Profile for Arwen Bijker > Reviews

Logitech H330 USB Headset
Offered by Ailati Group srl
Price: 19.71

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound quality, but faulty, 9 Sep 2012
Bought this for podcasting type recordings. Quality is decent, run an Audacity background noise filter and it's good, but the stiff microphone arm doesn't allow for much adjustment, and I can't get mine where it won't pick up breathing and mouth sounds. This makes for a lot of editing work, and I'm not happy about that.
I'd be willing to accept it if it actually worked without fault, but it's taken to randomly filling my ears with static in the middle of recordings. I then have to unplug, quit Audacity, then replug and restart Audacity. I don't know what is going on but I'm going to return it and probably buy something with at least an adjustable mic arm.

Blue Moon Rising
Blue Moon Rising
by Simon R. Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Need a second copy, 23 July 2011
This review is from: Blue Moon Rising (Paperback)
I have quite literally loved this book to bits. The pages are coloured tea-brown from age and use and bits of the book are falling out. Time for a new copy so that I'm able to keep rereading it every so often.

The Grand Sophy
The Grand Sophy
by Georgette Heyer
Price: 6.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, apart from the anti-Semitism, 7 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Grand Sophy (Paperback)
Echoeing the other reviews in that this is a wonderful story with a lively and entertaining heroine. The anti-Semitism however did cast a heavy shadow over it for me. I think that if I do reread it, I will do so very selectively.

Write Great Fiction - Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints
by Nancy Kress
Price: 10.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, detailed - great book, 8 Oct 2008
I bought four books of this series and found this one of the most useful ones; it's very practical and helps to become more aware of the mechanics of storywriting. For me it's something to take in, think about, and then let go to the back of my mind - writing with this book constantly next to you is probably not going to work out so well.

This book does not focus on getting a novel published, which I found pleasant (some of the others in the series do do this, and I find it a bit paralysing to think of that while I'm writing) but just on crafting a good story. One thing I would like to see different is exercises that are more open to the idea that the reader already has a story going on. Many of the exercises are about analysing published books, and I would like a little more working with an existing (or growing) story.

Janet Evanovich
Janet Evanovich
by Janet Evanovich

3.0 out of 5 stars Like the books, but what's up with the box sets?, 27 Nov 2007
This review is from: Janet Evanovich (Paperback)
When I first bought Plum box sets, the first set was 3-4-5 and the second 6-7-8. When I saw new sets had come out I thought I could just buy 9-10-11 but I've just noticed that the new sets are shuffled and now consist of 1-2-3, 4-5-6, 7-8-9 and 10-11-12. That's cool if you just began buying them, but I'm screwed. I will be missing book 9 or buying an extra set to complete everything. Way to go, publishers.
New buyers, beware of the box-set mixup!