ARRAY(0xb3d0ef3c)

Profile for Chris Downing > Reviews

Content by Chris Downing
Top Reviewer Ranking: 230

Chris Downing "Chris Downing" (Chippenham, Wilts England)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
De-Solv-it Sticky Stuff Glue, Chewing Gum, Paint & Residue Remover 250ml
De-Solv-it Sticky Stuff Glue, Chewing Gum, Paint & Residue Remover 250ml
Offered by CKONE
Price: 5.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Does Work, 18 April 2014
Don't know what's in the bottle but it really does work very well. Nowadays we are not to use some of the chemicals and paint thinners we used in the 60s and 70s, so this stuff is just great to do those jobs safely. I usee it to get off the residue left after you take off old sellotape, stickers, carpet tape, and glue. Works a treat and much betterr than using petrol and meths (my old way) and a lot safer - and no smell - so the house doesn't smell like a garage workshop afterwards like it does if you are tempted to use petrol!

So easy to use you'll go around cleaning up stuff that's had sticky residue on it for years.

It Doesn't Take a Hero: The Autobiography
It Doesn't Take a Hero: The Autobiography
by H. Norman Schwarzkopf

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 18 April 2014
Not only a great story of someone who's been there and done stuff, but a great book to read about how and what to do to develop yourself. Try reading "So Good They Can't Ignore You" alongside this book. You'll see things differently afterwards.

Unconscious Putting: Dave Stockton's Guide to Unlocking Your Signature Stroke
Unconscious Putting: Dave Stockton's Guide to Unlocking Your Signature Stroke
Price: 12.93

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Golf's Putting Guru's Latest Books, 18 April 2014
Dave Stockton has been out there, played on the PGA Tour AND written about what he did to become a great putter. There are very few golfers who have done that successfully, but Dave Stockton stands out as one who has. Sp when he writes about how to putt, he's telling you not only "how to do", but what he knows stands up and works in competition rounds at the highest, most stressful levels. So if you want to be a good putter this is one of the books you need to read.

As we are all a bit contrary and like to read other authors' work before following, I would suggest a read of Dave Pelz, Stan Utley, and Geoff Mangum. Stan and Dave Stockton believe in a curved path to the ball, with a rotation of the shoulders, and Dave Pelz and Geoff Mangum believe in a straight back, straight through path for the putter face.

I'm very analytical, so of course I read one of each and then settled on the ones that most closely matched my own golf coach's teaching - Stan Utley and Dave Stockton. My two picks measures 3/4" thick when placed one on the other - that's more than enough for me. Geoff Mangum's and Dave Pelz's books on top of each other is too much for me - 2"

OtterBox Defender Series Cover for iPhone 5c - Wild Orchid
OtterBox Defender Series Cover for iPhone 5c - Wild Orchid
Price: 27.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Tough Over, 24 Mar 2014
Not all that cheap, but this cover does a great job in a sort of two layer construction. You put the first "cover" onto the phone then you click the "outer cover" around that so ts is very shock proof. This is the most shock resistant cover I have ever had. Lots of others have done the detail on this cover, so I'll just summerise and say this is probably the one you need for rough environments. Maybe there is a better one - but I haven't found it or used it yet.

Slow Burn: Burn Fat Faster by Exercising Slower
Slow Burn: Burn Fat Faster by Exercising Slower
by Stu Mittleman
Price: 9.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book on Training for Longer Distances and Generally Keeping Fit, 24 Mar 2014
Reading this reminded me of the training advice from a book I read in 1965 by Percy Cerutti (?) an Australian coach who though training should be fun and less intensive. He and his alta ego Franz Stamf (?) had really different appraoches - fun/less pain v. intensive/less time/scientific - both coached Olypians so both way could be shown to succeed. But Percy's approach seemed to fade over the years for the intensive, scientific, grinding it out to a plan approach.

Here we have Percy's work relaunched in some ways. Gentler training regime, more fun, better use of body fat rather than burning only sugars, way less pain, but much more extensive in how time is spent.

It's pretty much all been said on other reviews - but if you would like to find a better regime than pounding the pavements in pain to get fit and /or lose weight, then this is a great book to get you replanning your schedule for more fun less pain - but with a more effective end result.

Merkur 23C Long Handle Chrome Plated DE Safety Razor (one razor blade included)
Merkur 23C Long Handle Chrome Plated DE Safety Razor (one razor blade included)
Offered by SHAVINGWORLD
Price: 22.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great retro Shaver, 24 Mar 2014
I wanted to try and go back to old style shaving since razors seemed to be getting so expensive. The blades can be bought for less than 5p so that's a huge cost saving. I find the Astra blades I have been using give me about 4-5 days use. That's not quite the week I used to get with Gillette Platinum blades - but I was 20 then and 67 now - maybe my face is tougher (Ha!)

The Merkur razor is the best quality razor I have ever come across and having worked for Gillette in 1967/68 I saw lots of razors.

The chrome seems very good quality with that deep chrome look that suggests this razor will stay looking good for many years.

This one is the simple three piece type that takes the old style blades - watch your fingers when loading up a new blade or taking out the old one - and you will have to consider how you will dispose of the old blades - despite being used they are still uber sharp. (Oh come on ...it is a German product.)

So... nice quality, heavy quality feel about it, although quite expensive you will then be into a penny a day shaving costs - lastly be careful handling the blades for this razor.

Kitchen Craft Poachette Rings / Egg Rings, Non-Stick Set of 2
Kitchen Craft Poachette Rings / Egg Rings, Non-Stick Set of 2
Price: 3.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for What They Do, 24 Mar 2014
You can use theses to shape a rice column, as an egg ring and for me, to make my own crumpets. Work perfectly and making crumpets certainly surprises everyone. Crumpet production apparently being one of life's great mysteries.

Very nice quality and should last for years. Non-stick and sturdy construction. ( I'll need a couple more so I'd advise you get four (two packs) or you will slow your production line down.)

Anyway Anyhow Anywhere: The Complete Chronicle of the Who 1958-1978
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere: The Complete Chronicle of the Who 1958-1978
by Andy Neill
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Much a Full List of Gigs and a Few Stories, 24 Mar 2014
Vey interesting if you were around in the 60s to see the places they played and remeber the venues. The Oldfield, Goldhawk Road, Forrest Gate, Greenwich Town Hall and the story of why. Not sure all the stories are here though. It's a very comprehensive list of gigs and venues but if you wanted a full scale biography ofthe band this book will need to be complimented with more litrature. I played in a warm up band at the same gigs as the Who in 64. Some of the stories are missing. I don't know anything about the light green commer van eventually conking out on the A1 - but I do remember The Who's previous management turning up at A Wealdstone gig and 'repossing' the van, because all the Who's gear had to go into our van to get it home. Maybe some stories are so un-rock-and-roll they need to be rubbed out?

Q2612A - 1 Remanufactured toner cartridge replacement for HP Laserjet 1010, 1012, 1015, 1018, 1020, 1020 Plus, 1022, 1022N, 1022NW, 3015 All-In-One, 3020 All-In-One, 3030 All-In-One, 3050, 3052, 3055, M1005MFP, M1319, M1319F MFP, printer, Q2612A, 12A, 2000 pages

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Just Fine, 24 Mar 2014
What can you say about powder cartridges - it works just like an riginal as far as I can tell - and I've used all srts overr the last ten years. Much less expensive. Does the job. As a musician and teacher this is just fine for me. If you are a solicitor or accountant you might want the better quality of an original - just in case - but you are charging clients a lot more than I do!

ChargerCity Exclusive Apple iphone 5 4S 4 3GS Samsung Galaxy S S1 S2 S3 S4 Note HTC ONE X Motorola Moto X Google Nexus 4 360 Multi Angel Adjustment Tripod Adapter & Easy-Adjust Smartphone Holder *Please note that Phone & Tripod is not included with purchase*
Offered by ChargerCity
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Having Your Hand Hold Your Phone on a Tripod, 24 Mar 2014
The only way I could scrobe this to a friend was to say it's pretty much like your hand holding your phone whilst videoing except it is made of quality plastic and mounts on a tripod. Dead easy to usee and set up - screw it to your tripod (yes it needs your own tripod or one of those octopussy things - I have both) adjust the positioning via a ball joint on the side - open the hand/jaws put the phone in sideway or upright - click on for a selfy or scene.

Great for my app - filming my golf swing. Get the tripod in the right place with this clamp on it - use the self video setting so you can see what you are videoing of yourself - click on - do your stuff - click off - open jaws, take phone out and look at the results. This very easy way to mount the phone and then take it out again is the killer app for this type of product - the last thing I need is a difficult, finicketty way to get the phone out so I can view the video.

I would imagine that wind would effect its stability and make it judder a little - afterall it is made of sturdy plastic not a steel casting (but a steel one would have cost you 50 I'd guess) but I've had no problem yet - but who want to practice and video in 25mph winds anyway!

Summary - very good to use, simple to mount on the tripod and mount the phone. Easy to take the phone out and remount - this is the tripod phone mount you need if you are going to be putting the phone on and off the tripod - like I do for golf swing videos.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2014 5:17 PM BST