Profile for James Wright > Reviews

Content by James Wright

James Wright (Berkeley, Gloucestershire United Kingdom)

Node.js in Action
Node.js in Action
by Mike Cantelon
Price: 20.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A great beginners guide to Node.js, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Node.js in Action (Paperback)
I bought this book as part of my attempt to choose the best framework for replacing my aging and bloated JSF applications front end with.

My Javascript experience is reasonably limited so I found the first few chapters at times hard going to follow and understand as Nodes functional nature is a vastly different approach from the standard java applications I'm used to. However running the examples which were all relevant and easy to get working made it simple for me to eventually get my head round and I soon began to see the real power and flexibility that the Node framework and its functional non blocking structure has to offer.

I found the first section fascinating as I learnt the basics of Node but remember thinking at the time that it wasn't a viable candidate for my initial goal of finding a new UI framework for my existing application as it would involve an almost complete rewrite, and even after reading section 2 covering the Connect and Express modules which do make web applications simpler to implement that opinion still stands. That said though if I was to start writing a new application tomorrow I would definitely consider writing it in Node.

I thought the book itself as a guide to get a Node newbie like me up and running quickly whilst covering all the basics was excellent. It flowed well and kept me hooked until the end, I have tried all of the examples which whilst reasonably simple were all relevant and useful. In particular the shoutbox application created in chapter 9 I thought would give any application developer enough of a starting point to get up and running very quickly. This book has not only left me feeling confident that I could write Node applications straight away it makes me excited at the prospect of doing so.

I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn Node.js from scratch with a view to creating web applications as that seems to me to be the main focus of the book. It is certainly not a low level technical reference guide for Node but it never claims to be so if you are already using Node and are looking for an in depth low level Node manual its probably not for you but it was perfect for what I needed.

Tippitoes WHITE Wooden Junior Bed + Deluxe SPRING Mattress
Tippitoes WHITE Wooden Junior Bed + Deluxe SPRING Mattress
Offered by My Babys Room Ltd
Price: 119.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and value for money, 29 Dec 2012
This bed looks good, it was easy to assemble and feels sturdy even taking the weight of an adult with ease. The mattress is of decent quality and is comfortable and most importantly our daughter loves it. Compared to other beds we considered this is superb value for money.

Medion MD40288 Multi-region DVD Player
Medion MD40288 Multi-region DVD Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for money - no lemon here, 16 Dec 2003
The player is excellent and I highly reccomend it to everyone. Its great value for money and I have tried all manner of disc types and regions all of which have played perfectly.
As for the "Its a Lemon" review yes the player is defaulted to german audio and subtitles (Well it is made in Germany!!) But these can all be changed in the preferences part of the setup menu, but as I found out for myself this preferences menu can't be accessed whilst there is a disc in the player.