Profile for PJ Rankine > Reviews

Content by PJ Rankine
Top Reviewer Ranking: 861

PJ Rankine (Wallington, Surrey United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ronseal WTCW25L 2.5L Woodland Trust Colours - Willow
Ronseal WTCW25L 2.5L Woodland Trust Colours - Willow

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 18 Nov. 2015
I can heartily recommend this outdoor paint for all your woodwork needs. I bought it for a cabin and researched carefully before I did. A lot of garden paints are just window dressing but this is the real deal.
When I opened the tin I thought they had sent me the wrong colour because it was the darkest grey but it needs a lot of stirring before you get it to the colour you bought.
It is a thin paint but the coverage is superb. Not only did I use it on my new build cabin but also on a twenty year old shed to match and two coats completely covered the dark brown of the shed as opposed to the six coats of another brand required to paint the inside of my cabin cream!

First Response
First Response
by Stephen Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars Another page turning thriller, 18 Nov. 2015
This review is from: First Response (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Stephen Leather along with Lee Child is one of our most prolific thriller writers but unlike Child his thrillers are not repetitive or formulaic. I enjoy the Jack Reacher novels but only occasionally, Stephen Leathers books are always contemporary and exciting and I can devour one after another. This latest book is no different, the same original and up to date storylines and short snappy chapters that keep you eagerly turning the pages until the end.
I read this proof copy the day before the atrocities in Paris and felt almost pleased that it won't be published until February 2016 because some of the story could be painful to read for anyone affected by true life.
Nine men in suicide vests at different locations in London demanding the release of IS prisoners from Belmarsh else they will blow themselves and their hostages up. Leather treats his Muslim characters with sympathy and respect and draws detailed studies of most of the hostages as well.
The story all takes place in one day with no one particular 'hero' and flows as fast as you'd expect to a very unexpected denouement. I can't say anymore without spoiling it except to say that Mr Leather obviously has a source in the Metropolitan Police because his information is so spot on even down to his description of my place of work! Some of the thoughts expressed by the police characters I expressed myself before I retired.
My only let down was the epilogue which smacked too much of divine retribution.

Easy Model 1:72 Scale "M113A2 US Army Red Cross" Model Kit
Easy Model 1:72 Scale "M113A2 US Army Red Cross" Model Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Great model, 15 Nov. 2015
Another great little model for military collectors in 1/72 scale, detailing is clear and sharp and it looks great alongside other vehicles of the same era.

Mystical Fire - Set of 5 Sachets
Mystical Fire - Set of 5 Sachets
Offered by reloads

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, 15 Nov. 2015
I put three packs of these into my log burner and hardly noticed any effect at all, really not worth the money.

Silversil Silicone Sealant 300ml Cream
Silversil Silicone Sealant 300ml Cream
Offered by Virtual Plastics

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than the stores, 15 Nov. 2015
I looked in several DIY superstores for a cream/ivory sealant and ended up getting it delivered from Amazon for less than I would have paid over the counter without the hassle of driving round looking for it. Quite a dull ivory colour that blends nicely into corners like a shadow, this sealant was easy to apply and gave a good smooth finish.

Half Hitch Gin 70 cl
Half Hitch Gin 70 cl

4.0 out of 5 stars Very smooth with citrus notes, 15 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Half Hitch Gin 70 cl (Wine)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Who knew they made gin in Camden but apparently it was once known for it and the name of this gin; Half Hitch, is a reference to Camden Lock and the knots used to tie up barges. Half Hitch gin comes in a beautifully shaped substantial octagonal bottle and has a distinct yellowish tinge. We are told to expect bergamot, tea and pepper notes from its botanicals. Drunk neat this gin has an oily feel in the mouth which contributes to a very smooth drink indeed when combined with tonic.
I can't say I could identify those flavours but I did pick up a distinct citrus note and it has a deliciously clean aftertaste. I was expecting perhaps a tannic edge from the tea which is something I sometimes detect in cigars but I didn't get any of that.
Sadly I didn't have any oranges in as I suspect a twist of peel would sit very nicely with this. Definitely one to try if you're looking for a new gin to try.

L'Oreal Paris Men Expert Shave Revolution Glide Shave Gel 150ml
L'Oreal Paris Men Expert Shave Revolution Glide Shave Gel 150ml

4.0 out of 5 stars A cool smooth shave, 13 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have wet shaved all my life and have tried foam, gel and oil. I have to shave with the grain and then back against it for a decent shave.
First use of this gel was very strange. First of all its dark grey and then it doesn't foam, you just rub it on your face and your face looks wet. And you can see it all! Then the menthol hits and boy is it cold. Then to the shave. I can honestly say it gave me the smoothest shave I've ever had, the blade really did glide across my skin. It was a bit weird not removing any foam and it left the sink a lot clearer but it was definitely a better shave. After a couple of weeks of use the menthol hit seems to have weakened or I've just got used to it.
So why didn't I give it five stars? This may seem strange but I work in an office and use twin computer monitors and I noticed my cheeks were uncomfortably glowing. I pinned it down to the menthol leaving them so sensitised that I was feeling the warmth from the monitors.
It won't put me off changing to this product from my usual foaming gel though.

CAILLER L'Art Du Brut Milk Chocolate with Whole Almonds Hazelnuts and Cranberries (Pack of 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced Galaxy clone, 31 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This appears to be a premium chocolate brand being launched by Nestle and is a chunky bar of Swiss milk chocolate stuffed with cranberries, almonds and hazelnuts. At least that's what it says on the pack because the cranberries may as well not be there. Yes you can see them, yes you can feel them but the only time I tasted them was when I picked one out of my teeth. In fact all the members of my family who blind tasted this chocolate thought it was Galaxy. Its very smooth and sweet but it has nothing extra to justify its premium price except too much packaging being wrapped in foil, paper and a card box.

Vidal Sassoon Hydra Gloss Frizz Control Dryer
Vidal Sassoon Hydra Gloss Frizz Control Dryer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for long periods of use., 30 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This drier got a good testing at our house by two ladies with very different hair.
The first has short hair in a new pixie cut with no products in her hair. She found it awkward to use and didn't like the layout of the controls. She thought that the ions made her hair stand up and go spiky!
Tonight my wife used it to blow dry her hair. She has shoulder length semi Afro-Caribbean hair that she has straightened professionally.
She doesn't often do her own hair but she felt that the ion effect left it feeling softer and more shiny than when she does do it herself. She had no problem with the controls but found that she needed full heat and full power but needed to compromise because it got too hot to handle comfortably and burned her hand, she had to settle for medium heat. Because she has to blow dry her hair in sections she was turning it on and off constantly for half an hour and the thermal cut out activated rendering it useless for fifteen minutes.
This would suggest it is more suitable for longer styles but don't use it too long!

TFA 30.5026.01 Moxx Digital Thermo-Hygrometer - Black
TFA 30.5026.01 Moxx Digital Thermo-Hygrometer - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for cigar lovers, 30 Oct. 2015
Loving this little thermo-hygrometer which I am currently using in a cigar cabinet humidor. The display is clear and easy to read and displays just what I need to see. I have already ordered a second.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20