Profile for tarot lover > Reviews

Content by tarot lover

tarot lover (UK)

Greatest Hits 1990-1999: A Tribute To A Work In Progress...
Greatest Hits 1990-1999: A Tribute To A Work In Progress...
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 6 Feb 2014
I was totally new to The Black Crowes when I bought this, but I really enjoy listening to it. I'd describe their sound as a cross between the Rolling Stones and Guns 'n' Roses.

The Wanderer in Unknown Realms (Kindle Single)
The Wanderer in Unknown Realms (Kindle Single)
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising but let down towards the end, 26 Jun 2013
I enjoyed this book for three quarters of the way through. The plot was intriguing and the writing was atmospheric with some dry observations.

The last quarter, however, really let the book down. I had the strong impression that Connolly had written himself into a corner and didn't know how to conclude the story. The last quarter seemed hastily written, lacking the thoughtfulness of what preceded. Like some other reviewers, I feel that the ending was a cop out which offered no meaningful resolution to the story. As a result, I was left feeling disappointed and unsatisfied. I never did find out what happened to Lionel Maulding.

This short story has some promising material and perhaps it would have benefited from being treated as a full length book. I also felt that the initial references to occult works had been quite well researched (e.g. alchemy; the Golden Dawn; A.E Waite), but the book finished on a rather clichéd note portraying all occult literature as inherently evil.

Trance Classics 2012 - Ultimate Techno Anthems
Trance Classics 2012 - Ultimate Techno Anthems
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great trance collection, 9 Jan 2013
I really enjoy this album of upbeat trance tracks. I listen to it when I'm working out at the gym.

Ash
Ash
by James Herbert
Price: 10.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Balderd-ash, 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: Ash (Hardcover)
This book is utterly woeful. It's the first James Herbert I've read and it is not a good advert for the rest of his work.

I hacked my way to about page 300. It took one hundred pages for Ash to reach the 'haunted castle' by which time I had already stopped caring.

Surely the most chilling thing about this book is the sheer weight of cliché that it groans under.

If you want a writer who has consistently and successfully combined horror, the supernatural and crime to fantastic effect try Phil Rickman. His excellent Merrily Watkins series about a deliverance consultant (i.e. exorcist) has characters and communities that you believe in and actually care about.

Stanley Road
Stanley Road
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb album, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Stanley Road (MP3 Download)
I bought this album after hearing Broken Stones on Chris Evans' Radio 2 show. Although this album is quite old now (about 17 years old) it is one of the very few albums you will hear where every track is strong. Changing Man, You Do Something To Me, and Broken Stones are particularly good. There simply isn't a weak point in this album!

Weller's vocals are supple; in Porcelain Gods he sounds remarkably like David Bowie in his Tin Machine incarnation. The musicianship is excellent, and the album embraces a range of moods: exuberant, melancholy, mellow; intense.

This is an album that I want to listen to again and again.

Choice of Weapon
Choice of Weapon

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, but ..., 23 Jun 2012
This review is from: Choice of Weapon (MP3 Download)
I bought this album a couple of days ago, and heard it for the first time today.

As a long-standing fan of The Cult, I have to say that I was disappointed. There's nothing to dislike, but 'Choice of Weapon' lacks the creativity and panache of earlier Cult albums. I think it's fair to describe 'Choice of Weapon' as all filler, no killer.

Admittedly, I'm writing this review after a single listen - it may be that the album grows on me after a few hearings. However, in my experience a good album has a few stand out tracks first time round and others the quality of which comes through later.

'The Wolf' is okay - it has something approaching the kind of blistering guitar solo you'd associate with The Cult. Does anyone else think 'This Night In The City Forever' is reminiscent of Fields Of The Nephilim's 'Elizium' (I have a pacier version of Wail of Sumer' in mind)?

My advice - buy if you're a die hand fan, just for the sake of completeness (it's only a fiver). Otherwise, you can safely do without Choice of Weapon.

The Kabbalah Tree: A Journey of Balance and Growth
The Kabbalah Tree: A Journey of Balance and Growth
by Rachel Pollack

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, gentle read, 4 April 2007
As someone who is new to Kabbalistic ideas, I love this book & dip into it often. It's an excellent introduction to the subject.

Rachel Pollack writes very clearly, which helps to make the concepts easily accessible. She draws on a wide variety of sources and traditions to make the Kabbalah Tree of Life really come alive.

The book provides a fascinating history of the Tree of Life and gives meaningful accounts of the qualities associated with each of the Tree's sephirah, and of the four Kabbalistic 'worlds'. There is a strong emphasis on taking a metaphorical rather than literal approach to understanding Kabbalah and other spiritual paths.

The colour poster of Herman Haindl's Tree of Life, which is the inspiration for this book, is beautiful and inspired me to get the Haindl Tarot. This book also enhanced my understanding of the Tarot overall.