Profile for mopi > Reviews

Content by mopi

mopi "mopi" (Ireland)

Binatone Action 1100 Two-Way Radio
Binatone Action 1100 Two-Way Radio

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value but not without numerous minor flaws., 23 Jan. 2015
Bought this pair of Action 1100s, listed as refurbished for 25 pounds. As such they appear good value. I have tested over short distances; less the 500m; and they work fine. I hope to test in the mountains over the next month or so. Plus points are reasonable construction, a dual unit charger alas only a UK wall plug is supplied and as it is the wall plug that acts as the charger [9V 300mA output] it is not so easily replaced. The 1100s can be charged directly from the wall plug by-passing the need carrying the dual stand. The unit uses standard AAA NiMH batteries [4*600mAH supplied per unit], I bought some of Amazons 750mAHs AAAs as I am hoping the two sets will supply enough power for a weeks use without requiring the use of dual cradle. The 1100s can also be charged individually that is directly from the While I like the price and basic performance there are a couple of issues with the units that are worth pointing out.
As others have mentioned the LCD display is, to be polite, bonkers. Most of the display are is given over to telling me the precise frequency the unit is working on e.g. 446.03125 MHz, the first 4 digits never change and the useful information such as what channel and sub-channel are in use is relegated tiny, near invisible dimensions, I hope I do not have to check or adjust channels in poor vis conditions. Another issue is checking if the channel I am using is clear before broadcasting, it's just polite don't you know, anyway the unit does not possess a dedicated button for this but a well timed combo of two buttons much like taking a screen shot on an android phone, workable when not wearing gloves but probably too tiresome to bother if wearing them.
The Action 1100s support CTCSS and DCS 'sub channels', open scanning of all channels is supported as it scanning by CTCSS or DCS within a single channel. All these functions are accessed via a single MENU button allowing the bonkers display to once again prove its inappropriateness as knowing which function it currently being adjusted requires good eyesight, to be fair the screen backlight does help here.
The flap covering the headset/charging ports is supported by a single rubber hinge and will probably fail if frequently used. Finally the rotating on/off/volume button rotates a little too freely, click stops would be welcomed.
There is a useful function hidden behind a dozen clicks of the buttons and that is DCM [Dual Channel Monitor] which if I am reading manual (?) correctly allows the use of a primary/default channel+subchannel and a secondary channel+subchannel. You will hear everything on both channels+subchannels [is there a better way of say that ?] but all broadcasts will take place on the primary unless you make an adjustment via the menu button.
Final word on power use, in full all channel scan mode the unit will last over 30 hours using the supplied 600mAh batteries.

TTfone Dual 2 (TT59) Basic Simple Senior Mobile Phone with Big Buttons, SOS Button, Large Display, Dual Sim

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, easy use dual SIM phone., 7 Jan. 2015
I bought this for my mother [70+ and noted for her taste] and while I thought the phone was a little chunky she loved the look and feel of the thing. Her previous phone was one of the small Nokia non-smartphones so the big buttons are welcome. At her request I did not active the SOS feature.
The menus are a little flakey but once setup the phone is very easy use.

Anker® 2nd Gen Astro E4 13000mAh 2-Port (3A Output) Fast Portable Charger  External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets (Black)
Anker® 2nd Gen Astro E4 13000mAh 2-Port (3A Output) Fast Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars At first glance the Astro E4 13000 looks like a chunky TV remote control, 7 Jan. 2015
At first glance the Astro E4 13000 looks like a chunky TV remote control, it's weighty in the hand [293mg] but easy and comfortable to hold. I've tested the unit recharging my Nexus 4 [2100mAh] battery and managed to get 5.3 recharges equating to approximately 11000mAh of 'real' charging. This is a very good result and better than expected.
The Astro recharges my phone noticeable faster then the wall unit I usually use.
The shape and weight of the unit make it a little awkward to tote on a day trip but it would easy fit in a brief case, hand bag or back pack. The lack of pass-thru charging is regrettable I can imagine being faced with the choice of recharging my phone or the Astro while I sleep, the included light is a small bonus.

August DVB400- HD Freeview Set Top PVR Box - DVB-T/T2 Receiver with Multi Media Player,HDMI Out and Digital Coaxial Audio Out - USB PVR Style TV Recorder
Offered by Daffodil UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value but poor EPG, 9 May 2014
I bought this box to provide a second tuner for my Samsung 6300 smart TV, allowing me to watch live TV while the Samsung records another program.
The Good:- the Box presents a good picture to the TV and is cheap. It quality of the recordings to a USB stick are also good.
The Bad:- the EPG on HD channels is very poor compared to what I get from the Samsung TV. No program names displayed only channel numbers and times.
As a backup/second unit this is fine and the price is certainly attractive.
I paid £36 in Dec 2013

Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit MAR SB Servicepack 1 English UK
Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit MAR SB Servicepack 1 English UK
Offered by stop_computer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price and service some minor issues, 9 May 2014
Ordered from Stop Computers, delivered promptly - no complaints.
The COA 'sticker' is not printed to the usual high quality one expects of expensive Microsoft products and some may view it as slightly suspect. As this is a 'refurbished' version of Windows 7 Pro it's possible Microsoft allows certified sellers to print their own COA stickers. Quality of the sticker aside WIndows 7 Pro installed without issue.
I ordered two copies of Windows 7 PRO, the first copy would not activate over the internet [no reason given] but did activate when I made a call to the automated service on the 1800 number provided. The second copy installed and activated without any issues.
I rate the product 4/5 - the quality of the COA sticker and the need to phone to activate taking a little from the product.
I would order from this company again.

Samsung NX1000 SMART Digital Compact System Camera - Black (20.3MP, 20-50mm Lens Kit) 3.0 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera for budding Baileys, 26 Oct. 2013
First off I bought my black NX1000 with 20-50mm lens on the high street for £139 so bear in mind when I talk about value for money. I usually tote an aging Ixus 95 camera with me when traveling, it's a good snapper and small and light which counts for a lot in my world. My girlfriend has an Panasonic TZ3 with has a great zoom but is a little old now. I also have a Canon 400D with kit lens (never used) a 50mm, an expensive 10-24mm lens and a midrange zoom. The 400D is great but as I discovered on a recent trip around Yorkshire if you just give it to a passerby to take a photo there is a good chance you'll get an out of focus shot (wrong focus point really). So what to do if you want quality photos in a small and not too expensive package.
Enter the NX1000, to be honest I'd probably have passed on this had I not seen it in store for 50% off, but I'm pleased I did not pass on it. The camera feels solid in my small (for a man) hands and it's comfortable to hold. I've yet to find a good bag and/or strap combination I like but I am getting there. The removable flash is a little odd but I like the manual flickup to activate. Controls are easy and though I miss the optical viewfinder (I wear contacts + glasses) I can manage by looking over my glasses when shooting. The camera has so great low light capabilities which I am currently exploring. Controls are quirky but it's not too difficult to adjust. It's RAW storage means I can extend my modest skills in photo post processing.
The camera is too big and an awkward shape for activity use, when say skiing [99 euro Ixus 125 ordered for that :-], but for indoor or street use it's a strong contender.
Comment on battery life: I can get at least 60 minutes of video plus 150 pix with flash plus 300 pix without flash from Samsung battery. Clone Amazon battery gets about 80% of same despite higher Ah rating.
TIP buy a 40.5mm ND filter to protect the glass.