Profile for TarryFlynn > Reviews

Content by TarryFlynn

TarryFlynn (Donegal, Ireland)

Ask Not: The Inauguration of John F. Kennedy and the Speech That Changed America
by Thurston Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully detailed., 19 July 2014
Really enjoyed this book, it's like an in depth documentary into JFK's life from election to inauguration. Great insight into a masterful speech and JFK's largely underestimated input to it.
His presidency and potential is often over-exaggerated, but this book gives us a small glimpse into his considerable intelligence, political ability and desire to make America great. Interesting insight into speech writing and the stripping away of everything superfluous to get to the heart of the message and make the biggest possible impact using inspiring words.

The 50th Law
The 50th Law
by 50 Cent

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Robert Greene's work, didn't like this., 19 July 2014
This review is from: The 50th Law (Paperback)
Not great by Robert Greene's standard I feel. Felt forced in trying to apply principles for 50 Cent's life. The advice was very generic, like something written by a regular self-help "guru" which Robert certainly is not. Just didn't have any feeling of depth to it. Love his other books, particularly Mastery which is one of the best books I've ever read.

PLEMO Nylon Lycra Fabric 13-13.3 Inch Laptop / Notebook Computer / MacBook / MacBook Pro / MacBook Air Case Briefcase Bag Pouch Sleeve, Grey
Offered by Avantek UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Good For Macbook Pro Retina, 19 July 2014
Not very good for Macbook Pro Retina, far too much space so doesn't look or feel right. The handles tucked away make the case bumpy and takes away from the look. Disappointed. A MBP is such an aesthetically pleasing piece of equipment that a non-aesthetically pleasing case takes away from the experience somewhat. Can't complain much for the price, but think I will be looking for something a bit nicer.
With this case on my laptop fits nicely into a backpack designed for a 15" laptop so good in that respect but I think any case would be the same.

Redesigning Leadership (Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life)
Redesigning Leadership (Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life)
by John Maeda

1.0 out of 5 stars Very little to gain from this, 29 Mar. 2014
Very short book, can be read in a few hours, really didn't find it of any value whatsoever. There are honestly no insights to be gleaned. Quite expensive so I would suggest you avoid.
Really just a book to show how supposedly quirky and cool John Maeda is. I found my eyes constantly rolling at the contents of this book, especially his quoted tweets. Maybe a good book for hipsters and the like but not for people serious about getting solid insights on leadership.

The Best Camera is the One That's with You: iPhone Photography by Chase Jarvis (Voices That Matter)
by Chase Jarvis

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 1 Oct. 2010
Ok I guess, but I'd just look up the website to get the idea, images don't convert well to print.

The Leader Who Had No Title: A Modern Fable on Real Success in Business and in Life
by Robin S. Sharma

3.0 out of 5 stars Good message but cringe-worthy storytelling, 1 Oct. 2010
I really liked the underlying message in this book, some really good learning points, however the whole LWT (Lead Without Title) branding and the primary school story telling really put me off, I found myself cringing many times at what I was reading, I want the author to just give me the message without having to treat me like a kid by building a silly story around it to keep me interested. I would love to refer back to certain parts but I just can't bear sifting through the tripe story-telling to get what I need. Leadership information like this, I believe, needs to be referred to over and over for it to seep into your psyche, but I can't bear to read through this book again, I might higlight the important points, the author does place some of the more key points in italics which helps.
Unlike our story hero, Blake, I can't take a van full of information that's fed to me in one day and suddenly on Monday morning go about my life a completely new person having absorbed everything that I heard on the previous Friday... please.
Again - just give me the information like an adult and let me do with it what I will.

Pocket Rocket: Don't Quit! The Autobiography of Wayne McCullough
Pocket Rocket: Don't Quit! The Autobiography of Wayne McCullough
by Wayne McCullough

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 19 Aug. 2006
I'm a huge boxing and have read many books on the sport but this is definitely up there with the best. It's a terrific insight into the life of an amateur and professional fighter. He takes you through each of his fights and you feel you're in the ring with him, taking the shots with legends like Morales & Hamed, and as Wayne will say himself- his style means we takes a lot of shots!. His heart & courage along with the fact that he's a highly respected ambassador for the sport makes this an inspirational read for any boxer or sports fan alike.. Highly Recommended