some dark/tongue in cheek humour. Just try getting people to like you by farting or swaying your hips! The dog as a companion is great and he sniffs out treasure etc... You do get to rely on him.
I'm playing as a good character first... the rewrds are worthwhile and levelling up doesn't take forever.
The one small complaint I had with Fallout 3 was having to spend all my money or trade in all my loot virtually just to buy enough medkits.
Not so in Fable.
The clothing options are fun and you can just spend hours in shops or raising a family or buying property.
A real surprise in all and most welcome. It's going at 19.99 now too!
Some people haven't liked it but i'm not easy to please and I think it's great.
Combat is fast paced and visually stunning. Controls are smooth and easily mastered with small learning curve.
As for the glittering trail some people have moaned about... well, just go into the options and turn it off! Sorted!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2009 12:15 PM BST

Far Cry 2 (Xbox 360)
Far Cry 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN
Price: 12.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Developers: NO! NO! NO!, 19 Nov 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Farcry 1 was one of the best FPS games ever. Why change a winning formula so much? Where's the laconic Jack Carver gone? Where's the Sci-Fi element gone?
Also, this is heralded as "free roaming". Don't fall for that. You still get pushed into situations. There are hills you just can't trverse over etc...
My God the driving element gets monotonous and the lack of save points means you drive and have the same repetitive gun battle with the same dreary spawned enemies only to get killed and have to do the whole lot again! Sheesh! I thought we'd got past these daft errors.
I can't put my finger on it but this game is just plain dull. Finding the diamonds is a chore in itself ( yawn )!
Why on earth does it take whole magazines to take down enemies?
Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!
just in case you can't tell: I think this game sums up all that is bad in games development. What's the point of having pretty terrain and water effects etc... if the gameplay isn't there?
I think they knew this was a stinker. It should not have been called Farcry! Still, that was to get people to buy it. It's nothing like the original!

Oh yeah... the fire effects are no better than any other game.

Months later... still possibly the worst game I have ever played. How did this pile of crap get released?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2010 11:33 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5